Talk to me about renting DVC points vs paying for a regular room

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Specifically Wilderness Lodge, but in general too. I know you do not get Mousekeeping every day, but we would be ok with that. How many towels would be in a studio? Are the toiletries in the rooms the same? Is there a major difference in the views from the rooms? Is there a difference between Copper Creek and Boulder Ridge rooms? Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Weather_Lady

The yourfirstvisit website has detailed room tours of the regular rooms - and DVC accommodations - in each resort. You can see room layouts and photos of each.

I think the biggest differences are: in a studio you have a kitchenette (microwave, toaster, prep sink and some dishware) instead of just a coffeemaker and fridge. On the other hand, studios (except at OKW, I believe) offer only one real bed - plus a foldout sofa and in many resorts, a Murphy bed - instead of the 2 queen beds you find in most standard rooms.

We are fans of renting DVC points. We appreciate the savings, and don't mind less frequent cleaning. (For me, the only annoyance is having to bring extra coffee from home, since the coffee doesn't get replenished unless/until a trash-and-towel-service day arrives.) Towel supply in DVC rooms has, in our experience, always exceeded the number of people staying in the room. Toiletries are the same as in standard rooms.

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
The yourfirstvisit website has detailed room tours of the regular rooms - and DVC accommodations - in each resort. You can see room layouts and photos of each.

I think the biggest differences are: in a studio you have a kitchenette (microwave, toaster, prep sink and some dishware) instead of just a coffeemaker and fridge. On the other hand, studios (except at OKW, I believe) offer only one real bed - plus a foldout sofa and in many resorts, a Murphy bed - instead of the 2 queen beds you find in most standard rooms.

We are fans of renting. We appreciate the savings, and dont mind less frequent cleaning. Towel supply in DVC rooms has, in our experience, always exceeded the number of people staying in the room. Toiletries are the same as in standard rooms.
Thanks! Thinking about doing this for an adult only trip, so the single bed won't be a problem!

correcaminos

Thanks! Thinking about doing this for an adult only trip, so the single bed won't be a problem!
In that case, I think I prefer studios to a regular room. That untouched bed always felt like a 'waste of space' so to speak. @Weather_Lady is correct. All studios other than OKW have a queen bed and a couch. Some have a murphy bed, but that again isn't something you would care about. The studios kitchenette is nice. We enjoy having a toaster and microwave with small fridge for our meals (we do light ones like sandwiches in the room). We don't miss mousekeeping because I never let them in every day anyway before DVC LOL

In your case I think this is a great option. Just remember Copper Creek is booking up quickly as it is newer and the whole DVC portion hasn't been declared for DVC use yet (as it sells they declare more). So if you want a room, try to get it earlier than later. They have 2 studio options there with a tub or a walk in shower as well.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
In that case, I think I prefer studios to a regular room. That untouched bed always felt like a 'waste of space' so to speak. @Weather_Lady is correct. All studios other than OKW have a queen bed and a couch. Some have a murphy bed, but that again isn't something you would care about. The studios kitchenette is nice. We enjoy having a toaster and microwave with small fridge for our meals (we do light ones like sandwiches in the room). We don't miss mousekeeping because I never let them in every day anyway before DVC LOL

In your case I think this is a great option. Just remember Copper Creek is booking up quickly as it is newer and the whole DVC portion hasn't been declared for DVC use yet (as it sells they declare more). So if you want a room, try to get it earlier than later. They have 2 studio options there with a tub or a walk in shower as well.
Thanks! We wouldn't be going until next December, so I have a little while to decide what we want to do.

correcaminos

Thanks! We wouldn't be going until next December, so I have a little while to decide what we want to do.
Yep, but with December that's a super popular month for DVC (either lowest points out there or holiday celebrations) so be sure you're ready to book at 11 months if you can. WL is quite popular for December in particular due to its lovely decorations. Larger DVC locations will be easier though.

nickys

Premium Member
Sounds like you know about the main differences in the rooms.

However no one has mentioned the big, big difference. If you rent points,you cannot cancel. Now the owner may work with you to try and accommodate you, but once they have made that reservation then they risk losing the points completely if they cancel it. Which is why the brokers have a no cancellations policy.

Also you will have to pay a large chunk of the cost upfront.

You may want to consider some insurance to cover you should you have no choice but to cancel.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster

However no one has mentioned the big, big difference. If you rent points,you cannot cancel. Now the owner may work with you to try and accommodate you, but once they have made that reservation then they risk losing the points completely if they cancel it. Which is why the brokers have a no cancellations policy.

You may want to consider some insurance to cover you should you have no choice but to cancel.
Thanks! I was already looking into travel insurance!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Owner at both Boulder Ridge and Copper Creek. Boulder Ridge studios have the Murphy bed - and the table is attached to it. Copper Creek studios do not have a Murphy bed. And I can't remember if they have a table. But the sofa table has a top that you can pull up for a table. Copper Creek studios have the option of tub/shower combo or just a shower in the bathrooms. The rooms at Copper Creek are smaller than those at Boulder Ridge.

Here's some pictures of the Copper Creek studio I took at my preview.

20170425_115741.jpg
20170425_115713.jpg
20170425_115722.jpg

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Owner at both Boulder Ridge and Copper Creek. Boulder Ridge studios have the Murphy bed - and the table is attached to it. Copper Creek studios do not have a Murphy bed. And I can't remember if they have a table. But the sofa table has a top that you can pull up for a table. Copper Creek studios have the option of tub/shower combo or just a shower in the bathrooms. The rooms at Copper Creek are smaller than those at Boulder Ridge.

Here's some pictures of the Copper Creek studio I took at my preview.

View attachment 244032 View attachment 244033 View attachment 244034
Thank you!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank you!

You are most welcome. Oh, and something else. Copper Creek Villas are the former South Wing of the WL. There is an elevator to access the rooms across from the mercantile shop - Disney closed access to that area from the hallways along the lobby facing rooms.

correcaminos

You are most welcome. Oh, and something else. Copper Creek Villas are the former South Wing of the WL. There is an elevator to access the rooms across from the mercantile shop - Disney closed access to that area from the hallways along the lobby facing rooms.
We're staying there in June and I'm curious (and my brain is not comprehending right now LOL) where is the access closed off? I'm sure we'll figure it out. It wasn't open during our last trip to check it out so it will be "all new" for us so to speak.

Most definitely! I admit as an owner I totally forget this at times - our cancellation for us is different than any cash paying person.

Tuvalu

You can access the rooms from the main elevators in the lobby.

This picture was taken just outside the main elevator on the 5th floor to show the carpet change to the DVC side.

3C9E2A1B-A103-441D-B460-F925BAC7D30F.jpeg

LAKid53

Premium Member
We're staying there in June and I'm curious (and my brain is not comprehending right now LOL) where is the access closed off? I'm sure we'll figure it out. It wasn't open during our last trip to check it out so it will be "all new" for us so to speak.

Most definitely! I admit as an owner I totally forget this at times - our cancellation for us is different than any cash paying person.

Rooms that run along the lobby perimeter on all floors. There was access via a hallway to the South wing - that has now been blocked off.

LAKid53

Premium Member
These:
View attachment 244172
There was another single elevator in the south wing, is that what you are referring to that is now closed off?

Yes, that's the elevator I'm referring to.

I've never used those elevators. Can't even think of where they are. We always stayed on rooms on the North side, the Woods view, so our balcony overlooked MK and used the elevator that's by Roaring Forks. Funny what you don't notice when you are focusing on unpacking your car and getting to your room, lol.

And since I'm now DVC, I rarely visit the lobby, other than stopping by the mercantile store or eating at Whispering Canyons.

Ted Daggett

We have rented DVC two times now, and loved it. We did not mind not having the rooms cleaned every day, however you can pay extra (I think $60 per day) to have the room cleaned daily. Additionally, if you would like additional towels, you can just call the front desk and mousekeeping will bring them no charge.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We have rented DVC two times now, and loved it. We did not mind not having the rooms cleaned every day, however you can pay extra (I think $60 per day) to have the room cleaned daily. Additionally, if you would like additional towels, you can just call the front desk and mousekeeping will bring them no charge.

Most of the rooms have a vacuum and broom. My 1 bedroom at Boulder Ridge also had a steam mop, just in case something really messy happens....

I'm ok with making my own bed, cleaning up any messes or spills, and always hang up my towels. The morning of the 4th day, I throw all used towels in the provided laundry basket for Mousekeeping to collect. And if my trash gets full or especially stinky before then, I take it to the trash room myself. If I do it at home, I've got no problem doing it at Disney. I've even washed the dirty towels...I stay in a 1 bedroom, since I want the full kitchen, so I've got a washer/dryer.

BigHero4

We will be staying in a Boulder Ridge studio this December. I had to contact dvcrequest.com exactly 11 months in advance to secure this room. I have a friend at work that waited one day after I booked and wasn't able to get in via dvcrequest.com. They book quick for the holidays.

BTW - We purchased trip insurance through Travel Guard. It is affordable piece of mind!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom