Tell me about APPLE CARPLAY

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Ignore my title please. I've come back to my first post to update my request...................
If you have ANDROID AUTO in your car...I'd really like to hear about that.
I have an LG android phone that has "Android Auto" in the Google Play Store.
In the unlikely event that I bought a 2020 Mazda CX-5, I learned (after already choosing this thread's title) that I couldn't get my Android phone to interact with Apple CarPlay.....but I COULD get my phone's Android Auto to show up on Mazda's dash screen :)

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
If you have APPLE CARPLAY in your vehicle, kindly take a moment to tell me about it.
I just found out that many cars no longer let the consumer opt for a higher trim that includes a navigation unit. I was told that new Mazdas and many other companies as well come with Apple CarPlay. I HAVE paid extra on my last 2 cars for Navigation. This CARPLAY would be a different approach for me. 😎

lazyboy97o

CarPlay essentially mirrors your phone to the screen on the dash, showing select apps such as navigation apps. Android Auto is a similar offering for Android phones.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
CarPlay essentially mirrors your phone to the screen on the dash, showing select apps such as navigation apps. Android Auto is a similar offering for Android phones.
This car I shopped for....but probably won't get....has Apple Carplay. Yet I have an LG Android phone. Is the "Android Auto" something I could use in a 2020 vehicle that comes with Apple Carplay? Maybe I should call and ask Mazda.20200604_132505.jpg

lazyboy97o

This car I shopped for....but probably won't get....has Apple Carplay. Yet I have an LG Android phone. Is the "Android Auto" something I could use in a 2020 vehicle that comes with Apple Carplay? Maybe I should call and ask Mazda.View attachment 474556
If you have an Android device then you cannot use CarPlay. You want Android Auto and the CX-5 is listed as a compatible vehicle.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This car I shopped for....but probably won't get....has Apple Carplay. Yet I have an LG Android phone. Is the "Android Auto" something I could use in a 2020 vehicle that comes with Apple Carplay? Maybe I should call and ask Mazda.View attachment 474556

The short answer is no, they are incompatible.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
The short answer is no, they are incompatible.

I just called the dealership. I CAN get my Android phone which HAS an Android Auto app to interact with Mazda's screen that is set into the dash. I also have a YouTube video tutorial showing how you do that😉

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I just called the dealership. I CAN get my Android phone which HAS an Android Auto app to interact with Mazda's screen that is set into the dash. I also have a YouTube video tutorial showing how you do that😉

I didn't say you couldn't. Mazda has both options for interfacing with its onboard systems. What I did say is that your Phone using one cant interface with the car using the other.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto can be installed in your Mazda by your local Mazda dealer. ... In addition to the installation of the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto software, the most recent version of the MAZDA CONNECT™ infotainment system will be installed, along with 2.1-amp USB ports.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I didn't say you couldn't. Mazda has both options for interfacing with its onboard systems. What I did say is that your Phone using one cant interface with the car using the other.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto can be installed in your Mazda by your local Mazda dealer. ... In addition to the installation of the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto software, the most recent version of the MAZDA CONNECT™ infotainment system will be installed, along with 2.1-amp USB ports.
Thank you for your time. Have a nice night ;):cool:
I went back to my OP Post and changed the focus of the thread. ;)

Last edited:

5thGenTexan

Going to apologize up front. To have to make car buying choices based on if a phone will work with it is nuts to me.

Driving from near Dallas to SW Colorado when I was a kid in a Suburban with no A/C, no radio, and no phone. Just in the past month I figured out how to connect my phone to the car with BT and 90% of the time I don't bother because it too much trouble.

I understand I am in the minority, but it seems to me there are too many options now that just make things more complicated.

5thGenTexan

It’s too much trouble for something to automatically happen?

I gotta pick what service I am gonna use, then find a song to get started. When I start up and the normal radio comes on its ready to go, if I dont like something I can reach over and press one button for another station pre-set. For the most part I am pretty satisfied with 3 or 4 local radio stations. I do get cranky if I get too far away and start to lose the signal,

StarWarsGirl

I bought my Civic in 2018 and it has Android Auto. I bought it over in Toyota in part because it has Android Auto. I've been through two phones with it. The first phone was an LG, the second is a Samsung Galaxy. I primarily like it because of having Google maps up on my screen; it actually works better than the navigation systems in my parents' cars. It also makes it easier to use Google assistant; the voice prompt on my Bluetooth doesn't work with Google assistant. It doesn't work perfectly, but how it works definitely depends on how good your phone is. It works worlds better with my Galaxy than it did with my LG; my Galaxy was also much more expensive than the LG (normally; I work for a company that has a relationship with Samsung and I get steep discounts on their phones, but anyway...). I used to have all kinds of issues with apps crashing on my old LG; I don't have any issues with my Galaxy.

At least with my car, you do have to plug it in for it to connect; it doesn't just go through the Bluetooth. I just keep an extra cord in my car. It doesn't bother me because I don't always want music on in my car, so if I plug it in, the music starts, if I don't, no music. It occasionally cuts out, which I also think is because I have a cheap Amazon cable on there instead of a better quality one. I've been meaning to put a better one in there. All I usually have to do is unplug it and plug it back in.

You can also start apps from your phone and then they'll continue when you plug it in. A lot of times, I'll start my music and nav from my phone, plug it in, and then it pops up on the screen.

The app does update from your phone, not the car. It's gone through major updates since I got the car, and I just downloaded a new app and relaunched through my phone.

Overall, it's a nice feature, and it means you don't need navigation. I actually told all of the dealers I spoke to "Do not try to sell me navigation. I don't want the darn thing, and I'm not willing to pay extra, so don't even go there." Haven't once needed it; if I rarely need to drive one of my parents' cars, I still use my phone and always miss the Android auto.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I bought my Civic in 2018 and it has Android Auto. I bought it over in Toyota in part because it has Android Auto. I've been through two phones with it. The first phone was an LG, the second is a Samsung Galaxy. I primarily like it because of having Google maps up on my screen; it actually works better than the navigation systems in my parents' cars. It also makes it easier to use Google assistant; the voice prompt on my Bluetooth doesn't work with Google assistant. It doesn't work perfectly, but how it works definitely depends on how good your phone is. It works worlds better with my Galaxy than it did with my LG; my Galaxy was also much more expensive than the LG (normally; I work for a company that has a relationship with Samsung and I get steep discounts on their phones, but anyway...). I used to have all kinds of issues with apps crashing on my old LG; I don't have any issues with my Galaxy.

At least with my car, you do have to plug it in for it to connect; it doesn't just go through the Bluetooth. I just keep an extra cord in my car. It doesn't bother me because I don't always want music on in my car, so if I plug it in, the music starts, if I don't, no music. It occasionally cuts out, which I also think is because I have a cheap Amazon cable on there instead of a better quality one. I've been meaning to put a better one in there. All I usually have to do is unplug it and plug it back in.

You can also start apps from your phone and then they'll continue when you plug it in. A lot of times, I'll start my music and nav from my phone, plug it in, and then it pops up on the screen.

The app does update from your phone, not the car. It's gone through major updates since I got the car, and I just downloaded a new app and relaunched through my phone.

Overall, it's a nice feature, and it means you don't need navigation. I actually told all of the dealers I spoke to "Do not try to sell me navigation. I don't want the darn thing, and I'm not willing to pay extra, so don't even go there." Haven't once needed it; if I rarely need to drive one of my parents' cars, I still use my phone and always miss the Android auto.
Wow! Thank you for all that feedback!

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
So @StarWarsGirl , say you are in your vehicle....going somewhere using your phone and Android Auto......following the guidance....and then someone calls you. Does Bluetooth put the call through and yet you can still see the map? Talk....yet follow the map simultaneously?

lazyboy97o

So @StarWarsGirl , say you are in your vehicle....going somewhere using your phone and Android Auto......following the guidance....and then someone calls you. Does Bluetooth put the call through and yet you can still see the map? Talk....yet follow the map simultaneously?
Most cars do not yet support wireless (Bluetooth) Android Auto or CarPlay. Your phone has to be plugged in because they’re a bit of a power hog.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Most cars do not yet support wireless (Bluetooth) Android Auto or CarPlay. Your phone has to be plugged in because they’re a bit of a power hog.
Yes. My question to @StarWarsGirl was meant to be exactly that. When she is driving she has her phone plugged in....follows the map via Android Auto with her phone plugged in. Then when someone calls her...etc. etc...I already asked my question.

lazyboy97o

Yes. My question to @StarWarsGirl was meant to be exactly that. When she is driving she has her phone plugged in....follows the map via Android Auto with her phone plugged in. Then when someone calls her...etc. etc...I already asked my question.
You specifically mentioned Bluetooth which is why I responded that it’s not Bluetooth.

StarWarsGirl

At least on mine, the map stays up, but the voice prompts turn off. I just have to make sure I watch what I'm doing. On my Civic, it also shows the turn by turn on the screen in front of the steering wheel through Android auto, so if it's on a phone call, I make sure I'm paying attention to that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom