Teacups new roof? (not news, question)

MerlinTheGoat

Original Poster
I'm not sure whether this would be considered part of the FLE forums or just random rumors or even the regular board, but i had a question about some of the concept art. Specifically the big art here-
http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/MKE_Overall_FANTASYLAND-1600.jpg

What i was wondering was whether the teacups were supposed to be getting a new roof replacement. The art shows a totally different and much nicer looking roof than the current one seen here (i lack decent pics)-
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/4833349982_985c60209b.jpg

The concept art of FLE shows a roof more akin to Disneyland Paris' teacups ride, which actually as a glass roof-
http://www.dlrpmagic.com/images/pages/975/mad-hatters-tea-cups.jpg

So what's the deal? Is it planned to change the teacups roof, or is this just a little flourish added to the concept art to make it prettier? And if it is getting a new roof, is it supposed to be transparent glass like DLP? I'm sorry if this has been asked, i didn't see any prior discussion though.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Since it just had it's roof replaced back in November I would be surprised if they planned to replace it again any time soon.

JustInTime

It is rumored that the current roof is temporary. If you notice the new roof looks like it was built with the option to add at a later date. It looks like it has beams that could support some sort of new structor on top of the old one. If you see that roof in person it looks really, really temporary. If fact it looks kinda bad...so I haven't ruled out a new roof at some point.

FutureWorld1982

yah i herd the new roof is temporary also, it is already starting to rust

Yes, I'm almost 100% sure the current roof is NO WAY permanent, as they never installed the lights (for nighttime illumination) and the roof in general is not doing very well, because as others stated, it is becoming dirty.
Can't wait to see the (real) new roof!

Neverland

I was under the assumption that they were going to get a new, nicer roof, but then the money for that went to the budget for the Dwarves Mine ride when the FLE plans changed. The roof we got is exactly the same as the old one. They just took the old one off and rebuilt it with new wood and new paint. It's as temporary as the old one was... Except the old one wasn't temporary... :/

Right now I just want to see the turntable power washed. They repainted all the railings and the operating booth, and even took all the teacups off of the turntable, but they didn't think to wash it while the cups were gone. It's gross, and it looks especially bad now because everything else is freshly painted.

LudwigVonDrake

Right now I just want to see the turntable power washed. They repainted all the railings and the operating booth, and even took all the teacups off of the turntable, but they didn't think to wash it while the cups were gone. It's gross, and it looks especially bad now because everything else is freshly painted.

That's what I meant when I wrote I wanted the deck cleaned. It's disgusting and hasn't been cleaned in a long time.

castevens

DLP Tea Cups roof:

mad-hatters-tea-cups.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

Original Poster
DLP's is indeed gorgeous. It's the perfect hybrid of California's open-roof design and WDW's roof to keep rain out. I consider myself lucky for being able to see it in person when i was little. Truly beautifully designed. According to the FLE concept art, looks like WDW may just get a similar design down the road. Here's hoping anyways. Very much worth it, i hope it's not just artistic overhyping.

ob1thx1138

DLPs is obviously the better roof design, but I wonder if Florida's humidity and severe storms would require a lot more upkeep thus making it unsuitable for the Magic Kingdom....????

BriEcho3194

DLPs is obviously the better roof design, but I wonder if Florida's humidity and severe storms would require a lot more upkeep thus making it unsuitable for the Magic Kingdom....????

Really? I hope we do get that roof! It would be amazing for seeing the trees above while your spinning :ROFLOL:

ryanduggers

Why does everyone forget that Paris gets SNOW in addition to other weather?

Weather is no excuse.

FutureWorld1982

Why does everyone forget that Paris gets SNOW in addition to other weather?

Weather is no excuse.

Agreed. Paris' weather is really bad. It can extremely cold and snowy during the winter. But, maybe this particular kind of roof is more affected by rain, and even though in Paris rains too, here in Florida, during the summer, it should rain every evening, for at least 10-15 minutes...

But, anyway, I would love to see MK's teacups receive a roof like that!!

hpyhnt 1000

what a bout hurricanes, if a piece of flying debris hits the roof it will most likely shatter, unless they use extremely thick glass

Using impact resistant glass (which is quite common here in Florida and I'm sure is already used extensively throughout the resort) easily solves this problem. And at any rate, the roof would be made up of individual panes of glass, so at no point would the entire roof shatter at once.

The only thing I can see with a glass roof would be the possible accumulation of mineral or plant deposits from the rain and surrounding trees (just look at the build-up on the current roof after about a year), but thats nothing that a yearly cleaning couldn't fix.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom