SYWTBAI Season 18 - Round One: Team Old School Brainstorm Thread

AceAstro

I really love the Godzilla idea! It could be a beautifully themed area!

One last land idea: What if the last land complimented the rest of them? Horror and made for children?

1590445830889.png

The movies were made by Columbia but unclear about Theme park rights

Basketbuddy101

One last land idea: What if the last land complimented the rest of them? Horror and made for children?

View attachment 472591

It's definitely conceivable that Universal could, in theory, nab those rights, so that wouldn't be an issue. Those books take me back. R.L. Stine was like the Stephen King of children's horror lol

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Y'know, if it weren't for the fact that it's now owned by Disney, I would've suggested a Futurama land.
I had that same thought earlier lol. That was what inspired me to suggest Rick & Morty haha

View attachment 472591

That could be interesting. We could take some Stranger Things inspiration and set it in a small town in the 90s where there is weird stuff around every turn. Maybe a big Mall as a big set piece for the land giving us a food court and some shops. The indoor section could give us some relief from the weather and a chance for some more effects than we could do outdoors. House an interactive dark ride in here where you try to capture different creatures that have gotten loose in the mall. Another ride could be a more traditional and spooky dark ride through the halls of a haunted school... A GHOUL SCHOOL!

I have never read a single Goosebumps. All I know is Twilight Zone/Stephen King Jr and 90s nostalgia.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I don't think that Fox owns Futurama. I know that the rights have bounced around a lot....

Whatever you guys choose I'll support. We just gotta get moving on this. Out of Pi's list, my choices are:

.Mad Max
.Bioshock
.Adventure Time
Of those three, Mad Max would be my pick. Though I've only seen Fury Road and the Rick & Morty episode that parodied it, so I don't know much we could do beyond a slot car E-Ticket And some cool Wasteland environments. Maybe a Thunderdome stunt and effects show? Thunderdome is Mad Max, right?

JokersWild

Of those three, Mad Max would be my pick. Though I've only seen Fury Road and the Rick & Morty episode that parodied it, so I don't know much we could do beyond a slot car E-Ticket And some cool Wasteland environments. Maybe a Thunderdome stunt and effects show? Thunderdome is Mad Max, right?
Thunderdome is Mad Max, yes. Honestly, Fury Road is the one that matters so it’s not an issue that you haven’t seen the others. I think that the biggest issue is figuring out how to convey the action in a dark ride, but everything else is very feasible.

JokersWild

I just wanted to quickly run through some concepts for each of the ideas we’ve discussed to look at viability:

Bioshock
.bathysphere simulator
.dark ride experience through Rapture Civil War

Mad Max
.Thunderdome stunt show
.slot car dark ride

Ghostbusters
.shooting dark ride

Adventure Time
.simulator through cosmic universe
.dark ride/ coaster through Ooo

Godzilla
.special effects show
.themed coaster

.water ride
.dueling coaster (side note, I’ve always wanted to make a dueling roller coaster and water coaster)

Rick and Morty - The Citadel of Ricks.
.BttF: The Ride parody simulator
.Blips n Chitz.
. Weird flat ride.

Out of all of these, I think that the only one that blatantly doesn’t work is Ghostbusters. I just genuinely don’t know which is best as there doesn’t seem to be a clear outlier to me.

tcool123

I'm sold, personally. Definitely worthy of the 'Epic' tag, recognizable, multicultural appeal, and lends itself rather well to attractions, provided we make them unique enough to stand out against the Reign of Kongs and JP River Adventures of the world.
Same here. The whole IP is a proven classic.

I just wanted to quickly run through some concepts for each of the ideas we’ve discussed to look at viability:

Bioshock
.bathysphere simulator
.dark ride experience through Rapture Civil War

Mad Max
.Thunderdome stunt show
.slot car dark ride

Ghostbusters
.shooting dark ride

Adventure Time
.simulator through cosmic universe
.dark ride/ coaster through Ooo

Godzilla
.special effects show
.themed coaster

.water ride
.dueling coaster (side note, I’ve always wanted to make a dueling roller coaster and water coaster)

Rick and Morty - The Citadel of Ricks.
.BttF: The Ride parody simulator
.Blips n Chitz.
. Weird flat ride.

Out of all of these, I think that the only one that blatantly doesn’t work is Ghostbusters. I just genuinely don’t know which is best as there doesn’t seem to be a clear outlier to me.
Out of all these my too pick is still Mad Max given its unique aesthetic currently not represented in a Orlando theme park.

Godzilla would be my runner up.

I think Ghostbusters works better as a stand-alone attraction and not its own land.

JokersWild

Same here. The whole IP is a proven classic.

Out of all these my too pick is still Mad Max given its unique aesthetic currently not represented in a Orlando theme park.

Godzilla would be my runner up.

I think Ghostbusters works better as a stand-alone attraction and not its own land.
I think that’s where I’m at too. I really adore the Bikini Atoll, but I think that Mad Max has more potential as a land.

JokersWild

Looks like we're somewhat split, although Mad Max has picked up some steam. For the sake of confirming an IP asap, let's roll with Mad Max, provided no one has any objections? It's not set in stone just yet.
Give me a few hours and I have full pitches for each of the three lands we’re stuck between, if it would make the decision easier. I’m just stuck at work right now so I can’t type it out on my phone.

I’m go Mad Max, personally

pix

Hey I was just informed that not only has things started early but the first thread i found myself on was the enemies. Hi, I'm pix, my pronouns are they them and I was not prepared to start until june first so i don't have much to contribute. Out of the ones listed my top 3 are avatar, adventure time, and rick and morty, and i know we are basically just down to pick one of the ones listed but I feel like i gotta throw out my first two instinctive thoughts which were league of extrordinary gentleman and road to el dorado. but yeah. I am not available much for this one so really i dont have too firm of a preference.

(I swear I am marginally more cohearent and better at writing when I am more awake and also more sober, I just popped on to change my profile pic and saw things were happening)

JokersWild

Hey I was just informed that not only has things started early but the first thread i found myself on was the enemies. Hi, I'm pix, my pronouns are they them and I was not prepared to start until june first so i don't have much to contribute. Out of the ones listed my top 3 are avatar, adventure time, and rick and morty, and i know we are basically just down to pick one of the ones listed but I feel like i gotta throw out my first two instinctive thoughts which were league of extrordinary gentleman and road to el dorado. but yeah. I am not available much for this one so really i dont have too firm of a preference.

(I swear I am marginally more cohearent and better at writing when I am more awake and also more sober, I just popped on to change my profile pic and saw things were happening)
Ooh League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was one of the first things I thought of as well, but I worry about its' placement with it being a comic book, as IoA is the literature park. I would absolutely love to work with that IP, and the world absolutely lends itself to an immersive theme park land, but I dunno.

Anyway, of the three main IPs that we were throwing around the most, here are my very brief outlines. They're basically just my initial thoughts on what these lands could be based on our discussions over the past few days. Hopefully we can use these to come to a decision. Obviously, I don't expect us to use these ideas necessarily - I just think that it's an easy way to get something more tangible when deciding on a land.

Mad Max - The Wasteland
Set in a canyon settlement centered around a derelict gas station. Set a bit before Fury Road

Attractions/ Entertainment:
.Slot car style ride where guests are tasked with retrieving gas for the settlement. War Boys attack, until Mad Max swoops in a saves the day.
.Thunderdome - combat-themed stunt show set in the iconic Thunderdome
.The Crows Nest - Ropes course up the canyon's tallest butte. Gives great views of the land and the rest of the park.
.The Storyteller - Shaman-looking streetmosphere who tells the legends of "Mad Max" Rocketansky

Food:
.The Smoker - BBQ with a post-apocalyptic twist. It's just barbecue. There is no twist.

Shopping:
.Generic merch sold in the gas station.
. Toy Maker - Models of the iconic vehicles from the movies made out of scrap metal.

Godzilla - Bikini Atoll
.Military base built on the Bikini Atoll.

Attractions/ Entertainment
.Godzilla effects show - Maybe they're building Mecha Godzilla. Nevertheless, Godzilla attacks, and it's a pretty cool effect.
.Coaster - Guests wind through a long- abandoned beached cargo ship. Coaster comes face to face with many of Godzilla's nemeses (King Ghidorah, Mothra and the like.)

Food:
.Canteen? - similar to Satu'uli Canteen

Shopping:
.Mercantile? I don't know.

Adventure Time - The Land of Ooo
Set primarily in the Candy Kingdom. Finn and Jake's house are just behind the Candy Kingdom, and is fully explorable as the queue for one of the attractions.

Attractions:
.Simulator through cosmic world of Adventure Time - Finn's dad, Prismo, Cosmic Owl, Lumpy Space, Mars. Maybe a quick dimension change? Hosted by B-MO
.Spider-Man-type (or maybe a coaster?) attraction through Ooo. Join Finn and Jake as they fight the Ice King. See various characters and locales - Fire Kingdom, Litch King, Marceline, etc.

Food:
.Tree Trunks - Diner run by Tree Trunks. Serves Apple pie, bacon pancakes, and other foods shown in the series. Maybe character specials (i.e. "Marceline's Special" in which every item is red?)

Shopping:
.No idea.

--------------------------------------------​

Hopefully this can somewhat help us decide. After writing these outlines with my own ideas, I'm definitely between Mad Max, and Adventure Time. Both could be amazing, but the big question is if we want a strictly adult IP, or a more approachable, lighter IP (the fact that the park already has two family-based lands is what concerns me the most in regards to Adventure Time, but I had the most fun coming up with ideas for Adventure Time so color me conflicted.)

Any other ideas? As long as we get the theme solidified by tomorrow (Wednesday,) I think we'll be in a good place.

orlando678-

I'm fine with any of the options. I guess Adventure Time kind of fits the park's theme the most and I'm most familiar with the franchise. I also still feel like Cats would be pretty cool, even though its been one of the least successful film productions in recent years. Avatar is also great, but it might be too much to capture in a land, a great concept though! Especially setting it as its own Nickelodeon franchise next to Dreamworks, Nintendo and the Universal Monsters.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Like Ace, none of these I'm crazy passionate about and none of these I'm crazy against.

I think Mad Max is my pick.

I know nothing about Godzilla even if the land ideas we have sound cool. And Adventure Time just doesn't grab me as much despite being the most familiar with that one. Mad Max feels like a good balance between different things and gives us a good chance to create a land that could stand on its own apart from the IP.

JokersWild

Like Ace, none of these I'm crazy passionate about and none of these I'm crazy against.

I think Mad Max is my pick.

I know nothing about Godzilla even if the land ideas we have sound cool. And Adventure Time just doesn't grab me as much despite being the most familiar with that one. Mad Max feels like a good balance between different things and gives us a good chance to create a land that could stand on its own apart from the IP.
I agree with Mad Max being the best pick, though I'm not terribly passionate about it either. I don't think it's good that none of us are terribly passionate about the properties, but unfortunately we have to keep moving. I'm sure that we can still knock it out of the park.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I agree with Mad Max being the best pick, though I'm not terribly passionate about it either. I don't think it's good that none of us are terribly passionate about the properties, but unfortunately we have to keep moving. I'm sure that we can still knock it out of the park.
We could always pull an audible and go all in on Cats as a goofy, tongue in cheek project.

Other than that, Mad Max seems the way to go

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom