Team Orbis Brainstorming Thread - Project Two: The Golf War

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Durango suggested the 4 elements: Fire, Earth, Water... Air is the theme for the lobby type area. That could be cool.

Citra had a suggestion for a George Milleas themed course (old french sci-fi filmaker. Basically invented the concept of special effects in films). We could do a whole Film History themed golf course. George Milleas Course, Charlie Chaplin Course, and maybe a Hitchcock or German Expressionism? Not sure what the third one could be. Very loose idea

EmFromPlanetEarth

Overall though, these two themes seem to have the most support among the teams so far

Also, we need a Project Manager by the end of today. Any Mini Golf fans want to volunteer?
i suggested golf courses about, movies books and cartoons. either have each hole represent a different franchise, or have each course focus on a single franchise, or have multiple holes themed to a set number of franchises, such as 3 franchises per course. One idea was a phineas and ferb golf course, based of the mini golf episode. and gravity falls could be cool too.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
i suggested golf courses about, movies books and cartoons. either have each hole represent a different franchise, or have each course focus on a single franchise, or have multiple holes themed to a set number of franchises, such as 3 franchises per course. One idea was a phineas and ferb golf course, based of the mini golf episode. and gravity falls could be cool too.
Movies Books and Cartoons could be interesting. Or Movie Books and TV. Or Video Game, Books, Movies/TV. A lot of potential to those types of themes.

Outbound

We should do a poll on which theme we want. We can total the votes for each team together.

Compiling all current ideas... maybe we could talk a bit more before polling? We're barely over 12 hrs but have so many ideas already!
  • Land, Sea, Space/Sky
  • Yesterday, Tomorrow, Fantasy/Present
  • Fire, Water, Earth
  • Books, Movies, and Cartoons/Videogames/TV
  • Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar
  • Nintendo, Xbox, Playstation
  • Mickey, Donald, Goofy
  • Music, SciFi Fantasy, General Magic
And then some specific IPs that could fit into a few of the groupings.
  • Onward
  • Moana
  • Up
  • WALL-E
  • Phineas and Ferb
  • Frankenweenie
Which is your favorite? Any specific thoughts or queries towards one in particular?
---
My favorite would be Land, Sea, and Space, partly because I'm biased cuz it's my idea, but also because I think we have the most freedom with such large-scale simple concepts, while also being a really effective theming tool not used by WDW yet.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Compiling all current ideas... maybe we could talk a bit more before polling? We're barely over 12 hrs but have so many ideas already!
  • Land, Sea, Space/Sky
  • Fire, Water, Earth
  • Mickey, Donald, Goofy
  • Onward
  • Moana
  • Up
  • WALL-E
  • Phineas and Ferb
  • Frankenweenie
Which is your favorite? Any specific thoughts or queries towards one in particular?

What I like about the first two themes is that it's vague enough for us to play around with but still fences us in within a specific subtheme, much like how the lands in the Disney parks work (bar Galaxy's Edge, Avengers Campus, Cars Land, Toy Story Land, etc., that is). Also, isn't the Fire, Water, Earth theme a bit too similar with the Land, Sea, and Sky/Space theme?

My main concern with the "Books, Movies, and Cartoons/Videogames/TV" theme is that it's too broad a theme, even if we would connect it back to Disney. What genre are we going to stick with across all subcourses (fantasy, futuristic, superheroes, etc.)? Are we sticking to original Disney IP (anything with the Fab Five, Tron, Percy Jackson [I'm considering that Disney IP since it's published under Disney Hyperion], etc.), acquired IP (Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.), or even other IP not owned/no longer owned by Disney (Artemis Fowl, A Wrinkle in Time, Chronicles of Narnia)?

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I can do it if we have nobody else but I also know @gam3rprincess is a much bigger mini golf fan than me
I'm gonna join Ace in calling you out @gam3rprincess! (Assuming your class is done and life is quiet enough for you to feel comfortable with that)

• Land, Sea, Space/Sky
Top 2 are definitely my picks. Specific enough for each team's projects to be unique, but general enough to give teams a lot of freedom. Very simple themes, but very nice.

pix

I can do it if we have nobody else but I also know @gam3rprincess is a much bigger mini golf fan than me
I'm gonna join Ace in calling you out @gam3rprincess! (Assuming your class is done and life is quiet enough for you to feel comfortable with that)

If everyone is cool with me being team lead I would be glad to do it. I have a lot of passion for mini golf courses and once I submit my final I will be pretty much free (I do actually have to go back to work here soon but I am going back with less hours so I am still good)

pix

• Land, Sea, Space/Sky
  • Fire, Water, Earth
  • Mickey, Donald, Goofy
  • Onward
  • Moana
  • Up
  • WALL-E
  • Phineas and Ferb
  • Frankenweenie
---
My favorite would be Land, Sea, and Space, partly because I'm biased cuz it's my idea, but also because I think we have the most freedom with such large-scale simple concepts, while also being a really effective theming tool not used by WDW yet.

My personal vote is for Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy.

I would say again that land, sea, and space is a good broad option.
I also kinda like Nintendo, Xbox, and Playstation - purely for the fact that this season is meant to be crazy out of the box.

I would throw out the idea of NOT doing IPs. Or only 1 or 2 of the teams doing that. Because the parks are already so flooded with IPs and it has recently felt like the IPs are a cash grab shoehorned in where they might not fit more than what actually aligns with Walts visions for the parks and the overall theming of the parks (Hollywood Studios)

So I have Disney-themed as my first vote, with land, space and sea as my second.

pix

This is easily my favourite one.

I know y’all are huge fans of this one it just feels kind of lazy. It’s making Magic Kingdom as a mini-golf course. It’s not something new.

I’d happily work on any of them though!

I see where you are coming from and sense I am one of the ones loudly voting for this one I wanna kinda give my defense on this.

Yes it seems like it could be kinda lazy, however its really just taking a new spin on a traditional concept. There are castle parks all around the world that use this same format but even down to rides that are included they all have a little bit of that flair. Not many are 100% clones and this is taking those same core concepts and putting it into a new format. Consider maybe people who can't afford the parks, or who are easily overstimulated by rides and crowds by taking these same feelings and moving them into a more accessible format really brings that classic Disney magic to a wider audience and I think that is kinda at the core of what Disneyland set out to be originally.

AAAAND I can step off my soap box now I am down for whatever the consensus ends up being I just got a lot of feels about this project.

(also and this is not a knock against the other ideas I swear but the second choice is land sea sky which is also already a theme seen in parks, namely EPCOT which again i will stand by what I said above that is not really lazy and i still think it could be a great theme for it but they both are not exactly "original" its what we make with them that counts.)

AceAstro

Yes it seems like it could be kinda lazy, however its really just taking a new spin on a traditional concept. There are castle parks all around the world that use this same format but even down to rides that are included they all have a little bit of that flair. Not many are 100% clones and this is taking those same core concepts and putting it into a new format. Consider maybe people who can't afford the parks, or who are easily overstimulated by rides and crowds by taking these same feelings and moving them into a more accessible format really brings that classic Disney magic to a wider audience and I think that is kinda at the core of what Disneyland set out to be originally.
This is a fair defense. I am definitely still fine either way!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So, about half the votes are in and it is looking like land/sea/sky is winning.

Any thoughts of what one we would want of those three?

If the results do turn towards yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy, any preferences there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom