Tapestry: We Are One - Marching Band show based on Tapestry of Nations

PREMiERdrum

Original Poster
I thought you guys would appreciate this.

This show has been my baby throughout the creative process that began during last fall's season, and it's been an incredibly fun ride. I'm in my 13th season as Director of Percussion here at Watkins Memorial HS, and over the last few years I've taken on much of our concept development as well.

My concept here was to retell the general storyline of Tapestry of Nations, as its message is more relevant now than when it debuted. To avoid obvious cultural appropriation, the story of competing "tribes" was created to open the show. I substituted We Are One from Rivers of Light in place of We Go On for the ballad, as the music had an edge I preferred to the syrupy Epcot track.

It's difficult to tell in the video, but the band starts with uniform components that group them into 4 different colored tribes. The covers are slowly removed during the transition into and the beginning of We Are One, so that at the apex of the piece the entire band is dressed to match:

42373599_1949096385153593_6519665342061477888_o.jpg

42354082_1949096865153545_3867985381420957696_o.jpg

The show has been very well received, winning 2nd in class and 3rd overall at Bellbrook HS's MSBA prelims and qualification for OMEA State Finals in its second time out. We still have 2 weeks of regular season competitions before heading to OMEA Finals and then MSBA Finals.

For the band nerds among us: Wind music was arranged by Alex Thode, with percussion written by yours truly. The visual design was done by Sarah Mooney of Jeremy Jorgensen Designs.

Enjoy!

Kevin_W

I thought you guys would appreciate this.

This show has been my baby throughout the creative process that began during last fall's season, and it's been an incredibly fun ride. I'm in my 13th season as Director of Percussion here at Watkins Memorial HS, and over the last few years I've taken on much of our concept development as well.

My concept here was to retell the general storyline of Tapestry of Nations, as its message is more relevant now than when it debuted. To avoid obvious cultural appropriation, the story of competing "tribes" was created to open the show. I substituted We Are One from Rivers of Light in place of We Go On for the ballad, as the music had an edge I preferred to the syrupy Epcot track.

It's difficult to tell in the video, but the band starts with uniform components that group them into 4 different colored tribes. The covers are slowly removed during the transition into and the beginning of We Are One, so that at the apex of the piece the entire band is dressed to match:

42373599_1949096385153593_6519665342061477888_o.jpg

42354082_1949096865153545_3867985381420957696_o.jpg

The show has been very well received, winning 2nd in class and 3rd overall at Bellbrook HS's MSBA prelims and qualification for OMEA State Finals in its second time out. We still have 2 weeks of regular season competitions before heading to OMEA Finals and then MSBA Finals.

For the band nerds among us: Wind music was arranged by Alex Thode, with percussion written by yours truly. The visual design was done by Sarah Mooney of Jeremy Jorgensen Designs.

Enjoy!

I'm a former MBA/BoA band geek. I appreciate you sharing this! Thanks for your time.

SteamboatJoe

Nice!

I am a former MCBA (Michigan)/BOA competitor. Didn't do DCI but knew several people who did.

I assume you are familiar with The Cadets 2000 show "We Are The Future"?

Great idea using We Are One.

PREMiERdrum

Original Poster
Nice!

I am a former MCBA (Michigan)/BOA competitor. Didn't do DCI but knew several people who did.

I assume you are familiar with The Cadets 2000 show "We Are The Future"?

Great idea using We Are One.

I was fortunate enough to see the Cadets in 2000!

There were some corners of that show that we wanted to translate, but we pushed for this to be a unique telling, both in theme and in music. Much of our 2nd movement is actually original content by Alex and myself, bookended by a few thematic concepts from the original.

SteamboatJoe

I was fortunate enough to see the Cadets in 2000!

There were some corners of that show that we wanted to translate, but we pushed for this to be a unique telling, both in theme and in music. Much of our 2nd movement is actually original content by Alex and myself, bookended by a few thematic concepts from the original.
Glad you chose to keep it original and make it your own. Best of luck the rest of the season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom