Team Orbis Brainstorming Thread - Project Two: The Golf War

pix

Finals feel.jpg

Finals are over and I am sooooooooooo glad to be done for the semester. PLUS that means I got more time to be here. WOO

JokersWild

I've been giving the overarching theme a lot of thought, and I worry that going too far with it while totally limiting ourselves thematically. I don't think that the judges want a triptych - they just want three courses that compliment each other. Thus, I'd like to propose The Golfport: a hub area for each of our three golf courses. Each course would focus on a different aspect of minigolf. One course would be more innovative, another more thematically unique, and a third that's the classic minigolf experience. I think this is a good way to not limit ourselves and allow us to do basically anything while still complimenting each other. I know that I'm coming in at the twilight hour of this theme vote, but I just wanted to try to put it out there before we really committed to something. If you guys aren't keen to it, that's totally cool with me.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
So, about half the votes are in and it is looking like land/sea/sky is winning.

Any thoughts of what one we would want of those three?

If the results do turn towards yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy, any preferences there?

For the first one, I'm torn between sea and sky/space because both are such compelling themes that have a lot of potential for creativity/innovation. It also helps that we have an existing lands/park as a reference point though personally, I would prefer that we do something original or at least something adjacent to those lands/park's theming instead of directly "borrowing"/copying their respective concepts.

For the second one, I feel that the fantasy subtheme is very Disney and it would be fun to design a course around that subtheme. We could even create "zones" like the ones in Fantasyland in Disneyland Paris (like how Alice's Curious Labyrinth, Mad Hatter Tea Cups, and Toad Hall Restaurant are in the "English countryside" subsection). Though, the tomorrow subtheme calls for a lot of kinetics (symbolizing a "world on the move") which I admit would be interesting to incorporate in a traditional mini-golf course which, in my experience, is mostly static.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I've been giving the overarching theme a lot of thought, and I worry that going too far with it while totally limiting ourselves thematically. I don't think that the judges want a triptych - they just want three courses that compliment each other. Thus, I'd like to propose The Golfport: a hub area for each of our three golf courses. Each course would focus on a different aspect of minigolf. One course would be more innovative, another more thematically unique, and a third that's the classic minigolf experience. I think this is a good way to not limit ourselves and allow us to do basically anything while still complimenting each other. I know that I'm coming in at the twilight hour of this theme vote, but I just wanted to try to put it out there before we really committed to something. If you guys aren't keen to it, that's totally cool with me.
I get where you're coming from, but personally I feel very broad themes like "Land" or "Yesterday" give a lot more freedom while staying connected than limiting the types of holes available. I don't think we need too much to connect beyond just the broad strokes set up though.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
So, about half the votes are in and it is looking like land/sea/sky is winning.

Any thoughts of what one we would want of those three?
Judging from the replies (so far), it seems that the Sea and Sky subthemes are winning (@gam3rprincess voted for Sea, @Pufflefan voted from Sky/Space, and I'm for either). Can we hear from the others so we can finalize what subtheme are we're getting? I think the Sea subtheme would be a popular choice among all the teams, so if we want to get that, we have to finalize our decision asap (unless the team leaders agree to use a randomizer to select the assigned subtheme for each team)...

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Judging from the replies (so far), it seems that the Sea and Sky subthemes are winning (@gam3rprincess voted for Sea, @Pufflefan voted from Sky/Space, and I'm for either). Can we hear from the others so we can finalize what subtheme are we're getting? I think the Sea subtheme would be a popular choice among all the teams, so if we want to get that, we have to finalize our decision asap (unless the team leaders agree to use a randomizer to select the assigned subtheme for each team)...
Personally, I'd lean towards sky. I think we could do some really interesting things with changes in elevation and cool kinetics. Randomizer isn't a bad idea. But I'm cool with any of the three. Got some ideas for each of them.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Heck, the hole or two inside a cave is almost always the coolest (Other than the one at Fantasia Gardens with the motion activated Chernabog and lightning noises that raumatized me as a kid). Even Land could have some really awesome options if we get that. The three themes are vague enough we can do basically whatever we want with whatever theme we get. Plenty of options.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Looks like everyone has voted. Here are our top choices:
  1. Sky/Space - 4 votes (@Pufflefan, @Pi on my Cake, @AceAstro, and myself)
  2. Sea - 2 votes (@gam3rprincess and myself)
  3. Land - 1 (@Pi on my Cake)
Seeing as we've (technically) finalized our subtheme, what's our game plan, @gam3rprincess? We have 3 days left (2 for me, since it will most likely be the late evening of June 3 on my side of the world by the time you guys read this) to develop and execute a design for an 18-hole mini-golf course and present everything in a nice portfolio.

Last edited:

AceAstro

@gam3rprincess, would you like to make the announcement to the other teams?

While we're waiting for their directions as to how we'll go about doing this, maybe we should start brainstorming ideas for the course itself? I was thinking of maybe grouping several golf holes together so that we can use variations of the sky/space subtheme.
Full disclaimer: I totally stole what @Outbound wrote for his team. It’s a solid way to break it up:

• Introduction and Conclusion Paragraphs --
  • Holes 1-6 --
  • Holes 7-12 --
  • Holes 13-18 --
  • Concept Art --
  • Presentation --
That being said, if more people want to work on holes instead of presentation/ write up, that can easily be expanded to two people write 4 holes each, two people write 5 holes each and then intro/ presentation become one

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Full disclaimer: I totally stole what @Outbound wrote for his team. It’s a solid way to break it up:

• Introduction and Conclusion Paragraphs --
  • Holes 1-6 --
  • Holes 7-12 --
  • Holes 13-18 --
  • Concept Art --
  • Presentation --
That being said, if more people want to work on holes instead of presentation/ write up, that can easily be expanded to two people write 4 holes each, two people write 5 holes each and then intro/ presentation become one

Considering there's only five of us left, I suggest we merge the Intro + Conclusion Paragraphs and Presentation tasks together. For concept art, I assume those designing the holes can contribute to that section as well, then someone else can draw the entire map?

AceAstro

Considering there's only five of us left, I suggest we merge the Intro + Conclusion Paragraphs and Presentation tasks together. For concept art, I assume those designing the holes can contribute to that section as well, then someone else can draw the entire map?
There’s only 5 of us? I don’t remember seeing anyone drop out.

But I agree that “concept art” would be the overall map while the people writing the holes can supply even just pictures as a visual guide for each hole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom