Team TMNT Brainstorming Thread - Project Eight: New Islands, New Adventures

TheOriginalTiki

Serves me right for not looking all the way through the thread.

100% on board for this

Dragon's Lair can take Seuss Landing, Oz can take Toon Lagoon, Republic City takes Marvel. Alternatively, Dragon's Lair taking Toon Lagoon and Oz taking Seuss. We can figure that out today.

Right now my thinking is...

Toon Lagoon - Republic City (Air Temple Island transition into Kong is too good to pass up)
Marvel - Dragon's Lair
Seuss Landing - The Land of Oz

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
Right now my thinking is...

Toon Lagoon - Republic City (Air Temple Island transition into Kong is too good to pass up)
Marvel - Dragon's Lair
Seuss Landing - The Land of Oz
I got asked to extend to a double today so I’ll be on and off but I’ll take a look at Google Maps to take a look at how space can be configured

NateD1226

Good Morning team! I am all for the Avatar and Oz Idea. I also did the measurements of the lands just to see what we are working with.

Marvel- 10.89 acres
Toon Lagoon - 12.30 acres
Seuss Landing - 6 acres

TheOriginalTiki

We should probably get a jump on the presentation before Outbound pitches the whole thing as an Animal Crossing island or some such game-changing nonsense :p It's driving me bananas that I can't find a reference clip on Youtube for this, but Legend of Korra has a really cool way of doing their "Previously Ons" as an old school movie theater news reel with Jeff Bennett as a 1920's radio announcer. I'm thinking if we did the whole thing as a news reel in that style, that would win us some major points.

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
Tiki’s going to crucify me for suggesting this but what if we use Lost Continent for Oz instead of Seuss so that entire stretch becomes something of the park’s Fantasyland.

Tux

I definitely need to do a deep dive into both the games tomorrow. Mine carts are definitely a solid enough option, though I worry they'll be too redundant to Escape From Gringotts and even the Donkey Kong mine kart ride that may or may not still happen.

Throwing out a really funny idea that could potentially be fun with the 1st person perspective. The ride vehicle could be...the arcade cabinet!
Okay, I definitely see you're point about the overuse of the Minecart within the parks. Plus, the minecarts were from a spinoff game, so it would feel a bit disconnected to probably add them there.

The arcade cabinets sound like an awesome idea! As long as they could fit in organically/won't look or feel awkward when in motion, then I think it would work great with it!

TheOriginalTiki

Tiki’s going to crucify me for suggesting this but what if we use Lost Continent for Oz instead of Seuss so that entire stretch becomes something of the park’s Fantasyland.

My only concern with this is how good of a transition Seuss and Oz would be with each other. My main complaint with Seuss Landing has always been that it sticks out like a sore thumb thematically in the park. I don't hate it by any means like @PerGronStudio. I think if it were in another park it'd be fantastic. It just doesn't fit with the overall grand scale of the rest of the park.

Throwing this out there as the ride system for the Avatar E-Ticket. I could totally see this translating into on-ride "bending"

NateD1226

That would word but aren't they building a new coaster there? It would be weird to replace a coaster that just opened a few year ago

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
My only concern with this is how good of a transition Seuss and Oz would be with each other. My main complaint with Seuss Landing has always been that it sticks out like a sore thumb thematically in the park. I don't hate it by any means like @PerGronStudio. I think if it were in another park it'd be fantastic. It just doesn't fit with the overall grand scale of the rest of the park.
I was just thinking of this. I think you could have a really cool transition from Seuss to Oz to Potter. The interesting architecture of Seuss could make for a cool transition to Munchkinland, you could Follow the Yellow Brick Road to The Emerald City where the E would be, and then that can transition to the Winkie Country and then Potter’s Forbidden Forest.

TheOriginalTiki

I was just thinking of this. I think you could have a really cool transition from Seuss to Oz to Potter. The interesting architecture of Seuss could make for a cool transition to Munchkinland, you could Follow the Yellow Brick Road to The Emerald City where the E would be, and then that can transition to the Winkie Country and then Potter’s Forbidden Forest.

Love it. Though we should at least mention that Seuss Landing is getting a new coat of paint and maybe even look into paints that don't fade in the sun if that's scientifically possible. That's BY FAR the biggest thing Seuss has going against it.

NateD1226

I know @mickeyfan5534 said he had a vision but I just want to throw out some small ideas to get the ball rolling.

Taking over Poseidon's Fury and that general area is Munckin Land with a show, dining, or maybe even a ride inside the building.

1594592719898.png

Replacing the old Eighth Voyage of Sinbad are would be Emerald City with a trackless dark ride of the tour around Emerald City.

1594592864051.png

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
I know @mickeyfan5534 said he had a vision but I just want to throw out some small ideas to get the ball rolling.

Taking over Poseidon's Fury and that general area is Munckin Land with a show, dining, or maybe even a ride inside the building.

View attachment 483242

Replacing the old Eighth Voyage of Sinbad are would be Emerald City with a trackless dark ride of the tour around Emerald City.

View attachment 483243
This is pretty close to what I was picturing, however I wanted to almost totally reconfigure the space so there’d be a really natural flow from Seuss Landing to Munchkinland to the Emerald City to Winkie Country (where we could put most of the Wicked stuff) to Potter. When I get home I’ll draw up a map of what I was thinking.

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
We should probably get a jump on the presentation before Outbound pitches the whole thing as an Animal Crossing island or some such game-changing nonsense :p It's driving me bananas that I can't find a reference clip on Youtube for this, but Legend of Korra has a really cool way of doing their "Previously Ons" as an old school movie theater news reel with Jeff Bennett as a 1920's radio announcer. I'm thinking if we did the whole thing as a news reel in that style, that would win us some major points.
I love this. I can break out my old timey radio announcer voice if you’re into doing a video project

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
This is pretty close to what I was picturing, however I wanted to almost totally reconfigure the space so there’d be a really natural flow from Seuss Landing to Munchkinland to the Emerald City to Winkie Country (where we could put most of the Wicked stuff) to Potter. When I get home I’ll draw up a map of what I was thinking.
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 10.21.50 PM.jpg

Here's the very rough outline of my idea for how Land of Oz would be laid out. Mythos would be replaced with a restaurant based on Glinda's palace. Munchkinland would be something of a "step-up" from Seuss Landing. Rides a little more intense all themed around the Munchkins. A Poppy Field play area is further on while the Yellow Brick Road leads to a grand recreation of the Emerald City as ruled by Princess Ozma and the E-ticket lies within the palace and takes you on a journey through Oz (I'm gonna think of a plot later), Winkie Country makes up a dark, foreboding forest on a run-down offshoot of the Yellow Brick Road with the former Castle of the Wicked Witch of the West housing a thrill ride and a theatre holding an extremely abridged version of Wicked.

Backstage facilities will have to be moved around to accompany this plan but overall, it's a plan that really rearranges the space and has a really tight and interesting flow imo.

NateD1226

View attachment 483323
Here's the very rough outline of my idea for how Land of Oz would be laid out. Mythos would be replaced with a restaurant based on Glinda's palace. Munchkinland would be something of a "step-up" from Seuss Landing. Rides a little more intense all themed around the Munchkins. A Poppy Field play area is further on while the Yellow Brick Road leads to a grand recreation of the Emerald City as ruled by Princess Ozma and the E-ticket lies within the palace and takes you on a journey through Oz (I'm gonna think of a plot later), Winkie Country makes up a dark, foreboding forest on a run-down offshoot of the Yellow Brick Road with the former Castle of the Wicked Witch of the West housing a thrill ride and a theatre holding an extremely abridged version of Wicked.

Backstage facilities will have to be moved around to accompany this plan but overall, it's a plan that really rearranges the space and has a really tight and interesting flow imo.
Love it! You are totally right. It flows really well.

TheOriginalTiki

View attachment 483323

Love it. I really like how you subtly work in Wicked while still staying true to the books.

Alright, some general Avatar thoughts...

-I really like the idea of setting it between Last Airbender and Korra, maybe have the time period be within the first decade of Republic City being established. The concept of different benders and cultures living together is still very new and exciting. There's a "melting pot" feel to it all similar to the Roarin' Twenties New York vibe I keep stressing.

-A fun, if challenging element would be coming up with an original villain, but I already have an idea. What if there was a metal bender who's son was killed in the construction of the city. As far as I can remember, there's never really been a metal bending "Big Bad". We could even cast someone like Giancarlo Espisito to give the character a lot of clout and authenticity.

-Finale should definitely be adult Aang and Zukko fighting alongside eachother. Aang should be built up to the final moments. Maybe a more epic version of how the Shaman of Song is built up. The ride has a general "were going to see the Avatar!" vibe which goes wrong when the villain comes in seeking his revenge against Aang and Zukko.

-Toff, Sokka, Katara, etc. should all be featured, maybe each having a different scene and that's how we flow from one room to another. The day MUST be saved at some point by Sokka's trusty boomerang. Another obscure character it'd be fun to have a cameo for would be The Boulder!

-Teenage Bumi, Tenzi, and Kya.

What are you thinking for the Popeye's replacement? I was originally going for a boat ride through the spirit world with Jinora as your host, but with this timeline Jinora obviously wouldn't be born yet. Maybe we could take the same spirit world boat ride concept but have it be Zukko trying to reach Iroh in the spirit world? A ride showcasing an older Zukko's reunion with the spirit of Iroh would definitely be a powerful storyline to draw from.

TheOriginalTiki

Also just throwing it out there, Appa outlived Aang so he can ABSOLUTELY be involved. A giant flying Appa AA would definitely be a sight to see.

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
What are you thinking for the Popeye's replacement? I was originally going for a boat ride through the spirit world with Jinora as your host, but with this timeline Jinora obviously wouldn't be born yet. Maybe we could take the same spirit world boat ride concept but have it be Zukko trying to reach Iroh in the spirit world? A ride showcasing an older Zukko's reunion with the spirit of Iroh would definitely be a powerful storyline to draw from.
I really like this. I picture something like a longer Na'vi River Journey being this super atmospheric water dark ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom