Votes: 16 80.0%
  • October 2013

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • February 2013

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

MattyFresh

Original Poster
Ok, so I have been to Disney many times. But this will be the first time taking my son. It has always been a tradition in my family that the first Disney trip is when you are 3. I am sure I enjoyed my first trip, however I don't really remember much. So my wife and I have been debating about when to take our son on his first trip. We are both very excited and anxious about taking him. He turns 3 this November, so I am asking for some advice from all of those that have done Disney with a little one before. We both want him to be old enough to enjoy it, so we can't decide if we should look at going Fall this year, or wait for Fall of 2013. My wife has even mentioned waiting until Feb. 2013 (because of her schedule being a teacher). I know waiting would give Fantasyland more time to be completed, but I am also itching to go back. So here is my dilema, what would be the best time frame and why? And if we were to go in February, would it look bad for us to get a Birthday pin, and somewhat celebrate his birthday??

WDW_Firefighter

We took my daughter a month after she turned three. She had a blast. I would suggest going in Oct. 2012 because he's free under 3. When he turns 3 you'll have to buy a kid ticket. Also I think WDW usually does rehabs in Jan. and Feb. One thing we ran into with my daughter was that she was literally about an eighth of an inch to short to ride Splash and BTMRR. She wanted to, but was turned away at the gate. But that also gives her something new to do next time.

accord99cutie

Premium Member
I agree, take him while he is still Free! We took my DD when she was 3 1/2, and wished we hadn't waited so long! Even if he can't ride all the rides, and won't remember much, YOU will and that makes it worth it!!

journ116

I vote for "Oct. 2012," for many reasons:

1. This has been repeated throughout the responses: under 3 is FREE! Saving $$ is always a bonus in my book!

2. Sure, your son won't remember every detail, but he'll sure remember the overall experience! So, when you do return for his next visit, the parks will begin to feel familiar, and eventually, it'll feel like home! I'd have to say that my oldest daughter began to "remember" WDW after her 2nd trip when she was just 20 mos. old. Although she couldn't really talk, her reactions and expressions were priceless! And by her third visit (at 2 yrs. 10 mos.), she was asking to go back and visit the castle!

3. You'll remember the experience, just in a different manner from years past!

4. October has much more favorable weather than February. I've done WDW in both months (beginning and ends), and prefer the warmth and humidity of October compared to the sometimes downright frigid, "buy another sweatshirt and hat because my winter gear wasn't enough" weather that can accompany February.

Whatever decision you reach as a family, enjoy the first visit and make lots of magical memories!:wave:

MattyFresh

Original Poster
Ok, so thread bump and update all in one!!

So everything was all set for October, was waiting to find out if my wife was changing schools and/or tracks (she teaches year round), got that figured out and was ready to start planning for the first of October! :sohappy: Then my mom, who is dying to go for her grandson's first trip had an issue with work :cry:

Now we are looking at a trip in January. I have never been at this time, and I am a little disappointed that we will miss out on certain attractions, and a water park is certainly out of the question now :(
Has anyone been around this time, what can I expect as far as weather, crowds, what attractions are up and running??

One last question, being a parent, I want to make this first trip as big of a deal and as special as possible. His birthday is in November, so it will be a couple of months past his 3rd birthday. Do I still get him a birthday pin??

journ116

I've been to Disney at the beginning of February (I guess that's close enough to January), and here's what I learned:

1. Crowds weren't too bad. We were able to hit up all the attractions in Fantasyland (in 2009) in under 30 minutes.

2. Weather was all over the place. One thing is for sure, pack and dress in layers. We ran into a cold snap and had to pay "Disney" prices for extra warmth.

3. January and February are traditionally the start of rehabs. However, given the new info released by Disney, the Fantasyland expansion should be up and running by the time you arrive!!:sohappy: (with the exception of the Mine Rollercoaster) I believe one of the water parks is closed, but I cannot remember which one.

4. You can pick up a pin for any celebration whenever you please. When booking your resort though, they'll ask for your sons actual birthdate. So, I assume it will be up to you to plan any "birthday surprises." I think I would mention that it's his FIRST visit at your resort and at guest relations inside the parks.

5. Depending on when you go in January, you might be able to enjoy the tale-end of the holiday festivities at MK, EP and HS. This typically runs into the first week of January, but I remember reading that the castle lights were up until the 2nd or 3rd week this year.

Enjoy your trip!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom