Teen denied entry to AK for outfit....

Horizons1

Just saw this on the news last night. The girl was all pouty. She claimed Disney ruined her dream, which I don't understand. It sounds like she really believed that if she donned that costume and ran around Disney that she would really become Tinkerbell. Sounds like she may have a slight issue or two. But then she also claimed that there were other people dressed in costume and that Disney singled her out. I believe what she meant to say was that there were little girls and boys in costumes and Disney singled her out because she's too old to be doing something like that in their parks.

Sketch105

I think the controversy is that the parks are very wishy washy when it comes to enforcing the "No Costumes" policy. They say absolutely no costumes, but really they are saying "No adults with costumes unless you're with kids who are dressed up to, or you paid to get into a Mickey's Not So Scary Party, or you don't look that great to begin with"

If she's going to be an example of costume enforcement for good measure, how come the grown woman (not her child) was allowed entry for the last night of Snow White's closing? Oh, because she won't be confused for a character because of her daughter...oh that's okay!

dsc04766-282x450.jpg

Or the guy who dresses up at "Peter Pan", who says that he changes his costume to purple so he isn't confused for the Disney version and comes to the parks (I've seen him, just last year)

If you're going to have a "No Costumes" policy then you should enforce it for EVERY ADULT, not just 15 year old girls who seem to be "too good". No exceptions.

HihisIsKari..

To me this problem of enforcing this rule is a bit similar to people speeding and not getting caught. Some people get caught and others don't. And maybe some CMs are too timid to say something to the person? just a thought.

Anyway, I would absolutely love to be able to walk around in the MK looking like a princess, pretending that I live in the castle, and just be in my own little world. However, there's a little thing called common sense that stops me. I know this girl is only 15 and isn't quite an "adult" but she's also not a child that doesn't know where that fine line is.

DisneySaint

That's an interesting thought. Any CM's on here have any idea how many people are not allowed daily or even yearly into and theme parks for any reason? I bet it's thousands!

In my 3 1/2 years or so, or - more specifically - my 2+ years working in Guest Relations (much of which was the park entrance location), I encounted this "issue" MAYBE twice. It's not as bad as you think. There has to be a serious issue that the person would be recognized as a character. In this case, I think the girl resembled her enough to warrant being stopped. Even someone above posted their small child asked if it was Tink and wanted to visit with her. This isn't some guy that looks like Santa roaming the Mall; this is a private location with a trademark to protect and magic to preserve.

I think the controversy is that the parks are very wishy washy when it comes to enforcing the "No Costumes" policy. They say absolutely no costumes, but really they are saying "No adults with costumes unless you're with kids who are dressed up to, or you paid to get into a Mickey's Not So Scary Party, or you don't look that great to begin with"

If she's going to be an example of costume enforcement for good measure, how come the grown woman (not her child) was allowed entry for the last night of Snow White's closing? Oh, because she won't be confused for a character because of her daughter...oh that's okay!

dsc04766-282x450.jpg

Or the guy who dresses up at "Peter Pan", who says that he changes his costume to purple so he isn't confused for the Disney version and comes to the parks (I've seen him, just last year)

If you're going to have a "No Costumes" policy then you should enforce it for EVERY ADULT, not just 15 year old girls who seem to be "too good". No exceptions.

This, frankly, I have to agree with. How come it was ok for this person to get in but not the girl? Because SWSA was closing? Because she clearly wasn't the Witch because her pint-sized Snow White daughter was with her?

Clearly this policy is open to interpretation of whoever is working at the time. I think - just like most Disney policies - it would be difficult to come up with a blanket black-and-white policy that would be uniformly enforced everywhere. Hence the use of the word "may" be denied entrance to the parks instead of "will" be.

Oh and that Peter Pan guy ... holy cow, man. LOL

bubbles1812

dsc04766-282x450.jpg

I sort of agree with what your saying...the woman should probably have been asked to change but as it was the last night of Snow White, they probably would have made the exception...and not necessarily because you could distinguish her from the real Queen because of her daughter. Like Mom said, it's a "you may" be asked to leave, not a definite "you shall" be asked to leave.

When someone looks "too good" as you phrased it, adults and kids get confused and swarm that person to get pictures. It's a safety issue for them. And again, what happens if said person is a child molester? It's sickening to think about but I think it's a very real possibility. The guy in the purple Peter Pan costume is easily distinguishable from the real deal..no Disney Pan wears purple so he's not asked to leave. If he dressed in green, I'm guessing he would.

They ruined my dreams. I just wanted to be Tinkerbell.. If you are 15, and your dream is to be Tinkerbell, you have bigger issues LOL...

It is policy... end of story.. I agree with park officials on that one...

I was thinking the same thing as I read the story. PS: It took her 2 hours to do the make-up and an hour to do the hair?

Maerj

I'm suprised there are no comments from the Universal crowd saying things like...

"Well Universal would let her dress up as whoever she wants! Universal lets people do what they want..."

"I paint myself green and run around in purple shorts all the time at Uni and they never say a word!"

"I tell people at USF that I am The trerminator, I even wear a leather jacket to the parks and I never got any flack."

Come on folks, what are you waiting for? You are passing up on your opportunity.

DocMcHulk

I'm suprised there are no comments from the Universal crowd saying things like...
"Well Universal would let her dress up as whoever she wants! Universal lets people do what they want..."

Universal lets people do what they want... like guys walking around shirtless and people stripping naked to dry their cloths with the electric air driers.

Captain Chaos

Just saw this on the news last night. The girl was all pouty. She claimed Disney ruined her dream, which I don't understand. It sounds like she really believed that if she donned that costume and ran around Disney that she would really become Tinkerbell. Sounds like she may have a slight issue or two. But then she also claimed that there were other people dressed in costume and that Disney singled her out. I believe what she meant to say was that there were little girls and boys in costumes and Disney singled her out because she's too old to be doing something like that in their parks.

Hey Disney did ruin her dreams... She has a dream of graduating high school (MAYBE) and getting carried away on pixie dust to Pixie Hollow... And actually being anointed by the other real life Disney fairies as the new Tinker Bell... Cause like other teenage girls, she loves the older bad guy... She only hangs out with Pan so she can get closer to Hook...

Monkee Girl

costumes

I completely agree with Disney. I think the company tries to be understanding of guest's desire to dress up. They allow the adults to participate with the pirate/princess makeovers, and allow them to wear some costumes to a certain extent. But when those costumes causes an issue to the integrity of the company, then Disney has every right to refuse entrance.

Common sense definitely plays a part. I saw a woman last April dressed as Cinderella. She had a beautiful hand made costume but you could tell she was NOT the real Cinderella (sneakers, no wig, pushing a stroller) and she didn't try to 'act' like Cinderella either so she got a pass.

Another time, I went to the Pirate and Princess party and we wondered upon a 'Jack Sparrow." He looked great and was wobbling around in pure character, even talked like him. My sis and I actually thought he was the real guy so we asked for a picture and autograph. He was cool though because he took the picture but said something to the effect of "I am signing autographs over by the Adventureland Veranda" or something. So he knew not to try and 'be' the real Jack Sparrow.

As for the wicked queen, I would have to see a video of how she acted, but I don't think she looked anything like the real queen in the park, so they let her in. She was with a child and if she was just acting like a person and not trying to act like the character, then there was no problem.

It all depends on the cast member. Hollywood Studios didn't mind because of the theme of the park and the fact that Tinkerbell doesn't really appear there. But that doesn't mean someone else at another park will think different and they have every right to make that call.

slappy magoo

According to the rules, you may be denied entrance for being over 10 and wearing a costume. Not shall (which is an absolute) but may (which requires someone making a judgement.) So it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to take the risk, knowing that you might meet someone who will decide that no exception will be made in your case.

As someone mentioned earlier, does WDW want to deny a Make-A-Wish kid the chance to wear a costume, just because the rule exists? Or did they write it in such a way that it can be applied depending upon the circumstances, and a CM can use a little common sense?

A great point, one I had intended to make, but I'm easily distracted by bright shiny objects and I forgot...

Of course Disney gives themselves as much wiggle room as possible as to whether they will or won't ask someone to leave or change based on whether they're dressed like a character and how authentic their costume looks. Not to be biased about how attractive or unattractive people can be (looks-ist?) but Disney is probably looking for people in costume who could pass for face characters, and that's open to interpretation of management. Someone who would not considered by most people to be attractive, or someone overweight, or pregnant, or with an obvious mental disability like autism or Down's syndrome...Disney's probably not going to pick that fight because the odds are extremely slim those people will be approached by other guests who think they are CMs playing that character. I'm big and I'm bald and if I try to dress like Jack Sparrow, I'm going to get very few "look that's Jack Sparrow" comments and way more "do they really allow indigents in the parks like that?" comments.

So if you're the type of attention seeking sociopath who needs to dress in a costume in order to spend a day in the parks, and you're not a child, the rule of thumb is: The more you could pass for a cast member, the higher the likelihood you'll be asked to change or leave, so decide before you ride whether it's worth the risk, because the next manager who pulls you might not be so quick to whip out the free clothes and fastpasses.

Skooterkid

I totally agree with the decision to deny her entry. Could be very dangerous for kids if they want to take photos with someone they think is a character but is actually a pedophile. I commend Animal Kingdom and am shocked by how lax Hollywood Studios was!

yeti

Just like that Tigger-punch a while back: desperate attention-seeking blokes who can't control their whinertia. Honestly. It's because of people like this that I can't watch tv anymore.

What are you blubbing about? The free fastpasses you get on a sweaty June afternoon? So you don't have to trample onto Everest with the rest of the Tonga Toast-gorging herd? Dressing up as Tink never sounded like a better idea.

Sorry. This gets to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom