Taking Amtrak To Orlando

KRT

Original Poster
I've always flown to WDW, but just for the sake of trying something different, I'm considering taking the train for my next trip. I'd be traveling solo on Amtrak's "Silver Star" route. The thought of traveling coach for 22 hours (one way) doesn't exactly appeal to me, so I've been looking at the sleeping cabin that Amtrak calls a "roomette".

If you've ever taken Amtrak to Orlando, I'd be interested in hearing your experiences, positive or negative, and any advice/tips you may have. Thanks.

ljl14

My family and I took Amtrak from Trenton, NJ to Orlando approximately 3 years ago. For us, we only had coach seats because we got the boys (age 7 and 12 at the time) tickets for free.

We had a pleasant trip until Washington, DC. For us, there were too many stops, very bumpy, stinky, lousy bathrooms and yucky food. Couldn't wait to get to Orlando the next day!

Everyone's experience is different, though. I would never do it again.

Where are you travelling from?

gofylvr

DON'T DO IT!!!! It is horrible! I went when I was a teenager and it was terrible, when they switch engines you are without air conditioning, and it gets hot. The food is nasty, and the trip takes forever!

My brother and sister and law did the train thing and it was also horrible it was so bad they rented a car for the way home. That's a much better way to go, you can stop whenever you want and you aren't trapped like you are on a train!!

Good luck whatever you do! Have fun!

MR. DISNEY

Try the Auto Train

If I were you I would get the rooms, but if you want to try something with no stops:

I almost always take the Amtrak Auto Train. We love it. I drive from New Jersey to Lorton Va. They drive your car on to the train and leave around 4 o’clock. You have a nice dinner (steak, fish, or chicken) go to your room and it’s off to sleep (we always get the rooms). When I get up in the morning I take a shower, go for some Breakfast, and you are in to Sanford Fl. around 8:30. You will have to wait for you car, but you are only about 30 min. from Disney. Also you will have your car with you.

laurann40

I did the train from Delaware to Orlando with my daughter (she was 10 at the time) and my parents. It was horrible..... it does smell bad and there are alot of stops, also there is a car that smokers can go and smoke, but to get to the dining room you had to walk through this smokey room, me being a smoker it didn't bother me much. But my mother has COPD (lung disease) and she had a horrible trip. We hated to see our trip end, not only because we love WDW, but because we had to get back on that train... I prefer driving down, you can stop whenever you want and we have such a good time on the way, we listen to Disney music, watch disney movies on the DVD and sing.....:) ...we have thought about trying the train again and getting a berth, but when we think back, and remember what a lousy time we had, we quickly change our minds..

fers31

I never understand why anyone would take the train with airfares being as low as they are now. When I was in Disney a couple of months ago I ran into an older gentleman who was visiting from Maryland. He told me he loaded his car on the train and got a nice cabin for his wife and himself. He was very happy with the trip and for $1500 per person, thought it was a good deal. I almost passed out. I live further away and our airfare for 2 of us was $220 total!!! I understand this was a little different but who would want to take a 20 hour train ride for the same price (or less) than a 2 hour flight???? :shrug:

Disnut

I always wanted to try to go by train but I chickened out. I guess I will stick to my car. I don't fly but I might just to get to WDW.

Captain Chaos

Everyone here is saying how bad the train ride is... Well, I just took Amtrak from NJ to Orlando 3 weeks ago and I had no issues with the travel what so ever.... Granted, the AC isn't COLD... but, the car was comfortable... Yes, there are a lot of stops... But, compare it to drivng... How many stops do you make driving down?

I did say next time I would take the train I would make sure to get a sleeper car.... I cannot sleep sitting up.... I stayed busy all night by watching DVDs... There are plugs by your seat so you can plug in your DVD player or charge your phone or iPod.... Trust me, you are going to have to bring stuff to keep you occupied....

As for the food, I didn't bother buying any of the train food.... I brought my own... I brought a sandwich... You are allowed to bring snacks on board, and they do not count against the amount of bags you are allowed on board....

I will agree that the bathrooms aren't the best.... With the train rocking on the rails, people seems not to aim properly... LOL....

The only real downside I had was coming home.... We were stuck in Florida for 7 hours because a freight train derailed the day before and damaged the tracks... I was on the Silver Meteor coming home... I guess they shares the freight tracks... There are delays with any kind of travel, but stuck somewhere for 4 hours without moving is not fun.....

I would try the train... but, I would suggest a sleeper car.... That is how I would travel the next time I take a train.....

Captain Chaos

I never understand why anyone would take the train with airfares being as low as they are now. When I was in Disney a couple of months ago I ran into an older gentleman who was visiting from Maryland. He told me he loaded his car on the train and got a nice cabin for his wife and himself. He was very happy with the trip and for $1500 per person, thought it was a good deal. I almost passed out. I live further away and our airfare for 2 of us was $220 total!!! I understand this was a little different but who would want to take a 20 hour train ride for the same price (or less) than a 2 hour flight???? :shrug:

Not everyone likes to fly..... Some people, like me, get deathly ill on planes... That guy paid 1500 because he put a car on the train... I priced the auto train too... And the difference between the auto train and the regular train was a few hundred dollars... it probably didn't help that he had a cabin too...

I had regular coach seats and it cost me $200 round trip.. not one way but ROUND TRIP!!!!!! that is WAY less that any flight I could have had from ANY airline.... Also, it was a lot cheaper than the gas I would have had to pay for if I drove....

slappy magoo

Because of our schedules, about the only time my wife & I can usually go to WDW is during hurricane season. And because my wife is a teacher with a pretty hard-core work ethic, she doesn't want to miss the first day of school for anything, even an act of God. We drive to have the option of delaying our trip, or leaving early if a hurricane blows through, closing the airports or causing road damage that would make going home problematic.

As far as the OP goes, I can understand thinking about taking a train in your position - going alone, no one to share driving duties, wanting to arrive rested and all that. I'd say, though, that if the trip starts to suck, it's almost impossible to make a bad train trip better, but a bad car trip, OTOH, you can always pull over, take a nap or get a hotel over night, have a leisurely non-cramped meal, go to a local mall, take in a movie (also a good place to take a nap, imo), sightsee, etc. I'd also suggest, if you have a car with satellite radio and/or multiple CD changer and/or an ipod hookup, you can have so much entertainment at your disposal, the drive is hardly a chore. When I drive down, I practically OD on Howard Stern/talk radio, standup comedy, old time radio like Jack Benny & Suspense, audiobooks...sometimes my wife will watch TV shows or movies I ripped to my mp3 player while I follow along listening to the piped-in audio. One trip, while she slept, E! Entertainment Raido had the audio version of the E True Hollywood Story of the making of Jaws, which was a blast to listen to. And Sirius has plenty of traffic/weather channels, and that helps anticipate traffic jams and we either pull over and wait it out or find our own detours.

I'd say, unless there were things you had to get done on a laptop while traveling, you'd have a greater chance of enjoying yourself driving. The main other exception is if some Hawaiian Tropic bikini contestants were on the same train as you, and while anything is possible, I wouldn't count on it. :D

goodolgm

I did the AutoTrain going down and coming back for my first round with the college program, and I'm doing it again for my second round. Granted it's not a first-class flight experience, LOL, but it's not bad. I wanted my car down there, but didn't want the hassle and pressure of driving by myself 16 hours. The train was a great alternative.

The ride can be a little rocky/bumpy at times, and sleeping (or trying to sleep) sitting upwards is a little difficult, but you have to remember it is only for a night, not a week or anything. Have some wine (they do sell it on the AutoTrain) and that helps a bit. The food isn't as bad as one would think. All in all, like I said, the experience was decent enough to convince me to do it again.

Pete C

I wish America had high-speed rail. I know in France they even have high-speed rail that runs on existing regular tracks rather than LSMs like Japan's bullet trains. Anyway, traveling by rail in Europe is such a great experience. I easily prefer it to air travel..more room, comfortable seats, bigger bathrooms, food, scenery, etc. America is just so big though that regular speed trains are just not a viable option in this day and age. We would have to have high-speed. However, if it wouldn't be cheaper than airfare then I guess there would be no point.

bgraham34

I remember my when i was younger my parents wanted to do this, but it was not cheap and it was just easier and quicker to drive.

k.hunter30

When I was very young my mom, brother and grandmother and I went on a trip from Chicago to Southern California by train. One of my best memories - though I was only 4.

But now-a-days it just doesn't save me enough money to take a train over driving or flying. :shrug: But I might do it just for the experience of riding cross-country on a train.

sknydave

Not everyone likes to fly..... Some people, like me, get deathly ill on planes... That guy paid 1500 because he put a car on the train... I priced the auto train too... And the difference between the auto train and the regular train was a few hundred dollars... it probably didn't help that he had a cabin too...

I had regular coach seats and it cost me $200 round trip.. not one way but ROUND TRIP!!!!!! that is WAY less that any flight I could have had from ANY airline.... Also, it was a lot cheaper than the gas I would have had to pay for if I drove....

It shouldn't be hard to find flights for $200 round trip or just a bit more.

PigletIsMyCat

I have taken the AutoTrain numerous times between Lorton, VA (outside of D.C.) and Sanford (about 40 minutes from Disneyworld).

It takes almost as long on the train as it does to drive. BUT you do alot of the traveling while you're sleeping, you're not putting as many miles on your car, and you DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE!! To drive from NY to Orlando (which I've also done numerous times) we leave at 9am and get in by 3pm the next day. With the AutoTrain, we leave NY around 9am, get to Lorton around 2pm, get on the train, eat, sleep, etc., and get into Sanford at 8:30 (ideally... you're usually a little late, think more like 9:30 or 10am). We get home (which is almost an hour from Sanford) by noon. So, the trip doesn't save any time, just hassle.

For the AutoTrain, you have to pay for your ticket and your car's ticket. You cannot take the AutoTrain without a car, but then you have your car with you, saving on rental fees, plus you can pack your car full of stuff. We always get a roomette; during the day it's a little room with two big reclining seats and a large window to look out of. It has a sliding door that closes and latches from the inside and curtains that can be pulled. It also has outlets for charging or using portable media, it's own lights, and it's own air conditioning adjustments. At night, the porter comes and makes the two recliners into one bed, and pulss down a bed from the wall and turns the little room into bunk beds. DH and I both have almost no problem sleeping. I am a naturally light sleeper, and while I remember waking up a few times, I always rolled over and got back to sleep pretty quick. On the AutoTrain, dinner and a continental breakfast are included. There is a lounge car where they show movies and usually have a wine tasting before the train actually takes off.

While it is usually more expensive than flying, it is a nice change of pace and it's nice to have your car with you. I cannot comment on traveling on a regular train, since I never have, but I never experienced any of the problems with the smell or anything. And the AutoTrain doesn't stop, it goes straight through to Sanford.

eagles

i took the train (not the autotrain) from richmond va, to orlando fl. we had coach seats down, it was ok, but i have a bad back, and this was just a bit much for me. so the trip down was uncomfortable. hubby and son had no problems at all. there is plenty of room for reclining the seats. the a/c is not real cold, but we still used small blankets. we ate on the train, and the food is not great, but it is not bad. (some places in disney are not great but not bad)

on the way back, we had a roomette (?). it is small, but there is a toilet in the room. now that was the way to go. we ate on the way back and again the food was good.

there is no smoking on the trains anymore, they are smoke free. i think the autotrain has a smoking car though, but not the other trains. if you smoke, there are some stops that they will let you get off while they do whatever they want.

i don't fly, and i hate driving long distances by myself, so the train is the only way i will go. (but i will get a room from now on also)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'll be taking the Auto Train from Lorton on Saturday using a roomette. For me it was a no-brainer. DS12 and I would drive two full days to get to WDW. By taking the Auto Train, it costs us about $120 extra to take the train once you factor in meals, gas and a hotel for the night. But we arrive on Sunday in time to be checked in and at MK by around noon or 1PM instead of much later that day and I'd be rested instead of exhausted after two days' driving. Well worth in in my view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom