Team Danny DeVito From Dumbo - "The Forward Thinking Finale" Brainstorming

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
A big congats to each of the final three. You've made it as far as you can in this game and from here on out the raw quintessential pillars of the creative and social game will come together once more as the three of you regroup the best named team in the game's history for one final encore. The prompt itself is relatively simple. There' a lot of speculation going on about what "Disney Forward" could possibly mean for the future of the Anaheim property. For those not in the know, were going to be looking at this area in particular.

1629158326645.png

As you can see, Disney has some big plans for both the Paradise Pier Hotel parking lot and surrounding areas in between that hotel and the Disneyland Hotel, as well as the area that used to be Rainforest Cafe all the way up through to the parking lot behind the monorail station and Disneyland hotel. What this means for Team Danny DeVito From Dumbo is TWO expansions to the Disneyland Resort. One for DCA, one for Disneyland Park. There shouldn't be any timeline shenanigans involved and instead be looked at with all the real-world prospects of theme park industrial hurdles as if you were in the room developing these expansions with Disney.

Realism will be critical here. Another thing to consider is both expansions must have a creative pedestrian bridge to actually link from the main parks to the expansion pads, as well as some major thought that must be put into the crowd control element of opening two major expansions that are essentially going to be in literal dead-ends of the park. This project is real-world Imagineering at its most prime. It's putting technical limits up with creative know-how. This will be your FINAL test to show off all the skills you've learned along the way. At the end of this project there will be a Jury Speaks podcast which will then IMMEDIATELY follow a live vote reveal. The Jury Speaks segment is at a date yet to be determined, but the project itself is due Tuesday, August 24th at 11:59PM Eastern/7:59PM Pacific. Please keep ALL brainstorming public.​

Chaos Cat

At the end of this project there will be a Jury Speaks podcast which will then IMMEDIATELY follow a live vote reveal. The Jury Speaks segment is at a date yet to be determined, but the project itself is due Tuesday, August 24th at 11:59PM Eastern/7:59PM Pacific.​
So to put it another way:
The Council will decided your fate.
E89FnuZVUAAb3Xf

(Look, they were just reveled and I wanted to make this joke before it gets old.)

Sharon&Susan

I'm glad I could make it this far! I thought I blew it for sure when pretty much everyone else had very wonderful presentations for their great projects compared to my forum post meme LOTR project. I'm definitely excited to work on this prompt since Disneyland is so near and dear to my heart!

One thing to keep in mind is where we enter to these expansions. Tentative maps show where the bridges will roughly be, but not where you enter it from. I definitely think a NOS entrance (underneath the train station) where you enter into a catacomb type thing or secret sewer path would hide that you're on a bridge above traffic really well and would really great for a transition into a Pirates area (if we want to do that).

Mickeynerd17

I'm glad I could make it this far! I thought I blew it for sure when pretty much everyone else had very wonderful presentations for their great projects compared to my forum post meme LOTR project. I'm definitely excited to work on this prompt since Disneyland is so near and dear to my heart!

One thing to keep in mind is where we enter to these expansions. Tentative maps show where the bridges will roughly be, but not where you enter it from. I definitely think a NOS entrance (underneath the train station) where you enter into a catacomb type thing or secret sewer path would hide that you're on a bridge above traffic really well and would really great for a transition into a Pirates area (if we want to do that).
I agree! My mind turns to Fantasy Springs at TDL and how they're disguising that.

Although that is a concern we'll have to address, I think we should brainstorm what themes we want in these two new areas before we go any further.

Sharon&Susan

Talking IPs, I think we can easily cross off Star Wars. There's already enough Star Wars in Disneyland between Tomorrowland and of course Galaxy's Edge.

How would we feel about a second Marvel land? Personally I think it'd be weird to have two Marvel sections at opposite ends of the park (DCA), but I don't really mind if one of you want to squeeze your dream Loki or Wakanda land in there.

I like the idea of a Mexico themed area with a Coco E Ticket and it'd make sense as the first land you'd see after exiting Pixar Pier while having ties to California's heritage.

Mickeynerd17

How would we feel about a second Marvel land? Personally I think it'd be weird to have two Marvel sections at opposite ends of the park (DCA), but I don't really mind if one of you want to squeeze your dream Loki or Wakanda land in there.
I think Wakanda was already rumored to be in one of those plots because the jaguar rock formation was spotted in the concept art, but it's definitely a route we can take!

As far as other Marvel properties, I just had a weird idea of doing WandaVision as an entire land by basically building Westfield and having some headliner E-ticket to go with it. The thematic property might be too new, but I think it would be a killer land if done properly.

Outbound

Ayyy we made it to the finale team!

I think we need to decide whether we want to go IP crazy (which is admittedly more realistic for Disney) or more traditionally oriented and try molding these lands into the style of each park. So a traditional “Americana” Land for DL and some California type Land for DCA. Given the phrase, “realism is key” I’m thinking IPs are the way to go, but ideally we can fit the IPs into the general mold of each park.

One side could be maybe this area requires additional admission for each park? Perhaps it could be part zoo, or part interactive event like Galaxy’s Edge that clearly separates things from the rest. That might explain why it’s so far out from the rest of the area.

Outbound

Ayyy we made it to the finale team!

I think we need to decide whether we want to go IP crazy (which is admittedly more realistic for Disney) or more traditionally oriented and try molding these lands into the style of each park. So a traditional “Americana” Land for DL and some California type Land for DCA. Given the phrase, “realism is key” I’m thinking IPs are the way to go, but ideally we can fit the IPs into the general mold of each park.

One side could be maybe this area requires additional admission for each park? Perhaps it could be part zoo, or part interactive event like Galaxy’s Edge that clearly separates things from the rest. That might explain why it’s so far out from the rest of the area.
If we go the “zoo” route…

Disneyland hosts Wakanda from the MCU, which thematically connects to nearby Adventureland. In addition to an exciting new e-ticket themed to the Battle of Wakanda from Infinity War, Wakanda hosts exhibits of smaller African animals such as zebras, meerkats, and even some giraffes. Animatronic “war rhinos” are also present. MCU characters appear alongside real safari research and exhibits.

DCA hosts the Marine Life Institute from Finding Dory, inspired by the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California. This provides a “SeaWorld” style park (but much more respectful to the animals, of course) with both exhibits, a water ride themed to the plot of Finding Dory, and a relocated Turtle Talk. Finding Nemo characters appear alongside real marine-life research and exhibits.

Each of these areas are accessible by up-charge, which makes sense given both the presence of animals (DL land, DCA aquatic), a new feature at a Disneyland park, and their difficult to reach location that otherwise risks becoming a major traffic choke point. Each also features an IP that is not only extremely marketable, but also fits perfectly with the theme and established areas of its respective park.

Thoughts? We can swap out the IPs, but I think a “mini-zoo” direction might help set our project apart.

DA8D880F-0E92-48A1-B794-471DB1197237.jpeg

C29D5A1F-BCD7-471E-934A-2C0EE96A8CBA.png

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

If we go the “zoo” route…

Disneyland hosts Wakanda from the MCU, which thematically connects to nearby Adventureland. In addition to an exciting new e-ticket themed to the Battle of Wakanda from Infinity War, Wakanda hosts exhibits of smaller African animals such as zebras, meerkats, and even some giraffes. Animatronic “war rhinos” are also present. MCU characters appear alongside real safari research and exhibits.

DCA hosts the Marine Life Institute from Finding Dory, inspired by the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California. This provides a “SeaWorld” style park (but much more respectful to the animals, of course) with both exhibits, a water ride themed to the plot of Finding Dory, and a relocated Turtle Talk. Finding Nemo characters appear alongside real marine-life research and exhibits.

Each of these areas are accessible by up-charge, which makes sense given both the presence of animals (DL land, DCA aquatic), a new feature at a Disneyland park, and their difficult to reach location that otherwise risks becoming a major traffic choke point. Each also features an IP that is not only extremely marketable, but also fits perfectly with the theme and established areas of its respective park.

Thoughts? We can swap out the IPs, but I think a “mini-zoo” direction might help set our project apart.

View attachment 580464

View attachment 580465
I have a couple of concerns. First both these expansion spots are both around 30 acres big about twice the size of Galaxy's Edge (which is already a gigantic land compared to pretty much everything else in at the Disneyland Resort), while I could kind of see Wakanda using that much space if we made it AK style, I can't really see the Marine Life Institute from Dory deserving that much space.

I also think limiting it to one IP could be shortsighted, especially in Anaheim where they need all the space they can get. If hypothetically Finding Nemo or the MCU go out of style Disney is stuck with reworking an area larger than NOS, Frontierland, and Critter Country combined.

Making it an upcharge also complicates our project as it basically makes these mini parks which would complicate things a ton (like how do Magic Key passes work or can you buy tickets to the expansion inside the park?) and distracting us from the meat and bones of the project, what's actually in the park itself.

Third, I normally wouldn't bring this up this early, but since it is a big factor to this prompt: realism. Would Disney really want to build two zoo-like parks in Anaheim, especially when they have a much more pressing concern of running out of expansion space for new rides/lands based off their newest/most popular movies there? Is there much demand for a zoo or a Seaworld-like park by Disney in California

Two zoo-like mini parks would definitely make us stand out, but I don't know if it'd be worth it at the expense of variety and realism.

Mickeynerd17

I have a couple of concerns. First both these expansion spots are both around 30 acres big about twice the size of Galaxy's Edge (which is already a gigantic land compared to pretty much everything else in at the Disneyland Resort), while I could kind of see Wakanda using that much space if we made it AK style, I can't really see the Marine Life Institute from Dory deserving that much space.

I also think limiting it to one IP could be shortsighted, especially in Anaheim where they need all the space they can get. If hypothetically Finding Nemo or the MCU go out of style Disney is stuck with reworking an area larger than NOS, Frontierland, and Critter Country combined.

Making it an upcharge also complicates our project as it basically makes these mini parks which would complicate things a ton (like how do Magic Key passes work or can you buy tickets to the expansion inside the park?) and distracting us from the meat and bones of the project, what's actually in the park itself.

Third, I normally wouldn't bring this up this early, but since it is a big factor to this prompt: realism. Would Disney really want to build two zoo-like parks in Anaheim, especially when they have a much more pressing concern of running out of expansion space for new rides/lands based off their newest/most popular movies there? Is there much demand for a zoo or a Seaworld-like park by Disney in California

Two zoo-like mini parks would definitely make us stand out, but I don't know if it'd be worth it at the expense of variety and realism.
You make really good points.

As for the upcharge, despite the complications it entails that's actually something I can see Disney doing in this day and age (even if I disagree with it). That said, I agree we should focus more on the lands themselves than the extra upcharge stuff.

Also, another thing to think about regarding zoos is the support facilities for the animals. We have a limited space in Anaheim that I don't think caters well to animals (lots of noise, urban environment, etc.) Plus, if the surrounding neighborhoods complained about California Screamin making too much noise, I really don't think they would be thrilled with wild animals right next to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom