Taking a 8 year old girl for her first time for one day to MK

Max Duane

Personally? I wouldn’t!
I’ve always told myself if I have kids and take them to Disney for the first time, I’d want them to experience it blindly with no big expectations. Maybe walk through the castle and start in Fantasyland, ride things as we go. If we’re talking 8 years old, then there’s really no big rush to wait all day for the mountain rides (unless they enjoy big ones then go for it!), but I think going with the flow and allowing them to explore the park as you go may make the day a little more memorable and unexpected.
But that’s just my take if I was in a similar position. I know you can’t go wrong with MK, so you’ll have a great day no matter how you go about it.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I'd start with the monorail. Not the ferry. From there - just go with the flow and let her do whatever it is she wants. The only way you get to be a kid again is by experiencing it through the eyes of one.

Weather_Lady

If you'd like a specific touring plan, there's one at the link below. Just omit whatever coasters or other attractions she's not interested in, and add in missing attractions you think she'd like. (Once you're on-site however, go with the flow! Use the plan as a guideline to ensure you get to the must-dos, but don't let it interfere with spontaneous diversions.)

You'll also need to carve out time for meals and/or an afternoon nap break, if needed. For my kids when they were around 8, not-to-be-missed attractions included 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain (only for my son, who was more adventurous - my daughter wasn't into it at that age), Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, the PeopleMover, Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, the Barnstormer, Mickey's Philharmagic, and the Enchanted Tiki Room, which for some reason was always among their top 3 even though it's a very understated attraction. it's a small world, Journey of the Little Mermaid and Peter Pan are also big favorites of that age group.

JIMINYCR

I'd start out walking into the Chapeau shop and buy her a Disney hat that she would enjoy. Then a stop in the Emporium and let her choose a stuffed character of her liking. Then hit up attractions that she would enjoy. Not all kids are brave enough for coasters with drops and turns. My DS wasnt ready for those at a young age. He also balked on the HM from the scariness. Dont push her on something shes not ready for. Look through a good guide book to see which rides would be appropriate for her. I always start off going up Main St to the hub. Look around there and then visit the castle. (Around the corner is Cinderellas wishing well. ) Then head left through Adventureland and make your way around the park. You must get her some classic Disney snacks to try. Pick a nice place for lunch and dinner. I'd finish the day off by revisiting whichever attractions she found the most enjoyment riding so she can have a good ending. Then buy her a balloon and another memento to take home. Take a quick spin on the monorail before heading to your car.

Sbk1234

I don't like to over-plan, but when I took my kids at 8 and younger, we talked about what the one or two "must do" attractions were for them, and made those a priority. After those were hit, everything else was like gravy. Remind her that there's no way to see and do everything, so her expectations don't get unrealistic.
I would also plan on being there at rope drop, although I'm not sure how that's now handled during Covid.

ppet

Like others have said it depends on the child. My daughter always liked the haunted house style ride at Kings island, So she wanted to do Haunted mansion the most. If the girl likes coasters, then start off with the mountains. If she is a little timid head to fantasy land and start with Pooh, or Dumbo. The little mermaid ride is normally a hit. Be sure to throw in a Dole Whip during the day.

NelleBelle

I'd start out walking into the Chapeau shop and buy her a Disney hat that she would enjoy. Then a stop in the Emporium and let her choose a stuffed character of her liking. Then hit up attractions that she would enjoy. Not all kids are brave enough for coasters with drops and turns. My DS wasnt ready for those at a young age. He also balked on the HM from the scariness. Dont push her on something shes not ready for. Look through a good guide book to see which rides would be appropriate for her. I always start off going up Main St to the hub. Look around there and then visit the castle. (Around the corner is Cinderellas wishing well. ) Then head left through Adventureland and make your way around the park. You must get her some classic Disney snacks to try. Pick a nice place for lunch and dinner. I'd finish the day off by revisiting whichever attractions she found the most enjoyment riding so she can have a good ending. Then buy her a balloon and another memento to take home. Take a quick spin on the monorail before heading to your car.
I was just going to mention that a she should pick out a set of sparkly Minnie Ears (if she likes that kind of thing). And the Chapeau is a great place, although they seem to have have a better selection at the Emporium, but love the Chapeau for embroidering traditional ears!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Just one more thing join Touringplans and do a customized plan for her. That would be your best best. Money well spent if you only have one day in a park. Paging @lentesta

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

I really think it all depends on the child...

I have one child that's a planner and wants to know what we're doing well before we ever set foot in a park. I have another who is go with the flow and would rather show up and see what she's up for in the moment. Both kids also have some love/hate feelings about certain attractions that the other doesn't share. I also think about my friend's son who isn't into any kind of thrill rides or anything potentially scary (even Haunted Mansion is off the table for him). In light of this, if you do opt for a regimented touring plan, I'd get a pretty good idea of her likes and dislikes...maybe even show her videos if you're not worried about spoiling things before travel...to help fine tune your plan. Otherwise, I'd go with the flow...and maybe just pick your first attraction so you have a park opening objective.

ilovelabs2021

My younger daughter just went on Splash Mountain on our trip two years ago at age 9; my older daughter, now 13, has never been on it and has said she is not going on it on our next trip, lol! They still haven't done Space Mountain! They do love Mine Train, Haunted Mansion, and Big Thunder. Depends on your child.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom