News Tarzan's Treehouse Incident - 11/10

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I’m blaming the guest, yes. When has jumping on a suspended bridge ever been considered a good idea or ever been encouraged when it comes to safety?

I mean in a way I agree, adults probably shouldn't be jumping on the bridge. But to not expect someone to do it is naive. I'm sure you've seen some crazy things as a CM.

I'm sure a guest ripped off that piece of the Matterhorn as they were riding by as well. No budget cuts to see here... *whistles*

Budget cuts was definitely my first thought! God forbid we have another BTMRR incident but some wacky things have been happening at DL as of late.

Californian Elitist

I mean in a way I agree, adults probably shouldn't be jumping on the bridge. But to not expect someone to do it is naive. I'm sure you've seen some crazy things as a CM.

I definitely expect people to jump on the bridge.

I saw lots of things as a CM, yes. For the most part Disneyland guests don’t make stupid decisions, but there are some that do things that make you wonder if they have any common sense at all.

StarWarsGirl

3FWRk6.gif

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Where would the tree house go? Because of a broken piece of wood? This whole thing is clearly sensationalized. Mouse Chat, I mean, they have nothing better to do than have a breaking news story about a broken piece of wood in a tree house exhibit.

Come on, Micechat doesn't like that kind of negativity, they have rules against it, ya know?

Darkbeer1

Any time I'm on a suspension bridge anywhere in the parks, I try to get it to swing. Otherwise, why not just have a fixed wooden structure?
However, I've never jumped.

I have jumped, ever since I was a little kid. And by no means am I small.

I expect a suspension bridge to be designed for rough use and normal wear and tear, especially in a busy amusement park environment.

Of course, if it was a bridge that went over a gorge, and was not used much, I would walk on it a lot differently, including being careful with every step I took.

Last edited:

Tanna Eros

I have jumped, ever since I was a little kid. And by no means I am small.

I expect a suspension bridge to be designed for rough use and normal wear and tear, especially in a busy amusement park environment.

Of course, if it was a bridge that went over a gorge, and was not used much, I would walk on it a lot different, including being careful with every step I took.

It seems as if the guest that broke the board was demonstrating it's safety, like that lawyer who demonstrated the safety of window glass by leaping up against it until the window finally gave way.

When you jump on a suspended bridge, there's a trampoline effect, so yes, even though I've never jumped (because of my size, it would have no effect, though I probably would if I could), I have been trampolined. It's the physics of a suspended bridge that makes them fun- you swing, the bridge bounces as you walk, etc...
I've not been in Tarzan's treehouse, but on a suspended bridge, one can expect there will will be jumping.

Since a light bounce can cause the desired trampoline effect, I don't think the guest that broke the board was trying to bounce his co-guests. It also says in the report he was showing his sons the safety of the bridge, so I suspect it was one heck of a trounce.

Darkbeer1

There is no level of maintenance that will prevent 100% of failures.

Well, if guests opt to sue, the courts will require the Maintenance records, and then we will find out if Disney was following basic planned maintenance, including inspections and preventive maintenance.

Having covered the Disneyland Resort for multiple decades now, and proper maintenance was one of the things I focused on.

I can't comment about the current news story, but my e-mail box has been busy from some friends commenting on it. There are questions about cutbacks and returning to 20 years ago.

Who knows what caused the failure... And since Disney doesn't like to have its records revealed, my guess, any legal claims due to it, will be quickly settled out of court, and no one will officially know.

el_super

It seems as if the guest that broke the board was demonstrating it's safety

Isn't it a little weird that there were witnesses to this "emergency" that could so easily testify to the actions and intent of the guest? I'm not really in any position to dispute them, but I wouldn't think that someone crossing the bridge would draw attention unless they were doing something outrageous.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Water erosion, earthquake, termites. Give any excuse, Disney should still be keeping up maintenance.
Not every nook and cranny sitting behind plaster is readily available for maintenance. I doubt you punch a hole in your living room wall every could months to see if the framing is rotted and then patch it up. You inspect what you can see (attic/basement).

While I'm sure they can see a lot of it, they can't see all of it.

While we aren't in the Pressler era anymore, you would still think a bridge with exposed wood that holds people and is over people would get inspected regularly for dry-rot. Perhaps they can replace the wood with iron and make it faux-wood like they do in other parts of the park. The drawback? It's heavy and you don't want iron falling on people if something were to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom