TDL’s “Meet the World” attraction with crystal clear video

MK-fan

Original Poster
1715462264059.png

Meet the World is a very interesting attraction as it borrowed from many others. It is most similar to The American Adventure as it explores the history of Japan and incorporates projecting screens with the set pieces along with the show scenes dropping in and out like American Adventure as well. It also borrows from Carousel of Progress but instead of the theater rotating around the set and show scenes, the sets rotate themselves and you stay put. The post show included a walking speedway that took you through Panasonic’s “Electro Home”, the home of the future which was very similar to RCA’s House of the Future that debuted with Magic Kingdom’s Space Mountain.

The attraction was created by a who’s who of talent which saw Claude Coats as the Designer, the Sherman Brothers writing the song “Meet the World with Love”, Blaine Gibson sculpted the animatronics and famed Disney Animator Randy Cartwright designed the Crane in the show. It was created for Epcot and Tokyo Disneyland but problems such as glossing over World War II was thought to be a major issue with many guests visiting Florida being retired veterans. Another issue was the building at the Japan pavilion at Epcot was improperly built and could not house the entire attraction so plans were scrapped all together for the Epcot version and Meet the World would serve as a unique attraction at Tokyo Disney. The attraction opened in 1983 with the opening of TDL and closed in 2002, being replaced by “Monsters since Ride and Go Seek” seven years later.

The videos online have always been very dark, blurry and hard to make out but I found one that looks to have been professionally made with a wide scope around the theater.
Here is the link:

The attraction is in Japanese, here is a clear presentation of the attraction’s English audio. The scenes in the video are a little longer so you can see everything so the audio won’t sync properly with the video. The audio does does begin around the 5:06 mark.

Here is a video of the post show “Electro Home” home of the future:

I know that most of us here have never experienced this attraction but I would like to know everyone’s opinion of it after watching.

Last edited:

yeti

Thanks a lot for sharing, I've always been meaning to check this out and this video is awesome quality. I think the show is technologically marvellous and entertaining as hell for a theme park nerd, but also cranks the sentimentality of Epcot Center-era attractions up to 11 without the charm/wit of Walt Disney's influence. I'm not sure how guests reacted to it, but if it left people cold I can see why. Still very cool to watch and thanks again!

MK-fan

Original Poster
Interesting that the building for the attraction was so radically changed in less than a year of opening.

Opening:
1715619075968.jpeg

1715619101572.png

1715628422201.png

This one year anniversary magazine shows the changes within the year:
1715619210384.jpeg

1715619250875.jpeg

1715619520379.jpeg

1715619950735.png

Thanks to TDRfan.com for the last two pics.

The attraction probably wasn’t seen as attractive enough in the beginning lol.

The orange, red and yellow panels were taken out and the entire building was painted, the fountain mechanics were brought further down, there were cranes placed on the side of the building, flower beds were placed in front of all the building’s pillars, the attraction sign was changed and brought out to the front and a round steel awning was placed over the hole in the ceiling of the entrance.

Definitely looked a lot better lol.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

incredible show and history,,,and the best footage I have seen of it. Really a shame it was not installed at Epcot....what is in its space now in Tokyo?

MK-fan

Original Poster
incredible show and history,,,and the best footage I have seen of it. Really a shame it was not installed at Epcot....what is in its space now in Tokyo?
Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek! Is there now, it was installed in 2009, MTW was dormant since 2002.

disneyC97

Interesting that the building for the attraction was so radically changed in less than a year of opening.

Opening:
View attachment 785277
View attachment 785278
View attachment 785307

This one year anniversary magazine shows the changes within the year:
View attachment 785279
View attachment 785280
View attachment 785281
View attachment 785282
Thanks to TDRfan.com for the last two pics.

The attraction probably wasn’t seen as attractive enough in the beginning lol.

The orange, red and yellow panels were taken out and the entire building was painted, the fountain mechanics were brought further down, there were cranes placed on the side of the building, flower beds were placed in front of all the building’s pillars, the attraction sign was changed and brought out to the front and a round steel awning was placed over the hole in the ceiling of the entrance.

Definitely looked a lot better lol.
It’s been about 20 years but I think the original exterior color scheme matched up with the original design/colors of what is now Plazma Ray’s restaurant across from it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom