T-rex what's the apeal?

DVC4bestvacations

Original Poster
I've been trying to get an ADR for T-rex for the 3rd week in December with no luck. I can get ADR's for almost any DSs restaurants during that week. I'm wondering what is the appeal? Is it all about the show? Is the food above average? In my mind I'm thinking its Rainforest cafe' with Dino's. I don't consider the food at RFC very good. Enlighten Me

Otterhead

From what I've seen it's literally a Rainforest Cafe that's dinosaur themed -- it's owned and run by RFC. But I swear every time I was on a bus heading to Disney Springs and there were kids on board, they were heading to T-Rex with their tired-looking parents. I guess you can't deny the appeal of animatronic dinosaurs.

JIMINYCR

Parents will take the kids where they will be entertained by the surrounding dinosaur sights & sounds.... but also the menu is more kid friendly than other dining places throughout DS that are more sort of adult oriented. Why spend for meals the kids wont eat?? And yes the food is pretty much similar to Rainforest.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Most reservations are left to do by booking with the restaurant directly. They only give a small fraction of reservations to Disney for booking online. Call T-Rex they will have them available. Number can be found online. ;)

reptar77

I didn't care for the food. I agree with you that it is like the rainforest cafe just with dinos. It was extremely loud when we went.

Otterhead

I agree with you that it is like the rainforest cafe just with dinos.
The thing that bugs me about Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex is that so many guests assume they're Disney-made restaurants, due to the animatronics and theming. And they go, see crappy animatronics and get mediocre food, and think "gee, Disney did a lousy job on these places." RFC used to be a fairly large chain; I had one near me when I lived in Cincinnati, and used to go to the one in Boston with my nephew. It's weird to me that Disney would give them such prominence.

Matt_Black

I remember Mike Nelson (of MST3K and Rifftrax fame) did a gentle takedown of RFC in one of his books, taking particular aim at one line in the menu.

Pull up one of our hand carved animal stools...
"Good heavens, no! Even disregarding sanitary concerns, is there any animal besides an elephant or a particularly large wildebeest that would offer enough raw yield for seating concerns?"

DVC4bestvacations

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. I'm not interested in dining at a RFC because of the uninspiring food. Your replies have confirmed what I suspected. T-rex is just another RFC with dino's.. We will pursue other options.

Disney4family

As unmagical as it may seem according to above posters, I have no regrets taking my young son there when dinosaurs were his passion. As with most things on a WDW trip, the look on his face being there is something I will never forget. Yes, the food and waitstaff experience can be hit or miss (as with any level restaurant anywhere). You know your child(ren) best. It's up to you if you believe the overall experience will be worth it in the end. We did it twice and have the build-a-dino dolls as wonderful souvenirs, too.

Otterhead

As with most things on a WDW trip, the look on his face being there is something I will never forget.
This is ABSOLUTELY true. Kids absolutely love it and aren't sitting there thinking "gee, this triceratops isn't moving as smoothly as the one at Animal Kingdom" or "this pizza isn't Wolfgang Puck quality". They're just digging being in the middle of a Jurassic world with robot dinosaurs all over, and that's as magical as anything else.

DABIGCHEEZ

I didn't care for the food. I agree with you that it is like the rainforest cafe just with dinos. It was extremely loud when we went.

Did you expect a nice quiet candle lit table? It is a kid-friendly restaurant with Dinos and a "meteor shower" every 1/2/ hour... of course it is loud. Just like most things at WDW.... you need to do your research beforehand.

JennSmith

I do NOT like Rainforest Cafe. At all. However we went to T-Rex last year because I thought my son would like the theming. In my opinion, I feel the theming and food are way better than Rainforest.

carriebeth

First, anyone interested in a table should call them rather than try to book online. If you call you will most likely get your reservation without an issue at all.

Like others said the appeal is for the children. There are a few options for princess loving girls in Disney but not really any dining more targeted at boys. So if you take your little girl to a princess meal you have to balance it out by taking your boy to a dinosaur meal! Their menu is pretty extensive comparatively, but its not what you would consider especially delicious or special food. Its loud, but again, thats great for families. No matter what your children do during this meal, no one else will really hear them. YOu can relax and know you are not disturbing anyone else around you.

Now if you are a group of adults you probably won't really be interested in this place...unless you have a thing for dinosaurs or are especially child like at heart!

KBLovedDisney

In my opinion, with the high ceilings and the extra added "ice age/lava" effects alongside animatronic dinosaurs, it is kind of like a ride with food. However, the food...not so great.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks for your replies. I'm not interested in dining at a RFC because of the uninspiring food. Your replies have confirmed what I suspected. T-rex is just another RFC with dino's.. We will pursue other options.

Sorry I didn't mention that we would be a group of adults. So when I have young ones along with us I would consider dining there.

Wise choice. We have had great times there when traveling with our kids, but now that our kids are nearly grown (youngest is 15) there are far more better options at DS when it comes to food quality.

The most we do at RFC or T-Rex now is grab a drink and maybe a appetizer or desert at the bar when we need a quick break.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The most we do at RFC or T-Rex now is grab a drink and maybe a appetizer or desert at the bar when we need a quick break.

The "new" Lava Lounge at RFC is great too. Perfect spot to stop in for a drink and a snack. They also have a few big-ish TVs, so it's a nice place to catch a game.

As to T-rex, it's Applebee's with Dinosaurs. Aka, a hugely upgraded Applebees.....I have a reservation at T-rex because Landon is obsessed with Dinosaurs, so I for one am thankful it exists.

jaklgreen

What others have said, it's RFC with dinos. The food is not good and we consider it a waste of our stomach space, especially with all of the other much better options at Disney Springs. I think the appeal of the place is that kids like the dino theme and parents take their kids there to be happy, not to get them good food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom