Teeth - Do We Really Need Them?

Skibum1970

So, just over 47 days out from my upcoming WDW trip, I went to the dentist for a cleaning. After the normal scrape and polish, the dental hygienist said everything was fine. Great. Then, the dentist gave the once over and found that I had two cracked teeth (probably from clenching as they are opposing molars on the top and bottom). The teeth need crowns (ouch!) and will cost a lot of pennies, nickels, and even quarters. After agonizing, I decided to cancel the trip (day 45) and received a full refund (thank you, Disney). I do have two MVMCP tix that I'll eat but I still saved $1,600 in tix and room fees. Still, I am a little down about having the procedure but only because I had to sacrifice the trip. Thus, the title of this thread.

I suppose that I am merely complaining to a group that would actually understand how painful it was to make the call. Especially when the Magical Express tickets arrived two days ago after I had already cancelled the trip.

luv

That does suck, but given the choice between Disney and teeth, I'd have to choose teeth, as well!

Save up. You'll go another time!

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

That really stinks. You could always see if you can switch the dates for MVMCP and you can send them my way for when I'm there. :p

Hahaha. But honestly, I'd choose my teeth over Disney, but it'd be a sad choice to make. Too bad you didn't put off your appointment a few weeks, you'd already have been to Disney and wouldn't have to worry about canceling. Hahaha.

Upvote 0

wiigirl

Teeth first....sucks being responsible :p
75.gif

Upvote 0

thomas998

I think I would go get a second opinion on the teeth... I've had a cracked molar before, and I knew it was a problem because of the pain.. I find it difficult to imagine that you would have 2 cracked ones and not be feeling any pain.

I do know my wife had a pain in a tooth and went to a dentist, he was going to do a root canal and crown... She decided to go get a second opinion, the next dentist did a quick filling with no root canal or crown and her tooth hasn't been a problem in over 8 years... Some dentists are money hungry parasites, not saying that your dentist is but don't trust them when they start telling you you need expensive procedures and have no pain.

Upvote 0

Skibum1970

Original Poster
I think I would go get a second opinion on the teeth... I've had a cracked molar before, and I knew it was a problem because of the pain.. I find it difficult to imagine that you would have 2 cracked ones and not be feeling any pain.

I do know my wife had a pain in a tooth and went to a dentist, he was going to do a root canal and crown... She decided to go get a second opinion, the next dentist did a quick filling with no root canal or crown and her tooth hasn't been a problem in over 8 years... Some dentists are money hungry parasites, not saying that your dentist is but don't trust them when they start telling you you need expensive procedures and have no pain.

I would completely agree normally but this dentist is very good and typically will tell my wife or I to hold off if it is unnecessary. He even said that it could be a while. Apparently, no pain means that the nerve isn't hurt yet and thus no root canal. He did show me the crack (a light will illuminate the tooth like a lamp shade when no cracks are present).

Funny thing about all of this is that my wife is all sympathizing and feeling bad for me having to have the crowns put on. I, on the other hand, am merely depressed about canceling the trip. I wonder if my perspectives are right...

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Disney over teeth any day! J/K.;)
I guess if it's an URGENT issue, then of course your health is most important! But, if I could put it off and if it was "cosmetic", then I would choose Disney.:D

Upvote 0

Mukta

I am so sorry @pcaudill. Cancelling a trip is always heart breaking.
Personally, I would go with the idea that teeth are optional. We barely use them, much like our appendix. WDW is more important than teeth. ;)
I hope you get the teeth fixed up nicely and are able to plan another trip soon.

Upvote 0

thomas998

I would completely agree normally but this dentist is very good and typically will tell my wife or I to hold off if it is unnecessary. He even said that it could be a while. Apparently, no pain means that the nerve isn't hurt yet and thus no root canal. He did show me the crack (a light will illuminate the tooth like a lamp shade when no cracks are present).

Funny thing about all of this is that my wife is all sympathizing and feeling bad for me having to have the crowns put on. I, on the other hand, am merely depressed about canceling the trip. I wonder if my perspectives are right...

Even though you trust him, what is the worst thing about a second opinion? Maybe $150 dollars vs a crown that will cost over a thousand each... That said, if you do end up needing a crown seriously consider a root canal. I had a crown put on a tooth once with no root canal and then later ended up having to have a root canal on it anyways, that meant paying the cost of a crown twice... not a good return and a root canal isn't as expensive as a crown and is much less painful if your tooth isn't already hurting.

Upvote 0

s&k'smom

OMG I totally get it, had to cancel a day before once when we realized we had to buy a new car. I'm so sorry, but as one who had an absolutely painful dental experience years ago (infection in tooth), put the teeth first!

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I have the same things - stress cracks from tension and stress. They were found a year ago and I still have not had them fixed. I can't due to another medical thing I am going through and I can't undergo that kind of oral work right now. To answer your question, yes. But I don't know how severe your case it. If its immediate, they you need to take the time to fix them. If its like me, where they are stress cracks, then they can wait. I'm not saying you should wait, but for me, I have to wait. There is nothing I can do about it now.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom