Taking a 4 month old to Disney

MinnieChar93

Original Poster
I've recently found out I'm pregnant which is amazing. Our trip we have booked next year is in November and will actually be our honeymoon so I don't want to cancel it. Does anyone have any tips for doing Disney with a 4 month old, such as eating in the restaurants, rides etc. I know the baby won't remember it but will still be a lovely holiday to remember.
Thankyou in advance :)

G8rchamps

You will have to go at the pace of your baby as far as breaks, naps, and feeding. We took our daughter at 10 mos and had a great trip. Don't let anyone bother you. Enjoy your trip. Congratulations!

dreamfinder

Congrats!
Basicallly you will need to go at their pace. I've been with 2 different 1yo, and it's a very different experience than going solo. You will need to swap off the baby if you want to do anything intense, and would want to check with your doctor about things like Kilimanjaro Safari.
Figure out your feeding. If you are using bottles, you may not be able to get warm/hot water through out the park, so you may need to trek back to the baby center. And if you aren't using bottles, be comfortable with feeding in public if you don't want to make that trek as well.
Bring noise blocking headphones, and practice having your baby wear them in advance. Shows, parades, and especially fireworks you will want them, a) to help keep the baby calm and b) to protect their ears.
Pack lots of everything. Having too much is better than running out of diapers mid trip and trying to find the right size.

MotherofaPrincessLover

My baby was 4 months when we went to Disneyland in April. I would say it's easier to take a younger baby than an older baby. Obviously you'll need to utilize rider switch for rides the baby can't go on. In the restaurants, I usually just held him when we ate. He wasn't really at the age where he wanted to grab everything so it wasn't hard holding him to eat. He would nap in his stroller when he was tired. I breastfeed, so when he was hungry I just found a spot to sit and would feed him. You will have an amazing time. It will feel so special taking your baby on his/her first rides. Have a great trip!

Seanual757

My wife and I took our daughter at 3 and 4 months to Disney for a weekend. Utilize the baby care centers at the parks they are great my wife uses them with our 5 month old.

Locations:
• Magic Kingdom – next to Crystal Palace
• Epcot – Odyssey Center in Future World
• Disney’s Hollywood Studios – next to guest services building inside main entrance
• Animal Kingdom – Discovery Island, between Pizzafari & Africa

http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/blog/2008/04/09/disney-world-with-an-infant-a-new-experience/

Our little ones sleeps a lot at Disney so it works well use the child swap all the time so we both can enjoy the rides with our other 3 children.

cml4314

We went with a 16 week old last year. My advice:

1) Rent a stroller from one of the dedicated rental companies! We got a Baby Jogger City Mini from Kingdom Strollers (I think). Much cheaper than renting in the park, can take it back to the hotel room, reclines enough for baby to sleep.

2) We also did a lot of time in a soft sided carrier - I did not melt too badly with a baby strapped to me in mid May, so you should be fine in November. This was invaluable on the bus, I felt like he was secure because he was attached to me. It is also amazing at the airport, you can go through security without unstrapping a baby in a carrier, so you have your hands free the whole time.

3) Sun Protection! Good stroller with a big canopy goes a long way, but we also got a good sun hat and used muslin blankets to cover him as needed since sunscreen isn't recommended until 6 months old. He wore lightweight long pants and short sleeves, seemed a good temperature even though it was 90 degrees our entire trip.

4) Use the baby care centers. It is nice to get to go sit in the A/C and cool everyone off while baby feeds. Big, clean changing tables as well, with an attendant constantly keeping stuff clean .

Restaurants, we often just had to hold him. Most quick service places had space for the stroller, table service was hit or miss. It was awkward to hold him but he was nowhere near independent sitting so it was the only option. He wasn't grabby yet at least.

Honestly, I'd rather take a 4 month old than anot older baby! They are still pretty portable at that age. They sleep a ton and are willing to just hang out in the stroller or carrier since they aren't old enough to get truly bored, don't really have a strict bedtime or naptime like an older child so you don't need to plan around their schedule.

MotherofaPrincessLover

Honestly, I'd rather take a 4 month old than anot older baby! They are still pretty portable at that age. They sleep a ton and are willing to just hang out in the stroller or carrier since they aren't old enough to get truly bored, don't really have a strict bedtime or naptime like an older child so you don't need to plan around their schedule.
This exactly. At Disneyland someone was like man it must be hard with a four month old, I've been chasing my ten month old all day. I told him it was probably much easier to have a four month old because he wasn't at the stage yet where he wants to move all the time and gets antsy. On our upcoming vacations, I'm sure I'll wish the baby was four months old again instead of a toddler.

SAV

I will echo what has been said. I found it very easy to go with a young baby. They just kinda hang out and go with the flow. Take advantage of the baby care centers. It's a nice little break for everyone. We brought our own stroller/carrier so it was something familiar for him. We never left the parks and he just slept in the stroller when tired.

MinnieChar93

Original Poster
Thankyou! I have been pre planning a lot and have already looked into renting a stroller. But will also look into a suitable baby carrier that straps to me. Dose sound like it's easier with a 4month old than an older baby.

Belle_MTL

Congrats! The first time we brought our youngest to WDW he was 5 months old. We brought the stroller and the carrier (Baby Bjorn) and I found that we used the carrier the most. We never found it bothersome to carry him around. We were there late October/early November and it wasn't too hot. As others have mentioned, it's easy at that age! Have fun!

buseegal

granted it was August when we went but daughter found it was too hot for both her and 4 month old in carrier. we used a off site stroller rental and daughter loved it. we did not use carseat with stroller again it was too hot. we were a large group at most table serve meals so baby was just passed around the group. only place we found with infant highchairs was Chef Mickey and Hollywood and Vine had the sling chairs which would have worked with carseat.

carriebeth

As a breastfeeder who has taken infants and babies of various ages to WDW, I find it very convenient to feed baby at shows or while on things like Carousel of Progress, Ellen's energy adventure etc. It kept me from having to miss out while the rest of the family did things. I never really used to care centers due to the fact that I didn't want to be "left behind" while everyone else did things and the rest of the family didn't want to stop and wait while the baby fed. At meals I always held baby and most often breastfed then too

DrummerAlly

My tip: move the trip and go while you're pregnant. To put it bluntly, Disney World with a 4 month old (especially your first) is pure hell.

We experienced the same thing in 2012, booked a trip, found out we were pregnant, and went with a 4 month old. It four days we rode two rides and spent more time in the baby care centers with a screaming child than doing anything else. It was without a doubt, the most stressful experience of my life.

TDGMedley

Thankyou! I have been pre planning a lot and have already looked into renting a stroller. But will also look into a suitable baby carrier that straps to me. Dose sound like it's easier with a 4month old than an older baby.
Get a tula baby carrier, I have used it 2 times go far at disney. Love it and find it very easy to carry baby on and off rides. and baby gets comfortable to nap to.

Heatherbell

I have a 6 and 8 year old who have been going since they were teeny infants. I have to agree, it's easier taking a younger baby then an older baby. Maybe even easier then my 6 year old :D. Every stage has it's challenges.
Anyway, if you are well prepared and have realistic expectations (as in any Disney trip) you will be fine.
I agree with alot of what other posters have written. Definately rent a stroller from an outside comany. Disney strollers are expenisive and not appropriate for a 4 month old.
Take advantage of the baby care centers. Not only are they a great way to relax and cool off, they are so cute inside and have everything you need. I was even able to purchase formula (expensive formula) when someone *cough cough my husband* left the formula in the room.
Another thing that I have always done is send down a package via UPS to the hotle we are staying at so I didn't have to pack all the baby's gear. We sent down diapers, swim diapers, formula, the carrier, snacks for my toddler and us, extra bottles clothes etc. Sending stuff down ahead of time is great. You can send it right to your hotel and they give it to you on check in. Saved alot of luggage space and hassle.
If you do use formula-I always kept a bottle of water on me and then I wold go to any counter service/restaurant etc and ask for hot water (like for tea) and then I would use that in combination with the bottled water to get a perfect temp for my kiddo. I was never charged for the hot water.
Lastly-enjoy. Take it easy and let your baby take in all the wonderful sights. Disney isn't going anywhere so try not to rush and be stressed. Congratulations!

jlsHouston

Other than the stroller part and feeding and diaper times, a 4month old will be a breeze. I found an 8 month old challenging, then more challenging at 18 months and 24 months. His sister on the other hand easy as pie in the parks at 3 months and 8 months.

SarahBella82

I echo the use of a carrier ('wearing' the baby). I use the KTan (actually made my own for 1/6th the price). My babe sleeps well in hers, and it gives your arms a reprieve by absorbing a lot of the weight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom