Team Younger, Project Three: SYWTBAI Season 14

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
PROJECT THREE: HOLIDAYS CAN BE A REAL NIGHTMARE

- Inspired by the Haunted Mansion Holiday Project of Season Eight -

"Saint Nicholas is not coming this year. Instead, a much darker, ancient spirit. His name is Krampus. He and his helpers did not come to give, but to take. He is the shadow of Saint Nicholas." - Omi, Krampus (2015)

How-Terrifying.gif

In homage to my favorite prompt of Season Eight, we'll step back from the futuristic carnival of Project Two and travel into the moldering sanctum of the spirit world: The Haunted Mansion. For this round, we'll explore the ever-popular, but decidedly controversial advent of a holiday overlay for our favorite Disney spookhouse. But, rather than have each team focus on the same Nightmare Before Christmas prompt of Season Eight, Sandy Claws has prepared a few tricks and treats up his crooked sleeve...

Having opened Walt's Vault, @Basketbuddy101 - I mean, "Sandy Claws" - has unwrapped and re-gifted a unique, frightfully festive prompt for each team to explore. That's right, boys and ghouls... Each team will do something COMPLETELY different, as per Sandy's selection! Hee-hee-hee!

Snowman.gif

Your prompt, a subtle nod to the Phantom Manor prompt of Season Twelve, is a bit
trickier than the rest...

From Wikipedia: "Krampus is a horned, anthropomorphic folklore figure described as 'half-goat, half-demon,' who, during the Christmas season, punishes children who have misbehaved, in contrast with Saint Nicholas, who rewards the well-behaved with gifts."Team Younger, you are to cross the Atlantic and create an overlay for Phantom Manor of Frontierland, right in the heart of Disneyland Paris. However, your overlay must focus on Krampus, the anti-Santa of Central European folklore.

- The central theme of your overlay must pertain to the mythical Krampus, and not the 2015 film of the same name (look it up on CinemaSins).
- Remember, Phantom Manor has a prevalent storyline already. How you choose to deal with that storyline is entirely up to you.
- Like the prior prompts, we want an old-fashioned ride-through, right down to the dialogue.
- Create an original, non-IP character (or creature) to replace the Raven as the ride's unofficial mascot. Unlike the Haunted Mansion, the Raven is featured less in Phantom Manor. Keep this in mind.
- Do not borrow from Haunted Mansion Holiday.

tumblr_nz5j7zeEAL1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Also, this round will be a DOUBLE ELIMINATION. This means that the team in second and third place will both lose a contestant. Unlike the past two rounds, we will NOT announce a nominee(s) until the time comes to actually eliminate someone. So, stay on your toes!

Good luck, Teams! I will start the work threads shortly. This most festive project is due on Saturday, February 25th @ 11:59 PM (ET), 8:59 PM (PT).

Last edited:

Magic Feather

First off, for those who don't know:
image.jpeg
here is an image of phantom manor. Yhe first half is very similar to the traditional HM, but the back half is very diffnt, in going through a ghost town. My initial thoughts are
A: Krampus Terrorizing the Mansion and Town
B: HM is like a house of the darned for Krampus's victims, whose lifeless bodies we sees in the town later.

Magic Feather

Also, due to scheduling, I can't be team leader, but since we have lost twice in a row, we need change. I will gladly assist the team leader. My thoughts are-
One person- Queue/ Façade changes
One Person- Art
Two-Three- Ridethrough
One person-Corrections

IAmNotAHufflepuff

First off, for those who don't know:View attachment 190553 here is an image of phantom manor. Yhe first half is very similar to the traditional HM, but the back half is very diffnt, in going through a ghost town. My initial thoughts are
B: HM is like a house of the darned for Krampus's victims, whose lifeless bodies we sees in the town later.

I like A a littler better, it'd be easier to fit it in the current story.

- The Stretch room should be where Krampus enters the Mansion and begins his crusade of holiday terror.
- Music room could have some eerie Christmas tunes on the piano.
- Madam Leota room should have a big Krampus animatronic, while we are threatened by elf minions.

kmbmw777

First off, for those who don't know:View attachment 190553 here is an image of phantom manor. Yhe first half is very similar to the traditional HM, but the back half is very diffnt, in going through a ghost town. My initial thoughts are
I am pretty sure this is California, as I found the same image here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63631877@N00/3285581412

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Could we use the scary Krampus to make a more spooky ride?
Phantom Manor is already a more intense version if the Haunted Mansion, so we should keep that going and have the more intense haunted Mansion Holiday. BUT I would also advice against going full horror or anything. This is still a Christmas ride in a Disney park.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Also, due to scheduling, I can't be team leader, but since we have lost twice in a row, we need change. I will gladly assist the team leader. My thoughts are-
One person- Queue/ Façade changes
One Person- Art
Two-Three- Ridethrough
One person-Corrections
This definitely feels like a good run down. Whatever we are doing seems to not be working, so a change has to happen. Without Parradox, we are going to need a new artist.

Is anyone here good at art? I can be somewhat decent, but I'm usually better at cartoony stuff. @mharrington we haven't seen much from you yet. Are you an artist?

StevenU

Phantom Manor is already a more intense version if the Haunted Mansion, so we should keep that going and have the more intense haunted Mansion Holiday. BUT I would also advice against going full horror or anything. This is still a Christmas ride in a Disney park.
Okay

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I like A a littler better, it'd be easier to fit it in the current story.

- The Stretch room should be where Krampus enters the Mansion and begins his crusade of holiday terror.
- Music room could have some eerie Christmas tunes on the piano.
- Madam Leota room should have a big Krampus animatronic, while we are threatened by elf minions.
I like these! My thinking would be to have everything be Christmassy but wrong. Christmas songs are all in minor keys. Colors are just not quite as expect (blood red holly with green berries. Dirty white stockings with dark red trim.). Trying to trigger the same simple uneasiness of saying things like: pepper and salt, Josh and Drake, Dad and mom, etc. A Krampus Christmas is a Christmas, but wrong.

I vote we start in the mansion with a sense of unease as the narrator tells us the story of Krampus. We begin to notice the signs that the narrator says mean the Krampus is here. It's very intense and atmospheric. While remaining just a little too over the top (like how the current Haunted Mansion manages to avoid being too scary by being over the top) to keep it from being too terrifying. We enter the current Leota room and that has the animatronic Krampus as the big reveal, but still with dim lights so you don't get to good view. The narrator tells you to run! The krampus (and his evil elves or whatever) chases you through the mansion. He catches you in his bag (a tunnel where the entrance looks like a bag), and takes you to his version of the North Pole. And then the ghost town is Krampus's North Pole.

IAmNotAHufflepuff

I like these! My thinking would be to have everything be Christmassy but wrong. Christmas songs are all in minor keys. Colors are just not quite as expect (blood red holly with green berries. Dirty white stockings with dark red trim.). Trying to trigger the same simple uneasiness of saying things like: pepper and salt, Josh and Drake, Dad and mom, etc. A Krampus Christmas is a Christmas, but wrong.

I vote we start in the mansion with a sense of unease as the narrator tells us the story of Krampus. We begin to notice the signs that the narrator says mean the Krampus is here. It's very intense and atmospheric. While remaining just a little too over the top (like how the current Haunted Mansion manages to avoid being too scary by being over the top) to keep it from being too terrifying. We enter the current Leota room and that has the animatronic Krampus as the big reveal, but still with dim lights so you don't get to good view. The narrator tells you to run! The krampus (and his evil elves or whatever) chases you through the mansion. He catches you in his bag (a tunnel where the entrance looks like a bag), and takes you to his version of the North Pole. And then the ghost town is Krampus's North Pole.

I like this! A very good stairting point.

I did a bit of research on the mythology of Krampus , and he appears to be the anti-Santa Claus, punishing children instead of rewarding them. Maybe somewhere in the ride, have a scary yet over the top display of a child being punished (not gory or anything like that).

mharrington

- Create an original, non-IP character (or creature) to replace the Raven as the ride's unofficial mascot. Unlike the Haunted Mansion, the Raven is featured less in Phantom Manor. Keep this in mind.
- Do not borrow from Haunted Mansion Holiday.

tumblr_nz5j7zeEAL1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Maybe one of those demented-looking gingerbread men can be used in place of the Raven?

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Maybe one of those demented-looking gingerbread men can be used in place of the Raven?

That's a nifty idea... It fits with the narrative.

I think the first thing we should do is all examine the blueprint, then brainstorm alternatives for each of them that fit with an overlying Krampus theme. We have a really good start with @Pionmycake and his plan, so this can easily be done within a day or two.

I'd like to have the ideas finalized by Thursday night, so we have two full days to submit and edit the project.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Phantom Manor is interest in because it's mascot is the phantom and the bride. There is no raven and no narrator. With all the different European languages, Phantom Manor was designed so that language would be no barrier. It is very visual and atmospheric. The only voice you hear on ride is Madame leota and she speaks in both French and english. And of course the phantom laughing.

Maybe our mascot should be the Krampus as this foreboding presence similar to the phantom. Or our mascot could be Henry Ravenswood, the owner of the mansion (or a new, original memebr of the Ravenswood family), as he is hunted by the krampus for his sins. Have the two of them fill similar roles to the Phantom and the Bride from the current version.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
We also want to make sure our holiday mansion works with the greater story of Fronteirland since everything is connected there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom