Taking the World by storm! 2011 BLT/AKL Kidani trip!

Just got back from my 8 day stay at the world! 07/31-08/08

Went by nice and easy, not too fast-not too slow either. Let's just get to a few notes before we begin:

1. I've been to WDW so many times, so this time was more about EATING and enjoyin the resorts.
  2. I went on this trip with myself and my parents making a total of 3 of us on this trip.
  3. We live in SW Florida, so no airplanes for us. Car ride of 4 hours with a brief stop in Tampa to visit my sister I won't be going over, so sorry if it seems I just magically popped up in WDW.
  4. I didn't finish last year's trip report unfortuneately, but this year I promise I will. And quickly too (;
  5. We are staying at BLT (Bay Lake Tower) for the first 5 days, at AKL Kidani Village (Animal Kingdom Lodge) for the last 3!

DAY UNO:

We arrive! And arrive a bit early for check in at Contemporary Resort (CR) @ around 11am. We will be staying at Bay Lake Tower, but check in is actually in CR. I should actually say that just about everything but the room for us is in CR! Everything.

IMG_1458.jpg

Upon check in we had requested multiple times for high level rooms, and my dad even made a list of rooms he'd like to be in (lol), but that list really might of worked because we actually got one of the rooms on the list. But the guy wouldn't tell us which room, instead we were told we would be texted our room number when ready. We were stressing on which room we wanted because we booked a Bay Lake room. Not a Magic Kingdom room. But we researched and found out plenty of Bay Lake rooms offer Magic Kingdom views if you look around long enough to spot some room numbers people post. Lucky us because it worked for us!

Roughly 4 hours later, ugh, we will get the text. For now though we make our way to eat lunch at the Grand Floridian's Gasparilla Grill.

OH- and we got the Disney Dining Plan (DDP) for the first time ever, but only for the first 5 days at. I guess that's pretty big I forgot to mention that because the DDP helped our trip SO much. More on that later...

So we eat at the Gasparilla Grill with our swanky new points and it was delicious! Basic food, but it's always great atmosphere at Grand Floridian. No pictures unfortunately. I do wish we had a picture of this old man who greeted us at the front doors who looked like someone from the nifty nineties (1890's), he was very welcoming!

I will comment though that GF guest parking is absolutely atrocious! You have to cross a road and walk just about all the calories of the food you are about to eat off just to get to the front door. The other Deluxe resorts don't have this problem, why you GF?

Anyways, afterwards we took a trip to the Wilderness Lodge. The WL is where we are staying in December for our trip, so why not check it out? It was gorgeous!

IMG_1445.jpg

^Edit- sorry that's so blurry! It's my only WL lobby picture, so I'm going to leave it.

It was my first time seeing this place, and it was worth making a side trip for! You feel very isolated even though you're so close to the "magic" (cheesy, I know). The pool looked amazing on this very hot day, but alas we had to go back to BLT because we needed to get all the stuff out of the car.

IMG_1449.jpg

We headed back to BLT and it was maybe 2:30 ish. No text yet! So we take a quick dive into the pool (we came prepared to go to the pool from Tampa lol), and although very nice and complete with a sand beach of its own the BLT pool was still very small. Unfortunately and surprisingly this is the only time where we visited the BLT pool. I wish we had gone more times because it is a very quaint place to relax between parks and whatnot, but we wanted to try more pools I guess. Sorry BLT pool for hurting your feelings.

At around 3:30 pm we finally get a text and head up to our room! Floor 12 room 8208 (I'll edit later if this is wrong, you might want to take note of this room number future BLT travelers) or something like that And boy oh boy..... what a dud! At least that's what I thought when I first entered.... I went straight for balcony and saw a Bay Lake and dundundun a tennis court. No Magic Kingdom! No nothing. Until my mom decided to take a side view (and yea, why didn't I look at the sides?) and she found a well... decent view to say the least.... I'll let the picture speak for itself.

IMG_1451.jpg

The Magic Kingdom was right outside our balcony! It was absolutely perfect! I could even see riders coming down Splash, the train going by, FLE construction, TTA cars zipping along, and most importantly fireworks each and every night.

A bit more icing on our viewing cake: a Bay Lake view to our right.

STE_1456.jpg

This picture, both pictures actually, don't do these views justice. The Bay Lake view offered an array of interesting things literally on the horizon. The most interesting being Universal which has their 1 fireworks show and the Islands of Adventure light house. I think I could even see the main spire of Hogwarts (we brought along binoculars, highly recommended!!)!! Other interesting things included the iconic globe hotel next to Wet'n'Wild (which served as the reference point to pinpoint Universal) and Old Town's zip line. And I must say that figuring out what each little building was on the horizon wasn't simple. It took a few days and looking at Google Earth a few times haha

And the Lake just stretched forever. Beautiful! A++ view!

More coming later! :) Hope you enjoy!

_Scar

Original Poster
Continuing on from day 1!

So we pack our things out of our bags and whatnot and relax, go online, and sit outside mostly checking out the view for a few hours before dinner.

*Sorry no more pics until day 2 =/*

We ate at Cape May Cafe after going there last year and being delighted, and this year was no different! The server was a tad bit wacky, but somewhat likable too hehe

The steak was delicious, but the CM cutting was a bit frugal with the amount she was giving out. The fried chicken and corn on the cob made for a tasty, all-american feast! A few plates later...... desserts.

I absolutely LOVED the desserts here!! Peanut Butter Blondies (my #1 snack in WDW), yum!! And they also have an Oreo cake thing that slips my mind at the moment that was astounding too.

After Cape May we head back to the room and catch the fireworks. So many fireworks viewings this trip that it'd be futile to go into in detail hehe, more on that next post with some great pics from Top of the World!!

Day 1 was a success! We went to bed fairly early and had a nice period of easing into the 'magic'.

_Scar

Original Poster
Day 2

So this is Monday August 1, 2011! Water park day so there's no pics unfortunately. Sorry =/

We went to Typhoon Lagoon and had a decent time. It was VERY busy!

We decided to eat lunch right away because we got a late start on the day at Leaning Palms. Decent food, nothing special. Typical counter service. I will say though that the fly problem is a lot better than I remember it being. The bird problem however is still the same if not worse.

And I don't mean to start a rant on this subject but these birds are being fed by people which cause them to come around closer to people which in turn gets them chased and abused by little kids. It's a vicious circle and a real problem. More on birds later in the TR though.

We waited in line for the family raft, which is a very dinky ride compared to its Blizzard Beach counterpart might I add, for 30 minutes! Totally regret not doing other slides instead.

The next slide we hiked to was Crush'n'Gusher. This slide is more of a water-coaster using jets to propel the raft (for both 2 and 3 people) upwards. This imo is Disney's best water ride hands down. And the lines never get too long unless you're a 2-person group waiting for a raft.

We ended up riding it twice on both 3-person slides and decided to head back and check out the wave pool because that's one of our favorites. We caught the pool at the time where small waves were coming constantly, but sadly no big waves. And you're probably thinking "why is he sad? the wave will come eventually". Suddenly, thunderstorm. And when I say thunderstorm, I mean lightning everywhere.

So naturally everyone panics out of the wave pool because of a sudden lightning strike nearby and we run to where we ate lunch. And apparently everyone else had that same idea too because there were literally like 75 people under this little hut for Leaning Palms counter service. Lightning was everywhere surrounding us. It was very traumatic for me, and I don't even think of myself as someone afraid of lightning! I can't even imagine the kids who were under there with me afraid. It finally lightened up a little 20 minutes into it and we ran for the car.

So our day was abruptly over at Typhoon Lagoon. My advice, plan your time wisely at a water park and go on as much as you can while there is still sun out! I still have a hole in my vacation heart from not being able to experience the "Humunga Kowabunga" once again. Thanks thunder.

So we go back to the room, it's raining, I think I go and buy a pin at the Fantasia gift shop at Contemporary (before I discover a new addiction, more on that later) yatta yatta yatta ... and then we eat. And boy did we eat.

Ohana!!

Okay so we weren't even going to eat at Ohana at all this trip for various reasons, but I'm glad we changed our minds last minute!

Okay so not only was the food amazing, but our cousins (the waiters) were fantastic too!

I tried a few foods too that I normally don't eat like coconut bread. The coconut bread tasted a bit strange at first, but it grew on me quickly and I ate practically a whole loaf. I also tried the chicken wings which were surprisingly tasty too.

For the main course, I had the chicken and steak. DELICIOUS!!! And I'm going to ignore the steak here because I thought the steak was great but the chicken was SUPERB!

For dessert, the banana bread pudding was astounding too. Probably in my top 3 desserts on this trip (probably second to peanut butter blondies). We tore that dessert up.

Favorite Disney World restaurant now. Is it surprising to you? Let me know in the comments what you think of Ohana! :slurp:

After this we lingered at the Poly a bit on the relaxing beachfront they have going on.

IMG_1473.jpg

Ducks!!!!!

IMG_1470.jpg

Ahhhhh!!!! MORE DUCKS!!!

And this is where the bird problem really became apparent to me because these parents who are obviously not watching their kids are letting them terrorize these poor ducks. Throwing sand, trying to tackle them, and just being ratty kids and the parents are dumbfounded to see them doing this after multiple people telling the kids to stop. Parents, watch your children please.

IMG_1464.jpg

Beautiful!

After lounging a bit, we head back to BLT to enjoy the MK fireworks from the "Top of the World". It's such a pain to get up to this lounge because there's only one elevator going up and one going down, so it's never just easy to get up there. And the view was great, but I'd rather just get a perfect view from my room without bothering to go to this lounge. And if anyone is looking for a great MK viewing area without staying at the CR, try watching from the bridge connecting Contemporary to BLT or from one of the BLT elevator areas. It's very easy to get into BLT and no CMs are even at BLT to stop you. (sneaky, sneaky)

Here are some firework shots I took that actually (finally) turned out quite nice

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

Thanks for reading! I'll be back hopefully later tonight to cover Day 3 (EPCOT!) See you real soon!

_Scar

Original Poster
Day 3

EpcotEpcotEpcot!

So our plan was to get up really early, take the monorail to Epcot, get a FP and ride Soarin, and then do Test Track. Well, that's EVERYONE's plans when involving Epcot (give or take the monorail)

IMG_1565.jpg

Seriously, I can only take so much Soarin' and Test Track! Epcot, love ya, but this has got to end. Give me another attraction to rush to in the morning, will ya?

I will say though that it was a pretty gorgeous day that day, and getting to the parks wasn't all that bad via the monorail.

So we get through the gate right at opening and already people are in line @ Soarin, so we get our FP and wait about 30 minutes. I love Soarin' and all, but it gets old after a while. And waiting for the pre-show is almost unbearable. Maybe it's the cold and metal queue that grinds my gears, but something about it makes me so bored.

After Soarin' (don't worry, more Soarin later), we head onto a 0 minute wait for Living with the Land. I think this ride is a diamond in the rough of Epcot's less popular rides. Though it does need an overhaul in the scenes outside of the greenhouse, the plants/animals are a nice and refreshing change from the thrill/simulation of thrill in Epcot.

After our rendezvous with The Land, we head to Nemo and catch a quick and cute ride in our very own clam-mobile! I don't think the queue for this ride gets enough attention, it's phenomenal and entertaining (and believing!). Soarin', you takin' notes here? 1.) The whole sandy beach to underwater transition is brilliant! 2.) Love the fish morphing into things projection (I'm sure there's a better way to describe that, but whatever hehe) 3.) The boat on the ceiling. Thank you WDI for such a great, great queue even though I doubt many people would even need to be waiting in a line to ride this. You rock!

A sad thing about Nemo for me this time was no angler fish scene! Pitch black, audio, but no fish moving. Very sad!

Outside of the ride, we check out the neat fish exhibits and I even get up close and personal with the stars of the movie (I was a bit starstruck)

IMG_1547.jpg

Turns out they were only Cast Members in costumes.

IMG_1540.jpg

This guy was flipping all around like a monkey in his tank. Shout out! :sohappy:

One of these years I need to check out Crush! I've never been to his show, but that's probably because we're not one to interact with characters much. =/ Anyway, moving on...to.... the World Showcase!

Well, half of the World Showcase. After the token Test Track FP though.

Half because we tried taking the boat. Why on Earth would we take the boat (and skip my beloved Maelstrom) you ask? 1.) It's scalding hot out. 2.) Epcot lacks shade. So, heck yea we took this boat and it saved us a lot of walking.

We dock at Germany and notice immediately that there's basically nobody back here. Kinda strange! I guess nobody felt like walking it either haha

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

I don't think we really did much until we got to the France Pavilion and looked around the shop. And then we got some Fish and Chips from the UK Pavilion.

Here's Le Chefs de France (why I took this pic? no idea)

IMG_1559.jpg

Looking back at it today, I don't know why we even wanted to go back in the WS and not just go directly to UK (lol)

Here's some UK (I'm kicking myself now for not taking more WS pics)

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

After eating and snooping around, we all headed back to the Land to eat at Sunshine Seasons (because we all can't eat fish x.x). I believe I ordered the half chicken and for dessert I got this rice crispy treat. LOVE the chicken, rice krispy was very hard and lacked marshmallows though. Yuck!

We headed back to the room after this and rest for a bit. So far we really haven't done much at all, kind of disappointed.

We only did 2 things! Oh well.

----- a few hours later -----

Dinner time!

We get back later just in time to catch our reservation @ The Coral Reef!! I was SO excited to dine here, and we even got a window seat!!

IMG_1568.jpg

^^This guy was chilling by me in the beginning! Shout out!

Being next to the tank was breathtaking. Sharks, sting rays, and even a shy sea turtle were swimming around. Oh, and even humans! I think a tour must have been going on because quite a few swimmers passed by our table. Some cute, waving, having fun (looked like a total blast!). Others were trying to sign language talk to you, which doesn't exactly translate but others played along. I was secretly hoping the entire time we would see snorkeling Mickey swim to our table, but sadly he was a no-show. Does this happen anymore?

To the food!

I ordered the steak, my mom ordered the steak, and my dad ordered some fish (sorry, can't remember!).

The fish he ordered was good though.... sorry for being so detailed haha

The steak however, not good. My mom said hers was, but mine was just horrible. It was basically all fat! I had a fat pile on my plate! Why fat, why?! I did get fries with my meal. The fries were so. much. better. =/

For dessert I ordered the Chocolate Wave which basically is this chocolate cake with very warm chocolate mixed with the taste of raspberry sauce. DELICIOUS!!! It's definitely a strong, potent mix of flavors but it hits the spot. Definitely recommend this to even non-chocolate lovers. You might be converted after this.

Overall, I wouldn't return to this reef anytime soon to dine. Maybe in a few years when the menu changes.... or chefs.

More later! I'll try and even do the day 4 update tmrw along with the finish of day 3. As always, thanks for reading folks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom