Team Citra Brainstorming Thread - Project Two: The Golf War

Sharon&Susan

2. Georges Melies sci-fi/fantasy themed course - Partially indoors. Loosely follows the films and aesthetics of Georges Melies. Partially indoors for a group of lunar-themed holes. I'd love to have physical "magic" effects. His films were super effective in their use of stage magic.
I like this one the most. I think the use of illusions and special effects could really elevate it past the typical local mini golf place.
Back on team durango, i suggested golf courses about movies books and cartoons. either have each hole represent a different franchise, or have each course focus on a single franchise, or have multiple holes themed to a set number of franchises, such as 3 franchises per course. One idea was a phineas and ferb golf course, based of the mini golf episode. and gravity falls could be cool too.
To be honest, it doesn't sound that cohesive. I'd prefer to stick to about 3 themes that work well with each other than go all over the place with pre established IPs.

NigelChanning

Back on team durango, i suggested golf courses about movies books and cartoons. either have each hole represent a different franchise, or have each course focus on a single franchise, or have multiple holes themed to a set number of franchises, such as 3 franchises per course. One idea was a phineas and ferb golf course, based of the mini golf episode. and gravity falls could be cool too.
If we were to go the movies route, maybe Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars? If we were to go the cartoons route, maybe Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, and Ducktales? Maybe Kim Possible for the 3rd option. I love that idea btw

Outbound

We should do a poll on which theme we want. We can total the votes for each team together.

Compiling all current ideas... maybe we could talk a bit more before polling? We're barely over 12 hrs but have so many ideas already!
  • Land, Sea, Space/Sky
  • Yesterday, Tomorrow, Fantasy/Present
  • Fire, Water, Earth
  • Books, Movies, and Cartoons/Videogames/TV
  • Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar
  • Nintendo, Xbox, Playstation
  • Mickey, Donald, Goofy
  • Music, SciFi Fantasy, General Magic
And then some specific IPs that could fit into a few of the groupings.
  • Onward
  • Moana
  • Up
  • WALL-E
  • Phineas and Ferb
  • Frankenweenie
Which is your favorite? Any specific thoughts or queries towards one in particular?
---
My favorite would be Land, Sea, and Space, partly because I'm biased cuz it's my idea, but also because I think we have the most freedom with such large-scale simple concepts, while also being a really effective theming tool not used by WDW yet.

NigelChanning

Compiling all current ideas... maybe we could talk a bit more before polling? We're barely over 12 hrs but have so many ideas already!
  • Land, Sea, Space/Sky
  • Yesterday, Tomorrow, Fantasy/Present
  • Fire, Water, Earth
  • Books, Movies, and Cartoons/Videogames/TV
  • Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar
  • Nintendo, Xbox, Playstation
  • Mickey, Donald, Goofy
  • Music, SciFi Fantasy, General Magic
And then some specific IPs that could fit into a few of the groupings.
  • Onward
  • Moana
  • Up
  • WALL-E
  • Phineas and Ferb
  • Frankenweenie
Which is your favorite? Any specific thoughts or queries towards one in particular?
---
My favorite would be Land, Sea, and Space, partly because I'm biased cuz it's my idea, but also because I think we have the most freedom with such large-scale simple concepts, while also being a really effective theming tool not used by WDW yet.
I like Land, Sea, and Space but I also like Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar because it would appeal to many different audiences.

JokersWild

Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

In terms of our own course, of the ideas presented so far, I'm kinda partial to Melies or the music course, but I'd really love to hear a few more ideas before we really commit to one. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

We still need to choose a team leader as well.

Sharon&Susan

Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

In terms of our own course, of the ideas presented so far, I'm kinda partial to Melies or the music course, but I'd really love to hear a few more ideas before we really commit to one. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

We still need to choose a team leader as well.
Only other idea that I can really think of right now is industry vs. nature. Course 1-6 themed to nature, Course 7-12 themed to construction, and course 13-18 themed to big cities.

I'd be alright working with any of the themes proposed so far.

JokersWild

Only other idea that I can really think of right now is industry vs. nature. Course 1-6 themed to nature, Course 7-12 themed to construction, and course 13-18 themed to big cities.

I'd be alright working with any of the themes proposed so far.
I really like that idea, but it might be hard to find a way to not make that course depressing, haha.

Sharon&Susan

I really like that idea, but it might be hard to find a way to not make that course depressing, haha.
I guess the last hole by default will have to be Sonic defeating Dr. Robotnik then. hahaha
1591055279373.png

What about time travel? That could be interesting, though I feel like I’ve seen it before. I’m honestly not sure if I have or not.
Time travel could be cool, but I feel like it could just end up as courses with miniature versions of famous historical monuments if we're not careful, as its a mini golf cliche.

DashHaber

@DashHaber I’ve got a fever and the only cure is more pitching. Whatchu got. It’s ok if you don’t have anything solid. I’d just love to hear some other perspectives.
My apologies. Today has had me away from the forums for a bit.

When it comes to the existing pitches, I'd say that I like the Georges Melies and Land/Sea/Sky ideas. The Melies course would offer a variety of settings still bound together with the through-line of Melies's films, working through his visions of fantasy and science fiction. We could even have the big finish on the 18th hole be that iconic image of the man in the Moon.

Meanwhile, Land/Sea/Sky is a broad canvas to paint with, offering all sorts of possibilities. I know one thing is that I'd structure is with holes 1-6 based around the sea, holes 7-12 based around land, and holes 13-18 based around sky. That way, there's a sort of ascension arc as guests play through.

I'll come up with my own ideas in a quick moment. I'll step away, but only briefly.

Again, apologies about this.

NigelChanning

I hate to be the “IP guy” but I think a Marvel golf course could be really fun. An Avengers course, a cosmic course (guardians), and mystic course (dr strange)

DashHaber

Alright, so here is an idea I have: a carnival/circus theme.

I could see it structured with holes 1-6 as the midway, the entrance for this traveling show with holes based around classic carnival games and rides. Holes 7-12 bring us through the sideshow, with holes inspired by sideshow acts like a strongman or snake charmer. Finally, holes 13-18 bring us under the big top, with holes centered around familiar circus acts.

DashHaber

Also, if I were to throw in an IP idea, I'd say Gravity Falls. I know the obvious thing would be to inspire it after the mini-golf episode, but I can't help but imagine what a mini-golf course made by Grunkle Stan would be like.

JokersWild

Alright, so here is an idea I have: a carnival/circus theme.

I could see it structured with holes 1-6 as the midway, the entrance for this traveling show with holes based around classic carnival games and rides. Holes 7-12 bring us through the sideshow, with holes inspired by sideshow acts like a strongman or snake charmer. Finally, holes 13-18 bring us under the big top, with holes centered around familiar circus acts.
That sounds super cool. I really like it.

I do have an outline for time travel, and I promise that there are no miniature landmarks ;). I’ll get it posted when I get back from work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom