Taking pictures on rides??

Danrol388

Original Poster
Can sombody help me out here. I am leaving to Disney in July now orginally my grandmother was gonna come with us but unfortunatly she cant walk to well and gets really tired easily. So she decided she dose not wanna go with us for her best :( .......she did tell us to bring lots of pictures. Now here is where u guys can help me out, which rides are we allowed to take pics on without getting in trouble?? If i turn off my flash on my Digital Camera will I be alright to take pics?? I would like to know this so I dont get into any kind of trouble over there.

Thanks,
Danny

Laura

Obviously - don't take a flash picture while riding rock n rollercoaster, the haunted mansion, while watching a theatre presentation, etc. because it will be a nussaince to the other guests.

But I don't think anyone will care if you take no-flash pictures of anything. But good luck getting a no-flash picture to come out while you're in a moving ride vehicle in the dark. :lol:

Some good rides to take pictures on would be Splash Mountain, TTA, Thunder Mt (if you can!), anything that is outside.

Since1976

If you set your digital camera to a fast film speed (ISO 800), you may be able to take some decent shots on the dark rides without a Flash. The pictures will be grainy, but at least they won't have as much motion blur.

phlydude

Originally posted by Since1976
If you set your digital camera to a fast film speed (ISO 800), you may be able to take some decent shots on the dark rides without a Flash. The pictures will be grainy, but at least they won't have as much motion blur.

The old addage on the automated voice warnings says, "...No Flash photgraphy...".

Snap away all you want BUT WOTHOUT the flash. You could also videotape the rides but be sneaky because it is frowned upon in some attractions!

Setting your camera (if you are able) with a low aperture will help with the light issue (lower the number, the more light is let in). Also, you use higher speed film and decrease the shutter speed so that it remains open longer (1/125, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1). But be warned, the slower the shutter speed, the more movements have effects on the pictures (blurred images).

The best thing to do is use a digital so you can see how the settings you change show up real-time. This can help you adjust while still near the object you wanted to photograph without having to ride all over again!

enough

if your camera has an auto-focus assist light like mine does be careful - i got the voice from above on pirates last time i was there telling me that taking pics is a no-no.

also, i think there's some rides that use IR cameras to monitor the cars, so if your camcorder (or still camera) uses an IR lamp for focusing then you might also get the "warning from beyond"

finally, if you do get pics on the rides make sure you post them up here for us to enjoy too!

have fun!

brich

If all else fails, there are plenty of books for sale around the "World" that have great pictures of the rides. That's what I've resorted to doing these days. No matter how hard you try, you'll never get them to look as good as the professional shots in the books...

Timekeeper

Smile, Say Cheese, A Little Laughter If You Please

This question gets asked often. I'm not one to encourage following the "photography/video spiel" because those spiels often change depending on who is speaking them. One employee (CM) in the RockNRollerCoaster pre-show area may say "no videotaping" of the Aerosmith band in the recording studio, and 5 minutes later after shift change, the next CM will not say that. Seeing as how you will be on a special trip, you don't have time to revisit attractions dozens of times like many of the people on this message board. With that said, shoot whatever you want. If you're not supposed to be shooting, you will be asked to stop. Unless you are grossly allergic to people asking you to stop, there's really no reason to hold back.

If you are able to shoot digitally, do that. If you don't have a digital camera, now is a good time to invest. Unless you are a professional or experienced photographer, you will get home, have your film developed only to result in disappointment and all that money wasted on film processing and printing. The possibility of disappointment is ten-fold with indoor photography (especially if you are not using flash.) You want to enjoy your time, not worry about fiddling with aperature settings, ISO, manual focus in dark rides, etc.

Also, I would suggest having a couple high quality disposable cameras. Keep them in your pocket so you can grab a candid moment without having to set up a more complicated camera.

Don't forget that you can buy photo books and DVD videos of parks and attractions. The pro's already did the work, and you get to bring home the results.

Alot of people make the easy mistake of photographing their environment more than photographing themselves. In the end, it's the "people pictures" that are cherished, and the attractions pictures usually find their way into a shoebox under the bed.

So, #1 tip of the day: focus your picture taking on the people in your group - and make sure you hand off the camera so they get some shots of you too. Also, do the majority of your picture taking outdoors.

Tip #2: Bring all of your own supplies - batteries, film, memory cards, etc. They are available on property, but it will cost you more.

Tip #3: If flying, keep your film in your carry on baggage. Stronger x-ray machines for check-In luggage machines have been proven to ruin film. Also, if you're traviling with 800 ISO film, or just very careful with your film, current FAA regulations provide for all passengers the right to have their film hand-inspected and avoid x-rays. It's your call.

Timekeeper

MichRX7

Premium Member
I know our Sony digital videocam does unbelievable quality in low-lit areas if you don't mind it being in black and white. I have great video of their facial expression in the Tiki Room, Country Bears, etc...

Just be careful though, I was sitting next to my mother trying to videotape the kids watching "Voyage of the Little Mermaid" and my Mom said to get some of the show. Wouldn't you know it I could see all the people walking around with puppets on their hands so I quickly switched back to the kids since I didn't want to ruin the imagination for them.

Of course after a few minutes I stopped recording and pointed the camera back at the stage, it was pretty sweet to look at the screen and see people running back and forth, then look up at the stage and just see the puppets, lol...

Timekeeper

Voyager

Originally posted by MichRX7

Of course after a few minutes I stopped recording and pointed the camera back at the stage, it was pretty sweet to look at the screen and see people running back and forth, then look up at the stage and just see the puppets, lol...

Just for those who don't know, videotaping IS allowed in the Voyage of the Little Mermaid ...so long as no exterior lighting is use (that includes LCD panels people! Ha ha.)

Good times.

Tk

Danrol388

Original Poster
Thanks guys, lot of great info and advice. I gotta sit and play with my Digital Cam now to see how much of what was mentioned I can actually change and control. DVD's and Books are also a great idea I forgot all about that.

I definitly will post my pics up but remember our trip isnt till July 12 so they wont be up for awhile.

52 more days :brick:

Dayma

If you are able to shoot digitally, do that. If you don't have a digital camera, now is a good time to invest. Unless you are a professional or experienced photographer, you will get home, have your film developed only to result in disappointment and all that money wasted on film processing and printing. The possibility of disappointment is ten-fold with indoor photography (especially if you are not using flash.) You want to enjoy your time, not worry about fiddling with aperature settings, ISO, manual focus in dark rides, etc.

I agree. I take two cameras myself, my Nikon 3200 Digital and my Nikon F100 Pro SLR.

1. Unless you are using a very fast lense dont bother taking pics inside of the attrations. They will look bad.
2. Use Digital if you arent looking for that "perfect" disney photo that you see in the books. Some digital camera can compete with SLR's but at about four thousand dollars :)

My final tip is dont "live your life through the lens". This can really ruin your trip imo. I usually ride multiple times just to get photos. Once to just enjoy it and the others for pics...

figmentfan

Does this bother anybody else?

I can't stand sitting in front of people like on Pirates, where they keep taking flash pictures.....................it bothers me sooo much!!

phlydude

Originally posted by figmentfan
Does this bother anybody else?

I can't stand sitting in front of people like on Pirates, where they keep taking flash pictures.....................it bothers me sooo much!!

It blinds you, that stinks!! Tell them no flash pictures are allowed to see if they stop, I do. But then again, not too many people like to mess around with a 6 foot offensive lineman type!:lol: :rolleyes: :lol:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
You can take pictures on the Teacups!

But I wouldn't generally recommend it.

:lookaroun

1707Jam144-med.jpg

MKBurn15

If you wanted to show people what the bathrooms are like, is there any possible way to take pictures of them without looking like a total pervert?:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom