Telecommuting or working remotely while at Disney Saratoga Springs.

EricPZ

I was able to get a few hours of unexpected work in while the kids played in the pool at CBR on our recent trip. Wifi was spotty in our room, but worked fine at the pool. I could think of worse places to work...doubt my boss minded that I had a couple adult beverages while working on my vacation. :cool:

HouCuseChickie

Any half-sane company is going to provide VPN access to their employees. It pretty much eliminates all of these concerns and is relatively cheap.

I get the VPN part, but you've still got issues if you take your business outside the privacy of your room. If you have any kind of client sensitive info like SSNs, etc. up on your screen and you're in a public area, you're putting client data at risk. I guess it depends on your business, but in some industries, this would be a serious security concern.

HansGruber

I get the VPN part, but you've still got issues if you take your business outside the privacy of your room. If you have any kind of client sensitive info like SSNs, etc. up on your screen and you're in a public area, you're putting client data at risk. I guess it depends on your business, but in some industries, this would be a serious security concern.

Agreed, but I view that as picking through the garbage of unshreded documents. That's the ancient way of gaining access to sensitive data.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The Wifi has improved tremendously recently so that is a huge plus! I did some work from the Yacht Club last week with no issues. I think the wifi was pretty good even at the pool so I think SSR would work as well, but I haven't actually been to that resort so I cannot say for certain.

Thecorsi4

I do not think there has been a trip that my self or the Wife has not had to put in a few hours of work, I am self employed and she is an HR director... As much as we try and plan to not work things do tend to pop up, So I agree it is all about a VPN connection or make sure you can use your phone WIFi connection and should not have problems

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
It's sad we can't disconnect while on vacation. I do it too. A lot of benefits with technology - but some draw backs.

In the event you're having WIFI issues. There are a few business centers located in the EPCOT resorts area - YC, BC, Swolphin. I think there's also one at the Contemp. Should be able to get a decent signal there and escape the humidity.

krb201

We have an opportunity to go down for a week at SSR, but one of us has to work the whole time, or at least 8-5. That being said, working at the computer at Disney seems to be a better day than working at the office.
Have computer, batteries, headphones and headset for conference calls (so as to not disturb others) and everything needed.
The question is, has anyone done this, specifically at SSR poolside and is it doable? We can set up at a table, maybe off to the side, either at the Congress Park quiet pool or the Grandstand pool, where there would be less people than at the other two pools (might even wander over to the Treehouse pool).
Is the wi-fi reliable enough for conference calls lasting a couple of hours, emails, sending reports, receiving reports etc...?
The idea is to spend some time hanging out poolside with (or within reasonable proximity) to others, but yet working at the same time. That seems better than just hanging out in the room or on the balcony alone. Heck, in between phone-based meetings we might even hop in and make a lap or two before hopping back out, drying off and getting back to work.
Then evenings we can walk over to DS, do some resort hopping, ride bicycles and maybe catch some fireworks. Probably won't go to a park again this trip, so that is not a big deal as we have had parkless trips before, and worked before in the room, but only a limited amount, and a limited work schedule won't be possible this trip as life just keeps getting in the way of leisure.
Of course, the other choice is not going, but that seems like a less desirable choice.

What you plan is totally doable. I’ve worked at the hotels quite a bit for several hours at a time, though not all day for an entire vacation. Lots of places to park with a laptop - pool, lounge, outdoor counter service restaurant seating, lobby, interior nooks, conference facility public seating areas. I once did an hour-long conference call in Japan while it was pouring outside (regular summer afternoon) and my girls we’re trying on kimonos. They had a blast, I got an emergency dealt with, rain stopped, and we moved on to Morocco. Kids still talk about it 10 years later.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
As a follow-up to this thread, we wound up not going to SSR at WDW and went somewhere else instead and I was able to change the dates a little bit so there was minimal online work that had to be done. Could not get out of a couple of meetings, and one group conference call, but that was little sacrifice for heading somewhere for a 10-day getaway. Had we waited until the SSR trip, it would have only been seven days and those dates would have required almost a full work schedule, so all worked out in the end.
This was not a bad spot to put in a few random work hours, and I wore a WDW tee to remind me of our other trip we did not take:

Kauai.jpg

StarWarsGirl

@mkt's post made me think of issues that would be my employer's concerns. 1. Is it a secure network? 2. is company/client data at risk if you work remotely in a public area? Obviously, different industries/employers...different concerns...but stuff I'd be thinking about.
Little late here, but I work in IT, so I can answer your first question pretty confidently...

In short, no. Most companies provide a VPN for if you're working off the network but need a secure connection. Security systems are pretty much designed to protect company data while still allowing employees the ability to work anywhere. With the amount of travel that employees do now, both business related and personal, the protections are already in place. Cloud-based computing is also the future of IT, and this is even more secure and can be accessed anywhere.

There are bigger concerns out there. Like people clicking on links they're not supposed to, getting scam emails that look like they're from IT where they're prompted to give their password (and then they do), and my personal favorite "I found this random thing on the internet and I need admin credentials to install it onto a company PC." No you don't. :rolleyes:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We have an opportunity to go down for a week at SSR, but one of us has to work the whole time, or at least 8-5. That being said, working at the computer at Disney seems to be a better day than working at the office.
Have computer, batteries, headphones and headset for conference calls (so as to not disturb others) and everything needed.
The question is, has anyone done this, specifically at SSR poolside and is it doable? We can set up at a table, maybe off to the side, either at the Congress Park quiet pool or the Grandstand pool, where there would be less people than at the other two pools (might even wander over to the Treehouse pool).
Is the wi-fi reliable enough for conference calls lasting a couple of hours, emails, sending reports, receiving reports etc...?
The idea is to spend some time hanging out poolside with (or within reasonable proximity) to others, but yet working at the same time. That seems better than just hanging out in the room or on the balcony alone. Heck, in between phone-based meetings we might even hop in and make a lap or two before hopping back out, drying off and getting back to work.
Then evenings we can walk over to DS, do some resort hopping, ride bicycles and maybe catch some fireworks. Probably won't go to a park again this trip, so that is not a big deal as we have had parkless trips before, and worked before in the room, but only a limited amount, and a limited work schedule won't be possible this trip as life just keeps getting in the way of leisure.
Of course, the other choice is not going, but that seems like a less desirable choice.

Well not that resort but my DD just did this the last 2 weeks of August She shipped a monitor and keyboard she picked up from Goodwill to attach to her work laptop. She did this at the Contemporary and the French Quarter. She only had issues with loosing connection once and that was at the French Quarter oddly the resort they just supposedly upgraded the WiFi. She also brought a jiggler mouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom