SYWTBAI Season 18 - Round One: Team Old School Brainstorm Thread

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I think most of us know each other, but I'm still gonna introduce myself.

I'm Pi on my Cake. People call me Pi usually.

I tend to be good at trying different stuff. I'm kind of a Jack of All, Master of None kind of person. I can do just about anything we need, but there isn't any specific area I feel I shine. In real life I studied engineering and one of my big focuses was on project development and problem solving. So, I like to think I'm good at seeing flaws in concepts and trying to improve them.

I love the "little things" and adding fun details to projects. Like merch or ads and things like that.

I'm excited to get into imagineering and working with you guys!

Basketbuddy101

I think most of us know each other, but I'm still gonna introduce myself.

I'm Pi on my Cake. People call me Pi usually.

I tend to be good at trying different stuff. I'm kind of a Jack of All, Master of None kind of person. I can do just about anything we need, but there isn't any specific area I feel I shine. In real life I studied engineering and one of my big focuses was on project development and problem solving. So, I like to think I'm good at seeing flaws in concepts and trying to improve them.

I love the "little things" and adding fun details to projects. Like merch or ads and things like that.

I'm excited to get into imagineering and working with you guys!

Hey Pi! You've been pretty consistent in the last few challenges, and I respect that! Sorry for being late to the party. Woke up a little on the later side haha. I'll admit that I don't have too much knowledge on the aforementioned IPs, with the exception of maybe Back to the Future. Funnily enough, I've always loved the idea of a full-fledged land dedicated to Hill Valley. The problem is that Universal would likely never opt for it today, and it doesn't really fit the whole 'Epic' factor either. While we brainstorm, I'd like to lay out my own skills and how they may be used to help the team moving forward. While I do pride myself in my ability to tell decent stories with detail, you guys might've noticed that I love to present concepts in a photorealistic manner. Like Pi, I also consider myself a 'Jack of All Trades,' so whatever task is called for, I'll be up for it. Now then, IPs, IPs...we could potentially have Universal say 'Yeah, we screwed up on that 'Supercharged' Fast and the Furious ride and have them start from scratch and put it in Epic Universe as a fully-realized land, maybe with a Tokyo section (I love me some Tokyo Drift). We give Disney our answer to Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers with a slot car ride of our own as the anchor E-Ticket. Just a thought.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Hey Pi! You've been pretty consistent in the last few challenges, and I respect that! Sorry for being late to the party. Woke up a little on the later side haha. I'll admit that I don't have too much knowledge on the aforementioned IPs, with the exception of maybe Back to the Future. Funnily enough, I've always loved the idea of a full-fledged land dedicated to Hill Valley. The problem is that Universal would likely never opt for it today, and it doesn't really fit the whole 'Epic' factor either. While we brainstorm, I'd like to lay out my own skills and how they may be used to help the team moving forward. While I do pride myself in my ability to tell decent stories with detail, you guys might've noticed that I love to present concepts in a photorealistic manner. Like Pi, I also consider myself a 'Jack of All Trades,' so whatever task is called for, I'll be up for it. Now then, IPs, IPs...we could potentially have Universal say 'Yeah, we screwed up on that 'Supercharged' Fast and the Furious ride and have them start from scratch and put it in Epic Universe as a fully-realized land, maybe with a Tokyo section (I love me some Tokyo Drift). We give Disney our answer to Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers with a slot car ride of our own as the anchor E-Ticket. Just a thought.
A fast and the Furious land could have a lot of potential for some great kinetic energy. A street racing themed dueling coaster, a Slot Car E-Ticket themed to the more heist/spy angle of later movies, a Autopia type go kart ride.. All weaving around each other and the land. Track going above and below and beside the path ways. Everything really connected in a land that just screams fast paced action and excitement.

There could be really interesting merch opportunities like custom cars from Dom's shop where people can design their own hot wheel type cars. The Lego store at Disney Springs has race tracks out front where people can build their own cars and then race them, we could have stuff like that set up too. A Dance party that gets more adult focused as the day goes on. Starting out like Move it Shake it, then becoming ElecTRONica, then becoming City Walk as we near park close.

I'm honestly not sure if Fast and the Furious is the best option, but since you mentioned it my head has been spinning with the potential of it.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Another few ideas I'll throw out there:

Jumanji. A big adventureland through jungle settings and crowded markets. Very tongue in cheek and comedic with a lot of video game references mixed it.

The Matrix. A new movie is on the way and the land could have a really cool 2 sided gimmick where it starts like a city front and then you turn a corner and suddenly you are in the real world. Half and Half. Maybe some ARG that starts in the real world that involves looking for optical illusions set up in the Matrix. Like a mix between Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom and the Gardens of Wonder from Hong Kong Disneyland. Hunting for glitches in the Matrix.

HK-DL-Garden-Wonders.jpg

Good Place could be an interesting oddball Tv pick. But as interesting as that world is, it isn't really epic.

JokersWild

Guys, I beg that we don't do Fast and the Furious. It is the most milquetoast, uninspired IP that we could choose, and I think that the attraction in USO proves that.

That being said, I think that Avatar is a great choice, though I admittedly don't know a ton about it.

Matrix could be a great choice, especially with the new movie coming out.

One thing that I was kind of toying with was Bioshock. It could make a really incredible indoor complex, and it lends itself to a theme park. Perhaps it could work as a response to the family-friendly nature of Super Nintendo World.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Another idea that would be probably terrible of a world that could be interesting to explore and full of possibilities...

1590359499177.png

I turned myself into a Theme Park Land at the Universal Orlando Resort, Morty! Boom! Big reveal: I'm a Theme Park Land at the Universal Orlando Resort. What do you think about that? I turned myself into a Theme Park Land at the Universal Orlando Resort! W-what are you just staring at me for, bro. I turned myself into a Theme Park Land at the Universal Orlando Resort, Morty!

A Rick & Morty land would definitely be unconventional, but it could be a really unique and interesting idea leading to some really fun concepts. While the show is certainly not the most kid friendly, it could easily be made more appropriate without losing its charm. Interdimensional Cable basically got its start as the commercials in Gravity Falls. And Blendin/Lemongrab proved Morty and Justin's improv style can work in family friendly settings. A lot of options for immersive or unique merch and food and stores. A simulator with randomized sequences could work great. A dark ride through the Citadel of Ricks (With the bonus cost saving measure of only having to make two molds for animatronics, Rick and Morty, since everyone on the Citadel is either Rick or Morty.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Guys, I beg that we don't do Fast and the Furious. It is the most milquetoast, uninspired IP that we could choose, and I think that the attraction in USO proves that.

That being said, I think that Avatar is a great choice, though I admittedly don't know a ton about it.

Matrix could be a great choice, especially with the new movie coming out.

One thing that I was kind of toying with was Bioshock. It could make a really incredible indoor complex, and it lends itself to a theme park. Perhaps it could work as a response to the family-friendly nature of Super Nintendo World.
I admit to not knowing much about Bioshock, but from what I've seen it has cool visuals. What kind of rides/attractions could it have?

JokersWild

I admit to not knowing much about Bioshock, but from what I've seen it has cool visuals. What kind of rides/attractions could it have?
.Bathysphere simulator to take guests to the land
.Trackless dark ride through the scarier parts of Rapture.
.Maybe a flatride or two (drop tower?)
.Bioshock 2 literally has a theme park in it.

Were we to go with Bioshock, I'd set it in 1958, just before the Rapture Civil War. Here, we have crazy Andrew Ryan, slight decay, splicers, and guests would still realistically be walking around freely.

That being said, I also think that Rick and Morty would be amazing, though I worry how the humor would translate.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
.Bathysphere simulator to take guests to the land
.Trackless dark ride through the scarier parts of Rapture.
.Maybe a flatride or two (drop tower?)
.Bioshock 2 literally has a theme park in it.

Were we to go with Bioshock, I'd set it in 1958, just before the Rapture Civil War. Here, we have crazy Andrew Ryan, slight decay, splicers, and guests would still realistically be walking around freely.

That being said, I also think that Rick and Morty would be amazing, though I worry how the humor would translate.
My only concern with Bioshock is having two horror lands. But the tone would definitely be pretty unique from how I'm picturing the Uni Monsters Land being.

JokersWild

My only concern with Bioshock is having two horror lands. But the tone would definitely be pretty unique from how I'm picturing the Uni Monsters Land being.
I agree, but I think that we could easily differentiate. I mean, if we don't want another horror property, I know that you said that you liked Portal. That could work super well, but I'm not sure how attractions would work.

Brer Panther

Oh, jeez, sorry it took so long for me to pop in! I haven't checked WDWMagic all day...

Anyhow, I admittedly don't have much of an opinion on the ideas suggested yet since I'm not super-familiar with any of these franchises... maybe we could do something DreamWorks-related? Kung Fu Panda or something like that? Or would that be redundant since the park's already got How to Train Your Dragon? A SpongeBob-themed land could be fun...

JokersWild

Oh, jeez, sorry it took so long for me to pop in! I haven't checked WDWMagic all day...

Anyhow, I admittedly don't have much of an opinion on the ideas suggested yet since I'm not super-familiar with any of these franchises... maybe we could do something DreamWorks-related? Kung Fu Panda or something like that? Or would that be redundant since the park's already got How to Train Your Dragon? A SpongeBob-themed land could be fun...
Yeah I’d rather stay away from Dreamworks because of HtTYD being right next door. Sponge bob could be cool, but I know that the other team’s been talking about it.

I was doing a bit of research and we’ve missed one company that Universal has collaborated with in the past: Columbia. There are three main properties that Columbia either produces or distributes that I think could work well:

.Ghostbusters - NYC- themed land with a Ghostbusters attraction centerpiece.
.James Bond - produced by MGM, but distributed by Columbia. May not be viable.
.Hellboy - great world. Great characters. Could lend itself well to a theme park.

Aside from that, I randomly thought of Final Fantasy. If we set a land in Midgar, it could make for a cool sci-fi setting, though I’m not sure how broad the property’s appeal is.

I’ll keep looking. I still want to look into Netflix.

Basketbuddy101

Would adore a Spongebob themed land. Only issue would be that it's not very epic on its own. Still, there are some ways around it i.e. Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy themed E-Ticket. Don't @ me, but I've never seen an episode of Rick and Morty in my life. I casually watched Avatar in middle school but don't know much about it either beyond the basic premise.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

I worry that Spongebob might be slightly too much of a "kid" property when we already have Mario and HTTYD. Not that Avatar or Harry Potter are super adult, but I know a lot more adults watching and being fans of those than Spongebob outside of memes and nostalgia.

Yeah I’d rather stay away from Dreamworks because of HtTYD being right next door. Sponge bob could be cool, but I know that the other team’s been talking about it.

I was doing a bit of research and we’ve missed one company that Universal has collaborated with in the past: Columbia. There are three main properties that Columbia either produces or distributes that I think could work well:

.Ghostbusters - NYC- themed land with a Ghostbusters attraction centerpiece.
.James Bond - produced by MGM, but distributed by Columbia. May not be viable.
.Hellboy - great world. Great characters. Could lend itself well to a theme park.

Aside from that, I randomly thought of Final Fantasy. If we set a land in Midgar, it could make for a cool sci-fi setting, though I’m not sure how broad the property’s appeal is.

I’ll keep looking. I still want to look into Netflix.
I agree no more Dreamworks.

Ghostbusters would be cool, I had though about that but wasn;t sure how well it would translate to a whole land instead of just a ride. James Bond or Mission Impossible could both be interesting lands, but possibly tough to do a whole land with it. Hellboy I don't know much about, but didn't all of those movies flop?

Midgar would be awesome! I almost suggested that too, but with Kingdom Hearts, I worry they might be too close with Disney. Idk. It would be an amazing theme park land though! So many great oppurtunities for that world.

Netflix something seems to be calling me too, but I just can't quite think about what exactly it would be. Series of Unfortunate Events could be really interesting. We could go real weird and do a whole Bojack land. idk.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Would adore a Spongebob themed land. Only issue would be that it's not very epic on its own. Still, there are some ways around it i.e. Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy themed E-Ticket. Don't @ me, but I've never seen an episode of Rick and Morty in my life. I casually watched Avatar in middle school but don't know much about it either beyond the basic premise.
Rick and Morty is an odd show. It has some truly amazing episodes with a lot of heart and intrigue and humor and then it has episodes that are just dumb. But when it is good it is great!.

Spongebob would be a great land. My only concern is balance with two other "kid" properties already in the park.

JokersWild

I worry that Spongebob might be slightly too much of a "kid" property when we already have Mario and HTTYD. Not that Avatar or Harry Potter are super adult, but I know a lot more adults watching and being fans of those than Spongebob outside of memes and nostalgia.

I agree no more Dreamworks.

Ghostbusters would be cool, I had though about that but wasn;t sure how well it would translate to a whole land instead of just a ride. James Bond or Mission Impossible could both be interesting lands, but possibly tough to do a whole land with it. Hellboy I don't know much about, but didn't all of those movies flop?

Midgar would be awesome! I almost suggested that too, but with Kingdom Hearts, I worry they might be too close with Disney. Idk. It would be an amazing theme park land though! So many great oppurtunities for that world.

Netflix something seems to be calling me too, but I just can't quite think about what exactly it would be. Series of Unfortunate Events could be really interesting. We could go real weird and do a whole Bojack land. idk.
I don’t know if they flopped, but they’re well regarded at least haha.

if we could cross over with other properties I’d think that Ghostbusters would work really well, but all of the crossovers the Ghostbusters had were technicalities, so I don’t think that it’d be allowed.

I was thinking about Series of Unfortunate events as well, but I worry that the setting are too varied to make a cohesive land.

AceAstro

Sorry I am late but I am disappointed nobody said the obvious winner:

1590388109799.png

For real though, I think there are some great choices. It's a shame there is already HTTYD as I think something like Trolls would make an amazing land.

What about Jurassic World? The re-theme hasn't happened in IoA and while they are getting a new coaster, we don't know the details and can "imagineer" the details that it is about the original Velociraptors.

Something about walking through that archway...

1590388296617.png

Of previous ideas mentioned, I like Godzilla. Had a movie last year and is coming back again with King Kong vs. Godzilla this year so is a well-known IP. Blade Runner would have some stunning visuals but attractions-wise, nothing stands out to me. Star Trek would be another cool one. The big issue with that to me is Star Trek fans. While not as bad as Star Wars fans *ducks*, you fall into that whole which timeline do you pick as there will be unhappy fans regardless. Do you go off the original? 2009 reboot? Neither?

AceAstro

Another one that could be fun (and sort of sneaky IP wise): Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

1590389247738.png

Gen X remembers her from the computer game.
Gen Y remembers her from the game show.
Gen Z/ Gen Alpha (hate that name) remembers her from her new Netflix show.

While it is a "kids" IP, everyone knows of it

JokersWild

Sorry I am late but I am disappointed nobody said the obvious winner:

View attachment 472329

For real though, I think there are some great choices. It's a shame there is already HTTYD as I think something like Trolls would make an amazing land.

What about Jurassic World? The re-theme hasn't happened in IoA and while they are getting a new coaster, we don't know the details and can "imagineer" the details that it is about the original Velociraptors.

Something about walking through that archway...

View attachment 472330

Of previous ideas mentioned, I like Godzilla. Had a movie last year and is coming back again with King Kong vs. Godzilla this year so is a well-known IP. Blade Runner would have some stunning visuals but attractions-wise, nothing stands out to me. Star Trek would be another cool one. The big issue with that to me is Star Trek fans. While not as bad as Star Wars fans *ducks*, you fall into that whole which timeline do you pick as there will be unhappy fans regardless. Do you go off the original? 2009 reboot? Neither?
I'm really not feeling Jurassic World. It's just way too close to Jurassic Park. I really liked Blade Runner as well, but the other team seems to be going that route, so I'm not sure that we should.

I think that Star Trek could be cool. I'd base it on The Next Generation personally, but I dunno. There's a lot of ways that it could go.

Shortlist of properties we've discussed. I think that they could all work, but I've bolded my three main choices just to start paring down.

.Mad Max
.Blade Runner
.Star Trek
.Avatar
.Final Fantasy
.Spongebob
.Bioshock
.Ghostbusters (I'm conflicted....)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom