Tacit differences between Value - Moderate - Deluxe

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
For those of you who don't know, I have a trip planned in January 2019. After some extensive research we've decided to stay at the Coronado Springs Resort, thanks to the discount pricing of "Magic your Way". I know about some of the differences but i'm still open to learning more. I understand that it may be difficult to get a solid conclusion, taking into account the number of values / moderates / deluxes and their locations..

But as a whole, what are the "hidden" differences between the three?
For example..
1. Does check-in, check-out tend to be more convenient in Deluxe?
2. Are crowds / children generally better behaved?
3. Does traveling point A to point B require less effort? Hotel to Park, Park to Hotel, Hotel to Car, etc.

I'd like to hear your experiences, biases; heck anything you'd like to contribute.

Willmark

I’ll be able to tell you... in two weeks. Staying at Yacht Club in 3 days. Previously, we have stayed at Moderates.

correcaminos

I don't know if children are better behaved, but I do find deluxes more quiet over all. It might have to do more with less people though. Also the lobbies somehow feel more cozy and less open echos for some reason. I'm not sure why.

In short I don't want to say that children are better behaved as labeling certain resorts with certain types of people really.

I notice is also at the pools. Even when crowded, the deluxe pools feel more quiet and less crazy. Again might have to do with volume.

My moderate stays/visits have been more quiet too than the values, but not really much different than the deluxes.

As for transportation - it depends on the resort. I find boats easier than buses. Monorails are hit or miss though on the resort line especially. So a place like Polynesian wins with boat access to MK and walking to TTC to do the monorail there. In general bus wait times are no different for me. Travel time through resorts also varies depending on number of stops.

YMMV and of course my experiences only :)

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I don't know if children are better behaved, but I do find deluxes more quiet over all. It might have to do more with less people though. Also the lobbies somehow feel more cozy and less open echos for some reason. I'm not sure why.

In short I don't want to say that children are better behaved as labeling certain resorts with certain types of people really.

I notice is also at the pools. Even when crowded, the deluxe pools feel more quiet and less crazy. Again might have to do with volume.

My moderate stays/visits have been more quiet too than the values, but not really much different than the deluxes.

As for transportation - it depends on the resort. I find boats easier than buses. Monorails are hit or miss though on the resort line especially. So a place like Polynesian wins with boat access to MK and walking to TTC to do the monorail there. In general bus wait times are no different for me. Travel time through resorts also varies depending on number of stops.

YMMV and of course my experiences only :)

This is exactly the type of response i'm looking for. Simply based on your observations and experiences - thanks for sharing!

I was just using the "better behaved crowds" thing as an example of something that would be tacit lol

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Dining. Deluxes usually have multiple TS and a QS, moderates a TS and a food court, and values have food courts.
Room sizes. Deluxes are larger with more in-room amenities. Moderates are not so large, and values are pretty small.

Much-Pixie-Dust

There are groups that go to some of the mods, just like the values. They tend to put them in certain buildings. Was at Coronado in August and there were teams and their families there for some Junior NBA tourney. There were teams from around the world. No behavior problems and kids and families were great, but groups are there too. We even had a very large cheer and dance group staying at AKL at our last visit during President’s Weekend this past February. That was our first experience of a youth group at a Deluxe. There were 2 charter busses full of them. Never noticed them except in the lobby.

Kiwiduck

I recently spent 2 weeks at WDW, the first week at a moderate resort: Coronado Springs and the 2nd week at the value resort Pop Century. Coronado had quiet pathways, quiet food court, mostly quiet buses, minimal children, beautiful fountains and a lovely peaceful atmosphere. Pop was very energetic with lots of happy loud families in the pathways, on the buses and in the foodcourt. I vastly preferred the quieter atmosphere at the moderate resort but lots of people might prefer the more energetic atmosphere at Pop.

correcaminos

This is exactly the type of response i'm looking for. Simply based on your observations and experiences - thanks for sharing!

I was just using the "better behaved crowds" thing as an example of something that would be tacit lol

I didn't think anything bad of it. I just clarified for myself since I didn't want people to jump on me saying "what are you saying those who don't spend have no manners" or something equally as bad LOL

I admit I never noticed about the TP or towels mentioned above. Won't comment on the beds as my stays there have been where I had a bed to myself which always makes a difference or was too young to notice. Only deluxe have I shared regularly (husband).

But yes to the balcony/patio. That's a huge bonus for me!

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I recently spent 2 weeks at WDW, the first week at a moderate resort: Coronado Springs and the 2nd week at the value resort Pop Century. Coronado had quiet pathways, quiet food court, mostly quiet buses, minimal children, beautiful fountains and a lovely peaceful atmosphere. Pop was very energetic with lots of happy loud families in the pathways, on the buses and in the foodcourt. I vastly preferred the quieter atmosphere at the moderate resort but lots of people might prefer the more energetic atmosphere at Pop.

Thanks! This was one of my fears when contemplating a value resort.. the prices were hard to argue with, but based on their exterior(s) I generally felt they would be louder / more energetic / busier. Good thing I went with my gut on Coronado haha.

NYwdwfan

Stayed at AoA after having stayed only at the Deluxe resorts. What we noticed was a lot of larger families - since the resort suites can hold more people than a standard room - and they tended to be younger in age than we were used to. We were 3 adults and 3 kids aged 12, 14 and 14 and we found the families with 2 adults and 3-4 really young children quite entertaining to watch - like herding cats. There was also a different energy to the resort - more people back at the pool mid-day for breaks. It wasn’t better or worse, good or bad, just different.

Ricky Spanish

For those of you who don't know, I have a trip planned in January 2019. After some extensive research we've decided to stay at the Coronado Springs Resort, thanks to the discount pricing of "Magic your Way". I know about some of the differences but i'm still open to learning more. I understand that it may be difficult to get a solid conclusion, taking into account the number of values / moderates / deluxes and their locations..

But as a whole, what are the "hidden" differences between the three?
For example..
1. Does check-in, check-out tend to be more convenient in Deluxe?
2. Are crowds / children generally better behaved?
3. Does traveling point A to point B require less effort? Hotel to Park, Park to Hotel, Hotel to Car, etc.

I'd like to hear your experiences, biases; heck anything you'd like to contribute.
I can't stop laughing about question #2

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To add:

One definite main difference is room size. As you go up in level, the rooms become more roomier.

Because of that, Values were known for their double double beds (though they had rooms where you can pay more for a queen or king size) while Mods and Luxe were double queen beds. However, with the recent renovation of the Values, they're now switching to double queens for all rooms (with one being a Murphy bed).

Values are known for their motel-like structure where all rooms face out to an outside walkway/pool/parking lot. Mods can also be in the same way, though they try to make the outside much more well-groomed and landscaped compared to Values' oversized fiberglass props. Luxes tend to have their doors on the interior hallway.

Values tend to have mall-like food courts. Mods have quick serve and table service restaurants. Values have all that and signature table service restaurants, even with a character meal available.

As you go up the levels, all the amenities scale up. Values have a giant pool shaped like something with decorations. Mods have themed slides and fountains and sauna pools. Luxes have mini-water parks. Thread count on sheets go up. Times that room service is available expands. Fitness rooms are at Mods and up. Spas are at Luxes.

If you plan to arrive at your room each day late at night and then drag yourself out in the morning to hit the parks... there's almost no reason not to stay at a Value room and save enough money for two-six extra days at the park.

TrojanUSC

Value resorts often have school groups and Brazilian tour groups, which can lead to some very loud nights. Value and Moderate resorts are also, personally, very inconvenient as you can be quite a trek from the lobby/dining venues. I much prefer a hotel where I'm within a 3-5 minute walk of anything else on the resort's property.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Deluxe = two-ply toilet paper, individual toiletries (no wall dispensers), thicker plush towels, deeper mattresses with higher thread count sheets, private patio or balcony

And that 2 ply TP isn't much better than what's at Values and Moderates. Which is why I bring my own Charmin. 😄

But yes, I agree with everything else. And concierge level rooms at some deluxes.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
To add:

One definite main difference is room size. As you go up in level, the rooms become more roomier.

Because of that, Values were known for their double double beds (though they had rooms where you can pay more for a queen or king size) while Mods and Luxe were double queen beds. However, with the recent renovation of the Values, they're now switching to double queens for all rooms (with one being a Murphy bed).

Values are known for their motel-like structure where all rooms face out to an outside walkway/pool/parking lot. Mods can also be in the same way, though they try to make the outside much more well-groomed and landscaped compared to Values' oversized fiberglass props. Luxes tend to have their doors on the interior hallway.

Values tend to have mall-like food courts. Mods have quick serve and table service restaurants. Values have all that and signature table service restaurants, even with a character meal available.

As you go up the levels, all the amenities scale up. Values have a giant pool shaped like something with decorations. Mods have themed slides and fountains and sauna pools. Luxes have mini-water parks. Thread count on sheets go up. Times that room service is available expands. Fitness rooms are at Mods and up. Spas are at Luxes.

If you plan to arrive at your room each day late at night and then drag yourself out in the morning to hit the parks... there's almost no reason not to stay at a Value room and save enough money for two-six extra days at the park.

Which moderates have gyms?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
It's funny that the one thing that has always stuck out for me is the gift store. Values stock things you'd find at an airport Disney store. Mods have a little better variety and options. With Deluxe's you get things like the Tommy Bahama Disney Collection (Poly).

Edited to say: I think the biggest difference is that the parking spots are better at a Deluxe vs a Mod vs a Value. That's why they cost more respectively.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom