SYWTBAI Season 18 - Round One: Team Old School Brainstorm Thread

JokersWild

Another one that could be fun (and sort of sneaky IP wise): Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

View attachment 472331

Gen X remembers her from the computer game.
Gen Y remembers her from the game show.
Gen Z/ Gen Alpha (hate that name) remembers her from her new Netflix show.

While it is a "kids" IP, everyone knows of it
Is it deep enough to warrant a whole land? I'm not against it, I just don't know much of the reboot.

AceAstro

Is it deep enough to warrant a whole land? I'm not against it, I just don't know much of the reboot.
That I don’t know. I could see an interactive aspect through the whole land (like the Perry the Platypus thing in World Showcase), some form of character stunt show, and maybe a dark ride?

I didn’t have a ton of ideas for it, just a more outside of the box IP

JokersWild

That I don’t know. I could see an interactive aspect through the whole land (like the Perry the Platypus thing in World Showcase), some form of character stunt show, and maybe a dark ride?

I didn’t have a ton of ideas for it, just a more outside of the box IP
I get you. It's definitely original, but I'm not sure that it could realistically support a full land. I'd be into it if we could crossover IPs, but the land has to be themed around a single IP.

What about Adventure Time? It could work in the same way that Avatar could - it has broad appeal in a way that wouldn't make it redundant next to HTTYD, and and would absolutely lend itself to a land.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Sorry I am late but I am disappointed nobody said the obvious winner:

View attachment 472329

As baffling and dumb that movie was, that could be a fun one

Another one that could be fun (and sort of sneaky IP wise): Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

View attachment 472331

Gen X remembers her from the computer game.
Gen Y remembers her from the game show.
Gen Z/ Gen Alpha (hate that name) remembers her from her new Netflix show.

While it is a "kids" IP, everyone knows of it

I think that has the same issue as James Bond and Mission Impossible where it would lend itself better to a single attraction than a whole land, but I do love that IP.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I get you. It's definitely original, but I'm not sure that it could realistically support a full land. I'd be into it if we could crossover IPs, but the land has to be themed around a single IP.

What about Adventure Time? It could work in the same way that Avatar could - it has broad appeal in a way that wouldn't make it redundant next to HTTYD, and and would absolutely lend itself to a land.
Adventure Time is an intriguing idea. Like you said, broad appeal. Plus it is about to come back as a main part of HBO Max.

I know it might be somewhat similar to How to train your dragon, but what about Shrek? It has quite the expansive universe, and relates to the 'epic' heroism theme of the park.
I still am of the opinion that we should stay away from more Dreamworks, but Shrek does have a great universe

AceAstro

As baffling and dumb that movie was, that could be a fun one
All I am saying is a train simulator like the Hogwarts Express, a stage show for the Jellicle Ball, a dining area to represent Bustopher Jones (even a magic show by Mr. Mistoffelees?) and then some sort of dark ride (the heavyside layer?).

It's the perfect land. Plus then we can have a nice London set piece ;)

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, so here are the main ideas we have so far. At least the ones I think have the most potential for what we are trying to do. Plus some of the pros and cons I see with each.

• Mad Max
    • Pros: Really unique and high energy IP that could lend itself to some really exciting attractions
    • Cons: Might be difficult to translate to an immersive land given how unique the world is. How do we do restaurants and water fountains in a world like this?
  • Blade Runner
    • Pros: Really cool cyberpunk setting. Would be a great balance to the rest of the lands with its sci-fi setting.
    • Cons: Might not lend itself well to attractions. The other team might be working on it.
  • Star Trek
    • Pros: Sci-fi setting. A legendary franchise that has been around for decades. Plenty of sources to pull from
    • Cons: A tricky fan base to work with. Would be tough to find a single "land" or even timeline to work with.
    • Pros: Newfound burst of popularity (Top TV show on Netflix right now). Broad all ages appeal similar to Harry Potter. Plenty of things to take inspiration from.
    • Cons: Potentially tough to condense such an expansive property into one land. Might be too similar of a "fantasy adventure" setting to HTTYD. Not everyone on the team is super familiar with it.
  • Final Fantasy
    • Pros: Countless world we could draw from, iconic characters and locations. Unique vehicles that lend themselves to different kinds of rides are built into the DNA of this property. FF7 Remake outsold Animal Crossing in April (partially thanks to expensive collector's editions, but still), so it is well known. Could have an interesting cyberpunk-esque setting if we use Midgar
    • Cons: Square works with Disney a lot between Kingdom Hearts and the upcoming Avengers game. Would they jumpship to Universal when Kingdom Hearts is such a cash cow? Plus, the Final Fantasy lore tends to be tough to get into for newcomers given how dense and complex it can be.
  • Spongebob
    • Pros: Has been around forever practically, a cultural icon. Bikini Bottom is just begging to be explored and would make an incredible theme park land.
    • Cons: There are already 2 "kid" lands in Epic Universe. Spongebob might not have the broad appeal factor we are looking for as a Harry Potter replacement.
  • Bioshock
    • Pros: Really interesting and unique world with great environments that would lend itself really well to a fully explorable, immersive theme park land.
    • Cons: We already have a "horror" land even if this one would be unique. Perhaps too niche of an IP. Not sure if enough of the team is familiar with this IP.
  • Ghostbusters
    • Pros: Iconic franchise that would lend itself really well to interesting attractions.
    • Cons: Could this be too limiting for a whole land? While this is more comedic, it still uses horror theming.
  • Rick & Morty
    • Pros: Sci-Fi would be an interesting balance to the other lands. Lots of chances for immersive food and merch options. Could be a really fun and lighthearted land with an IP that is huge right now.
    • Cons: How well would the show's very non-kid friendly and very improvisational humor translate to a theme park? Not many iconic locations we could translate.
  • Cats
    • Pros: Really unique and distinct world, fun to work on, could be a great tongue in cheek project. Could legitimately lead to a cool land.
    • Cons: It's Cats (2019).
  • Godzilla
    • Pros: Godzilla is super cool and giant monsters will always be popular.
    • Cons: I feel like this lends itself better to an attraction than a land. What would the actual land be? Just a half ruined city?
  • Adventure Time
    • Pros: Cross generational appeal. About to be relaunched on HBO Max proving the viability of the IP. A great, colorful world that could lead to some high energy attraction.
    • Cons: The world is so built on tropes from video games and the fantasy genre, might be tough to make it a cohesive land that feels unique. Is enough of the team familiar with it.
Of these, my top 3 are:
  • Rick & Morty
  • Ghostbusters
Though I gotta give Cats a shout out just because of how fun and weird that could be. Like the poop themed restroom from Sorcerer's Apprentice 5.

AceAstro

What would the actual land be? Just a half ruined city?
1590422696136.png

He's always watching, ready to strike

tcool123

I think Mad Max would be fun and the desolate wasteland atmosphere is something unique that hasn't really been done in theme parks. Thus making it a good counterfoil to the European Dragons and Monsters, and cartoonish Nintendo.

Maybe Godzilla could work if we take inspiration from the film Kong: Skull Island? Make it a lost jungle of giant monsters? With a run down WW2 military base housing a “research facility”, restaurant and a gift shop?

tcool123

I’d like to throw in the Kingdom Hearts won’t have an affect with Square Enix and Universal.

Disney released their Tsum Tsum switch after Nintendo announced their partnership with Universal.

Harry Potter still playef on ABC Family after Hogsmede was built, and for a while Harry Potter music played in DHS.

Universal’s Despicable Me has played on ABC and Disney Channel

Thus showing Disney can play nice even when theme parks collide.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Maybe Godzilla could work if we take inspiration from the film Kong: Skull Island? Make it a lost jungle of giant monsters? With a run down WW2 military base housing a “research facility”, restaurant and a gift shop?

If we did go that route, we could theme the island to a Bikini Atol style nuclear testing site. Which would be what draws Godzilla and the other monsters! (I'm far from an expert in Godzilla, so I dont know if there is an actual Skull Island style setting). River rapids ride through the jungle

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I'm honestly happy with any of the ideas we've discussed. I'm the least interested in Bioshock and Star Trek since I know the least about them. And Spongebob doesn't feel like the best fit to me.

But I really feel we can't go wrong with any of these.

Basketbuddy101

View attachment 472573
View attachment 472574
View attachment 472575View attachment 472576

E-Ticket Godzilla Encounter ride

D-Ticket River Rapids through caves full of monster eggs and a jungle with untold threats

Ropes Course/Play area themed to a MONARCH Training Facility

There's some definite potential here.
I'm sold, personally. Definitely worthy of the 'Epic' tag, recognizable, multicultural appeal, and lends itself rather well to attractions, provided we make them unique enough to stand out against the Reign of Kongs and JP River Adventures of the world.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I'm sold, personally. Definitely worthy of the 'Epic' tag, recognizable, multicultural appeal, and lends itself rather well to attractions, provided we make them unique enough to stand out against the Reign of Kongs and JP River Adventures of the world.
There's some definite concern about similarities between Pandora, Kong, and Jurassic Park and even other Monsters in the same park. But I do like these ideas. And we could make something really cool with this!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom