Trip Report Teaching our niece about #DDTRW!

To all that come to this happy trip report, welcome!

I will explain what #DDTRW is a bit later when it becomes a relevant part of the report. but first, a Quick back story: We, (my wife and I) have been to WDW dozens of times since we have been together. We have visited on joint trips with my family, her family and even both sides of the family at the same time. We have most often visited with just each other. But this trip was something we have been trying to do for several years now and it finally worked out! We have wanted to bring one of our nieces or nephews on a trip with just us. We love having them spend the night or an entire day with us when we are at home but we have never experienced WDW with them sans parents.

My sister and brother were always a bit nervous about sending one of their kids with us when they were younger and I cant blame them since we do not have kids and have not been through all the scenarios that could arise with a young one in tow. But now they are all over the age of 10. We originally asked my sister since her kids have AP's but she kept stalling on getting back to us, (she is still a bit overbearing with her kids). A week or so later I was speaking with my brother and he informed that they may be skipping their annual Disney trip due to his work and also having some major house projects done. We asked if we could take his daughter "C", who will be referred to as "C-Minor" in this TR since my wife is also C. He agreed without hesitation!

My parents had a trip planned and were bringing all the grand kids with them and I figured since she would be visiting again with us shortly after, that the best thing to do would be to get her Annual Pass rather than have my brother spend money on two separate park tickets. C and I decided we would pay for her AP since my brother had a lot to pay for with his house projects. Plus, this would allow us to bring her on future trips if all went with this trip! C-Minor was absolutely over the moon when she learned she would be returning to WDW just a few weeks after her recent trip. And soon after, the trip was upon us!!!

IMG_20180709_052055.jpg

We headed out of Atlanta just before 6 am and were hoping to avoid traffic. As usual, I was up at 4 am and ready to leave at 5, but it somehow took C an extra hour to get ready :banghead:

C-Minor just woke up, hopped in the car and promptly fell back asleep for the first few hours of the trip.

IMG_20180709_074825.jpg

We did not encounter any Atlanta traffic and made excellent time on the road. We stopped in Gainseville (Fla.) to grab a quick bite at Maple Street Biscuit Company. C and her mom fell in love with this place on their last trip when they tried it. It was seriously good and highly recommend it. We ordered our food to go and hooped back into the car (with lots of napkins so we didnt make a mess).
IMG_20180709_112220.jpg

We got back on the road and made a quick stop for my "go-go juice" at the Publix in Apopka.

IMG_20180709_142000.jpg

Soon after we were under the arches!

IMG_20180709_133152.jpg

A few minutes after that we were home!

IMG_20180709_134349.jpg

Welcome to Jambo House at AKL!!

Up next, checking in to our room and heading to our first park!

Thanks for following along and sorry for the text heavy intro. Lots more pics to come!! Have a great day!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
For being there for C minor and having a great heart to heart talk!!

For trying to educate a fellow guest on line etiquette !!

For rocking the white shirt again !!

View attachment 323734

Max
I will be the wind beneath your wings. :)
What a great Aunt & Uncle you both are. Congrats to Minor on the Honor Roll!
She has been doing great this year. We are so proud of her!
:hilarious: Nothing but the best from now on, for C Minor !!
Wait until we introduce her to Grey Poupon!!!:D:cry:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Wait until we introduce her to Grey Poupon!!!:D:cry:

You two crack me up. :p Years ago, those commercials used to tick off one of my brothers--he absolutely hated that whole campaign, back in the 80s. Thought it was stupid and pompous.

So, of course, we'd (my other brother and sister) all quote to him, "Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?" just to taunt him! :hilarious:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 6 contd...

After Italy Pavilion we backtracked towards Norway Pavilion for a ride on Frozen. I snagged another beer for the walk back and when we reached the entrance I had not finished and was about to chug it, but the CM said it was ok to bring it line, but to finish before we got the load area.

IMG_20180714_162637.jpg

IMG_20180714_162833.jpg

Minor says she prefers Maelstrom over FEA which I completely agree with. She tries to act like she doesnt like FEA at all but I caught lip syncing the words to Let it Go a few times we rode. She knows where the camera is though and is always sure to wipe any look of excitement from her face, haha

Frozen.c.jpg

We checked the out the pavilion before heading out

IMG_20180714_163826.jpg

IMG_20180714_163950.jpg

After Norway the plan was to work our way back to IG, so we stopped at Mexico because..."no matter where he goes, there one, two and three goes, we're alwaaaays togetherrrrr"!

IMG_20180714_164329.jpg

IMG_20180714_164616.jpg

She likes Gran Fiesta Tour much more than Frozen.

After Mexico, time was running short for when Auntie C had told us to be back but we had one more stop I wanted to make to introduce Minor to a favorite treat of mine. Where could we be going and what could the treat be> Ill give you a hint, its in...

IMG_20180714_170552.jpg

If you guessed the chocolate cupcake....you were....wrong. There is only one treat at The Land worthy of C getting upset with me for being late.

IMG_20180714_171454.jpg

The Whoopie Pie!

IMG_20180714_171731.jpg

Minor approves!

Up next: would we make it back to the room on time?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 6 contd....

Even though the clock was ticking for the time C wanted us back to the room, we were not about rush such a decadent treat.

IMG_20180714_171531.jpg

After we finished our treat, we noticed the wait for Soarin' wasnt too bad so we went for it. I knew this would put us way past our time to be back, but C would understand, or so I thought.
IMG_20180714_175334.jpg

IMG_20180714_174511.jpg

We boarded fairly quickly and had great seats.

On the way out of The Land I told Minor had much fun I had and was glad we spend some time together and we both agreed that next trip we will do it again!

After Soarin' we double timed it back to IG. We are appx 30 minutes behind schedule but still had plenty of time to get to MK for the party. C is very punctual though and I am not. My tardiness often gets me in hot water. As we exited Epcot and were approaching ESPN Zone we see C approaching us. She did not look amused. She was more upset that I didnt answer my phone when she called. She gave me a bit of attitude and said that since we were late and still needed to shower that she was going to go to Epcot and take her time returning since we did. She made sure to tell Minor that she was upset with me, not her. C was not fuming mad or anything. She does not act like that when shes upset. She is what I call, "politely upset". She strolled off towards Epcot and Minor asked me, "She would go with her so shes not mad"? I chuckled and assured her that C was definitely not going to Epcot and she was just being bratty with me. Minor said, "I dont know, she looked pretty mad". I told her that C would be back at the room within a few minutes. Minor asked, "how do you know that"? I told her when youve been together for as long as we have, you learn a few things. She said, "I dont think shes coming back". I told her we shall see.

Minor and I were a bit hungry still so we grabbed a few cheeseburgers at the cart on the Boardwalk. I dont what it was, but both Minor and I LOVED those burgers. We had several during our trip. We got our food and by the time we got to the lobby we saw C approaching from behind us. Minor looks at me and says "how did you know"?!! I patted her on the head and smiled. We waited for C and all walked back to the room together. Minor exclaimed to C, "Uncle Keith said you were coming back and I didnt believe him, but he was right"! C gives me a sharp look as if to say, "youre a jack a$$" and then tells Minor, "youre uncle keithy is lucky we are at Disney otherwise he'd be in trouble". We joked around as we walked back to the room and all was well. Minor and I chomped down our burgers and cleaned up and we all headed off to the bus stop.

Next up: MK After Hours Party!!!

slipperalwaysfits

WOW!! What a day!! You and C are amazing!! I'm glad you had the guts to talk to Minor about life and about how you guys will be THERE for her, be it a party pick up or nervous about telling parents, etc. I am glad she felt so safe and loved to open up and it's pretty awesome how she has such a cool Aunt and Uncle to be there for her, even with weird family dynamics that come into play.

CONGRATS ON THE HONOR ROLL!! THAT'S NOT an easy task but way to go, C!

I LOVE that you bribe her with Disney. At that age, bribes work! My parents had to bribe me with basketball games to get me to keep my grades up! IT worked until I no longer needed the bribes and wanted to do well just to do well.

I haven't been with my DH a long time but when we get mad at each other, we definitely know what the other one needs to help us get over it. You guys were on vacation! A yummy treat and a quick ride on Soarin' are the impulsive, fun things memories are made of...especially when you KNOW you shouldn't be doing it because it'll make you late but it makes it extra special for Minor, I bet. :geek::geek::geek:

blreinsel

I love the “chat” that you and Minor had, and your relationship in general. I’ve hoped since the day my niece was born that we would be close and that I could one day be that “go to” for her, regardless of the situation. She’s only 5, but we are certainly the best of friends already. 😉 I can’t wait to continue growing and maturing our relationship over the years and when she’s old enough, I will also bribe her with an AP. 😂

I also love you calling out the line skipper. I get HEATED over that BS and always consider doing the same, but I’m not that bold lol. It happens constantly in line for FoP, which is even more infuriating than the smaller lines.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
I love the “chat” that you and Minor had, and your relationship in general. I’ve hoped since the day my niece was born that we would be close and that I could one day be that “go to” for her, regardless of the situation. She’s only 5, but we are certainly the best of friends already. 😉 I can’t wait to continue growing and maturing our relationship over the years and when she’s old enough, I will also bribe her with an AP. 😂
The AP bribe works wonders, lol!
I also love you calling out the line skipper. I get HEATED over that BS and always consider doing the same, but I’m not that bold lol. It happens constantly in line for FoP, which is even more infuriating than the smaller lines.
It gets easier after you do it the first time. The people doing it are already nervous about someone confronting them, so once you stop them, they usually cave if they are actually just skipping the line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom