Technology is killing creativity

NickMaio

I think it is because projections on a immovable object are lifeless. Fireworks in the air drift move across the sky and appear in different areas to help hold your attention. Pretty lights on a fake tree or castle are just there, pretty much like christmas lights on your house. Sure you might look at a really well decorated house in the neighborhood at Christmas time for a minute, but you wouldn't stand their staring at it for 20 minutes when all that happens is different patterns of light.
I agree with you - - -
But also HEA is missing on other fronts for us;
-the music is missing something
-the narration lacks feelings and imagination
-the fireworks are amazing but need to be scattered out more - - not just around the castle.

The images are cool, but not emotionally connecting or engaging.

eliza61nyc

Wishes moved me.
which is great and I'm also sure they are people who get all verklempted over HEA.
The point is all these threads are subjective. technology is killing a darn thing. it's changing stuff but that's pretty much it.
Basically op simply likes one over the other.

lol, I can already see the pitch forks being sharpened, it's going to be interesting when illuminations replacement comes out.

Last edited:

Skibum1970

which is great and I'm also sure they are people who get all verklempted over HEA.
The point is all these threads are subjective. technology is killing a darn thing. it's changing stuff but that's pretty much it.

lol, I can already see the pitch forks being sharpened, it's going to be interesting when illuminations replacement comes out.

Sometimes, it seems that an over-reliance on technology develops and probably adds cost to projects that may not just justify ROI. However, I appreciate some of the tech applications. Using the castle as a screen for projection mapping is pretty darn cool. I really enjoyed "Wishes" and found "HEA" enjoyable due to the way that the castle was presented. For us, we like the blending of tech and old school. Using screens for setting while moving through physical sets is a great blend. Showing "windows" into space doesn't work without screen presentations.

eliza61nyc

Also, your signature "Year long retirement party" makes me wonder if you are being literal (makes me jealous) or not.
Lol. God willing I'm retiring next year. You should see the countdown clock on my computer.
33 years working for a big company has worn me out.
I'm hoping to have the retirement party at the world. Might be a party of one if it gets much more expensive 😉

Janir

Lol. God willing I'm retiring next year. You should see the countdown clock in my computer.
33 years working for a big company has worn me out.
I'm hoping to have the retirement party at the world. Might be a party of one if it gets much more expensive 😉
Year long retirement party at WDW? Moving into a Golden Oaks house and just gonna live the fulltime Disney Bubble life?

eliza61nyc

Year long retirement party at WDW? Moving into a Golden Oaks house and just gonna live the fulltime Disney Bubble life?

only if powerball comes through. I apologize, the tag is probably as clear as mud. it means I'll likely be able to go waaay more than usual throughout the year. I'm planning on 3 trips so far with 3 different groups of people and I want to finally get there for Christmas. so I think I'll get there probably once every 3 months.

Janir

only if powerball comes through. I apologize, the tag is probably as clear as mud. it means I'll likely be able to go waaay more than usual throughout the year. I'm planning on 3 trips so far with 3 different groups of people and I want to finally get there for Christmas. so I think I'll get there probably once every 3 months.
Once every 3 months. Yeah I'd call that a year long WDW retirement party! Sure a Powerball jackpot win and permanent G.O. retirement would be nice, ( I got those plans ready to go if my Powerball ever comes up!) but I love the idea of WDW trips on a every 3 month basis! You barely get home and you're picking FP's for the next trip!

thomas998

I would say technology can often kill things creativity because it makes often creates an opportunity to become lazy and just throw things together. Kind of like microwaves and microwavable TV dinners has resulted in a pretty much inability for a lot of people to cook anything else. Sure you can live on microwaved food, but after people get so used to using the microwaves they forget how to cook real food and that ability is lost. The technology of projecting images on the castle has become the microwave oven of Disney nighttime shows and it won't be long until the ability of them to produce a show without relying on the gimmick will be gone.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

It isn't the technology, it's the use of it. Technology can be used to make the most creative, most special show possible....or it can be used as a crutch to put in random clips from different popular movies.

The other problem Disney runs into with guests, is "Why wasn't my child's favorite character _______ included in your show???? our vacation is RUINED!!" type.

Incomudro

All I said was that it moved me.

Yert3

I agree with this. I also apply it to animation as well. Nothing will ever be as aesthetically pleasing as cel animation. Sure, CGI and digitally colored hand drawn may look more polished but lacks the soul. The imperfections, like seeing a mis colored cel for a split second, and just know what you’re watching actually existed in front of a camera at one point are what give animation charm.

Rich T

Technology is responsible for audioanimatronics, sound systems, lighting, food prep, the clothes you wear and every single mode of transportation except your feet that got you to the parks in the first place. You know where I'm going with this. It's not the technology that's the problem, it's Disney *using* the tools they've got in non-creative, ineffective ways.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I feel that if HEA were to go without projections the show would just fall apart where Wishes had its perfect narration and music and got by with just that. I’m sick of projections, I’m sick of characters and movie clips being a part of every show, even Epcot is going that direction it appears. I just pray that’s a 50th anniversary special and Epcot Forever comes back again.

Last edited:

the_rich

I happen to like HEA. It evokes emotion and is moving(to me). As for World of Color I saw it for the first time this month and i thought it was amazing. It was something completely different. They could take away the characters, retheme it and i would still enjoy it.

eliza61nyc

I would say technology can often kill things creativity because it makes often creates an opportunity to become lazy and just throw things together. Kind of like microwaves and microwavable TV dinners has resulted in a pretty much inability for a lot of people to cook anything else. Sure you can live on microwaved food, but after people get so used to using the microwaves they forget how to cook real food and that ability is lost. The technology of projecting images on the castle has become the microwave oven of Disney nighttime shows and it won't be long until the ability of them to produce a show without relying on the gimmick will be gone.

I think technology in that sense only "heightens" a persons environment and brings out their personality. for example microwaves were not really intended to replace home cooking. Humans got lazy but if you think about it that also led to a creative solution. someone started to think up more favorable meals that could come out of the microwave. One example now is the steam in bag vegetables. when microwaves first came out remember one of the biggest problems was they tended to make every thing "soggy and rubbery"? some smart folks started working on that problem and came up with a better alternative.

now the folks who generally forget how to cook a real meal, well a good chance they did't like to cook from the start. the technology just offered them a way out.

now this is the first show where I seen disney employ this particular effect so I can't say if they will lose the ability to make a more traditional night time show.

now I like both wishes and HEA. they are two different shows imo, I do like the music to wishes better but I think HeA is just a entertaining as wishes. so I don't think technology killed anything.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Idk what to say bc Wishes was boring to me, as well as Fantasmic and Illuminations. I’ve watched one of them each once...and all I could think about the whole time is I how could be riding attractions. So now I don’t even pretend... straight to the rides. People looking at the names on the windows of Main Street? Excuse me, got rides to ride people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom