SYWTBAI Season 18 - Round One: Team Old School Brainstorm Thread

JokersWild

The Stage
Off to the side is a medium sized platform of smooth dark metal, suspended from the rock above by large, rusted chains. Here, travelers may take the stage to tell their stories, experiences, and knowledge with the wasteland’s weary residents. The stage is entirely empty with the exception of a single ring microphone attached to a stand. In front of the stage, buried partially in the sand are three large mostly exposed speakers. Above the stage hangs a large banner made of muddied cloth. Written in grease are the words : ”Spill your guts, Brothers!”

The History Man
Every so often, an odd-looking man dressed in a dirty cloak ascends The Stage. Hobbling to the microphone, he addresses passing guests in a booming voice: “Heed me brothers, and hear the tale of Mad Max.” Over the next ten minutes, the History Man will then tell the tales of Mad Max, relaying the plot of one of the Mad Max films through in-universe language. After telling his tale, the History Man will quietly descend from the stage until his next show.

The Heralds
Every night at dusk, a small troupe of War Boys descend into Haven. Two carry large drums, and the supposed leader has a modified guitar strapped to him. Pulled by a chain is the group’s prisoner, wearing a metal muzzle and carrying a very large amplifier on his back. The group pushes through guests as they make their way to The Stage, demanding them to “make way for the Imortan Joe’s exalted heralds.” Ascending the stage, the main herald begins to warn guests of Imortan Joe’s impending invasion of Haven, asking them to peacefully fall into the fold of Joe’s loyal subjects. What follows is a short musical show featuring guitar and drum. The main herald’s guitar occasionally erupts in flames, as the slave’s amp sparks disconcertingly. Eventually, the group leaves, once again warning of the impending invasion.

JokersWild

I'm going to get up early tomorrow to finish up the finalized area description, and see where we're at before I have to go to work. Feel free to adjust anything you'd like. Good night, and I'll see you all in the morning (evening for you.)

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Hey boys and girls. Just wanted to give you guys an update on my portions of the project:

Firstly, I've read everyone's submissions thus far and they all look really fantastic. However we've run into a very small problem: the write ups for the table service and the shop are redundantly close to what I was going to do with both the secondary shop and the CS. Thus, I think that we should cut them both. I don't think that they're necessary and your write-ups are far better than what I could have done. I'd still like to keep the gas station, at least as a facade, or possibly it could be pushed into part of the facade for Pi's shop.

With that I can take both of the streetmosphere entertainment. I'll get them up at some point tonight with the final draft of the land outline. If for some reason we don't have a C-ticket done, I'll have one waiting in standby.

Secondly, with the time difference that I'm now dealing with, it will be mid-afternoon on Monday for me when the project is due. I'll be stuck at work during this time, and unfortunately won't be able to post the project. I'll do whatever I can over the next how ever many hours, but I won't be here to post.

How are all of the other parts of the land coming? I think that the only big things that we're still waiting on are the attractions.
I should have no problem posting the project. You've done amazing stuff!

I can write up the secondary shop as an exit gift shop for the main ride. That's real easy.

As far as the Gas Station goes... Astion Tavern (Broken Neon sign gAS staTION. A walk up Counter Service that has some snacks, but mostly drinks. Including specialty stuff like Guzzolene Guzzler or milkshakes with Chrome Whip Cream.

I'm living in Japan. I'm not sure what the timezone is called exactly, but it's 13 hours ahead of EST.

Japan! That's crazy! Are you a local there? Or just move there for work? It's crazy how active you've been with a 13 hour time difference lol

The Stage
Off to the side is a medium sized platform of smooth dark metal, suspended from the rock above by large, rusted chains. Here, travelers may take the stage to tell their stories, experiences, and knowledge with the wasteland’s weary residents. The stage is entirely empty with the exception of a single ring microphone attached to a stand. In front of the stage, buried partially in the sand are three large mostly exposed speakers. Above the stage hangs a large banner made of muddied cloth. Written in grease are the words : ”Spill your guts, Brothers!”

The History Man
Every so often, an odd-looking man dressed in a dirty cloak ascends The Stage. Hobbling to the microphone, he addresses passing guests in a booming voice: “Heed me brothers, and hear the tale of Mad Max.” Over the next ten minutes, the History Man will then tell the tales of Mad Max, relaying the plot of one of the Mad Max films through in-universe language. After telling his tale, the History Man will quietly descend from the stage until his next show.

The Heralds
Every night at dusk, a small troupe of War Boys descend into Haven. Two carry large drums, and the supposed leader has a modified guitar strapped to him. Pulled by a chain is the group’s prisoner, wearing a metal muzzle and carrying a very large amplifier on his back. The group pushes through guests as they make their way to The Stage, demanding them to “make way for the Imortan Joe’s exalted heralds.” Ascending the stage, the main herald begins to warn guests of Imortan Joe’s impending invasion of Haven, asking them to peacefully fall into the fold of Joe’s loyal subjects. What follows is a short musical show featuring guitar and drum. The main herald’s guitar occasionally erupts in flames, as the slave’s amp sparks disconcertingly. Eventually, the group leaves, once again warning of the impending invasion.

That is fantastic!!!

JokersWild

I should have no problem posting the project. You've done amazing stuff!

I can write up the secondary shop as an exit gift shop for the main ride. That's real easy.

As far as the Gas Station goes... Astion Tavern (Broken Neon sign gAS staTION. A walk up Counter Service that has some snacks, but mostly drinks. Including specialty stuff like Guzzolene Guzzler or milkshakes with Chrome Whip Cream.
That's funny. I had a super similar idea that I couldn't get to work properly. I wanted the neon letters for "Haven" removed from the gas station sign and the remaining letters somehow reading "Man's Last Stop" when lit up at night. Turning that into an exit gift shop sounds great. Can't wait to see it. You've been putting out some really fantastic work this round as well.

Japan! That's crazy! Are you a local there? Or just move there for work? It's crazy how active you've been with a 13 hour time difference lol
I'm from New York lol. Just moved out to Japan in March to teach English. Thankfully the time difference works out well enough where at least someone is up when I am. Or I'll just respond when I wake up haha.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
As far as my update goes, Gonna write up the main attraction and the filler stuff like the Gas Station and the Gift shop today. Hope to have them all done by around 6 PM EST. After that, it will be all tweaking the map.

I should be available tonight to help add stuff to the Google Doc, but anyone can edit that and it is pretty easy to use. So, if people can add their stuff as they go, that would be helpful.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
That's funny. I had a super similar idea that I couldn't get to work properly. I wanted the neon letters for "Haven" removed from the gas station sign and the remaining letters somehow reading "Man's Last Stop" when lit up at night. Turning that into an exit gift shop sounds great. Can't wait to see it. You've been putting out some really fantastic work this round as well.

Man's Last Stop with Haven removed... Not good enough at word games to figure that one out lol

But we could do something like Bud's Gas Station So it can become B-as-t-ion. Bastion has a similar vibe to Haven as a name

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Bastion - QSR Stand Specializing in Drinks
baejm90tCY9zV2fc1h4qtnNa68Sd9mwje1RSfOm70W9lJtjCxQYhx-ktFZ9QP-Aqrb0NX-vbAM9CR9qFB0AIFyRJNP-pleQO-kWaWtAo-agb8rzawjESKOE4QrXgI06n_yamOLn7

Bastion. Much like the Settlement of Haven which lies right at the edge of Immortan Joe’s Citadel, Bastion gets it’s name from a broken sign. A relic of the time before. This walk up quick service stand is built in a rusted old gas station. The pumps have been converted into heavily themed Coke Freestyle Machines for the Universal Rapid Refill mugs. Head up to the counter for popcorn, pretzels, and other simple snack foods. Plus, Icees which are also great for the Rapid Refill cup holders.

FEYZU0LaEifybuCHoW1Me-yQzmZsF_nXR4O-NXTC3ls2h4GO-umzYj5mrd8v794knz7DRgAEv-LK0wVuVfjOgBs_V5Wx5ySwfuorlab8xb3HyjZP9cBd807GU6ln1cs9L5SSLj9C

The biggest highlight at Bastion though is the specialty drinks. Both alcoholic and non alcoholic. Shiny, chrome colored Icees with a special flavor can be found here. Chrome Icees have a citrus blend that gives it a vaguely acidic, yet refreshing taste. Guzolene, the misremembered word for Gasoline which is so precious in the Wasteland, can be purchased here. Unlike real life gas, Guzolene can be drunk just as the War Boys do in the film. It will be an exclusive new energy drink created in partnership with Coca-Cola (partly as a cross-promotion with their new line of Coke Energy Drinks). It has a lemony twist to it (As a former movie theater employee, half of us mixed lemonade with the coke for ourselves, it is amazing). Guzolene also has an alcoholic variation with a bit of vodka blended in.​

AceAstro

Here's the intro, stunt show will be Up in a bit here

Intro

lhH-Fjcpr9_SgRtCk7SbRG60oHMtHVPUnKPuGxwe-WvknmRz1oRCbrIkx_hCtkWbkS1GobQym5kiB2wTCPEtiOgMHvmbAtzw3MRJiWV-3jVf1mMK3G5LgA-Rbnwew4_1hHJae_rF

Mad Max was a franchise from the early 1980’s resulting in 3 movies. All were well received while doing substandard in the box office. 30 years after the third movie, Mad Max Fury Road was released to high praise and decent box office numbers as well as earning 6 Oscars and being nominated for many more.

The aesthetics of a post-apocalyptic world brought more and more people to the film. We believe that the world-building of the whole franchise leads perfectly to a whole world at Epic Universe.​

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Had some weird family stuff come up. Nothing bad, just weird. My stuff will probably be done a bit later than I originally planned though. I'll still have it done and be able to post tonight.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Homestretch!

Stuffs to do.
Bigger stuff is more important or needs more detail.
Red is unclaimed, Yellow is claimed, Green is done.

General
Attractions
Shopping
Dining

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I’m just gonna call the land description done unfortunately. I overslept and now I’m at work.
Great job, everyone, especially Pi. I’m pretty proud with how this came out.
That works, what you had was great!

The mian ride might be a little light on detail, but the land as a whole speaks for itself I think. We've done a great job this round, team!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Got this written up. @Basketbuddy101 if ya get something last minute we can add it in

War Boy Battle Cars

This will be simple bumper cars to help round out the list of attractions and add more for younger guests. Cars will have a sensor added to the front so that guests can get points for hitting other vehicles. The high scores are tracked and displayed on a large roster. Repeatedly hitting the same car reduces how many points it is worth. Hitting the same car too many times will even start subtracting points to discourage harassing easy targets.. The track for the bumper cars will be really large with rocks, rusted vehicles, and other obstacles spread throughout. Some of these obstacles will even have targets on them that player can crash into for bonus points or to create smoke/light effects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom