SYWTBAI Season 18 - Round One: Team Old School Brainstorm Thread

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
epic-universe-concept-art-withlogo-1582670170.png

For this project, teams are tasked with taking a second look at the plot of land set aside for Fantastic Beasts in Universal's Epic Universe. Fact of the matter is, Fantastic Beasts just isn't the tentpole IP we all thought it would be. For this challenge you must come up with another IP to fit into the Fantastic Beasts plot, one that would fit in with the other IPs of the park such as Nintendo, Monsters, and How to Train Your Dragon.

For this project you will be split into two teams, Team Old School and Team Next Gen. Teams are split up based on level of experience they have with the game and the Imagineering forum in general. These will then be split into three teams of six for the rounds going forward.​

JokersWild

Ooh we're really going oldschool with bringing back the public team threads.

I'm going to bed soon, but I'll be on for a little bit if any of you guys are up. Just figured I'd shoot a few ideas out to help jumpstart things.

First and foremost, I can't think of a single property that Universal owns that isn't already represented somewhere on property and could feasibly have a land. The only property I could maybe see is Back to the Future. With that, I've started looking at some Warner Brothers/ Legendary properties. Here's a shortlist of properties that I thought could be interesting.

.Blade Runner
.Godzilla (Universal has used the Toho version at USJ, but I'm thinking of the recent Legendary versions.)
.DC (huge stretch, but it's WB....)
.Mad Max

Out of those, I'm most interested in Blade Runner or Mad Max. Blade Runner could be a really amazing setting, though I'm not sure how attractions could work, and Mad Max could have really great experiences, but conveying the setting would be weird in such a narrow space. Sidenote, as I know it's going to come up - I really think that we should stay away from Lord of the Rings. It's been done before, and done extremely well, and I worry we'd be retreading ground.

Outside of movies, Star Trek could be an interesting idea. It's owned by CBS, but they've sold the rights before.

Outside of film/ television I can't think of anything offhand. IoA is the literature park, and videogames are on the other side of the park. I'll try to think of things at work tomorrow.

I'm very excited to work with all of you, some for the first time. Let's knock this out of the park.

Last edited:

tcool123

Admittedly Universals pool of in house IP isnt the strongest and fore the most part has been used up throughout the three parks.

So I agree with the idea of looking outside the Universal IP bubble for ideas.

@JokersWild I actually thought about Mad Max as well as a possible contender. It’s a classic and recognizable franchise. Admittedly I don’t know much about it, but I think a stunt show set inside a Thunderdome inspired arena and a test track style racing attraction could be fun

In addition of Wizard of Oz land could be fun albeit it may be too safe but could be another iconic land that has yet to be represented. It has been done as much as Lord if the Rings but could still be a fun concept.

JokersWild

Admittedly Universals pool of in house IP isnt the strongest and fore the most part has been used up throughout the three parks.

So I agree with the idea of looking outside the Universal IP bubble for ideas.

@JokersWild I actually thought about Mad Max as well as a possible contender. It’s a classic and recognizable franchise. Admittedly I don’t know much about it, but I think a stunt show set inside a Thunderdome inspired arena and a test track style racing attraction could be fun

In addition of Wizard of Oz land could be fun albeit it may be too safe but could be another iconic land that has yet to be represented. It has been done as much as Lord if the Rings but could still be a fun concept.
Wizard of Oz could be interesting, but I agree that it's overdone. It's also owned by MGM, which may be an issue.

The only real issue I see with Mad Max is dining. Restaurants are kind of contradictory to the world of Mad Max, haha.

Sci-fi would probably be the best way to go. We already have horror, fantasy, and family represented, so I think that sci-fi would be a natural theme to round out the park. In terms of "sci-fi" properties that I think could work:

.Mad Max
.Blade Runner
.Star Trek
.Planet of the Apes
.Back to the Future

We could even have a generic land with a bunch of different properties. A sort of "Tomorrow-land" if you will. I dunno. I'm kinda drawing a blank here. Universal is pretty well-rounded in terms of what medium their sourcing their properties from so I'm kind of stumped trying to avoid redundancies. Maybe an adult video game franchise? Fallout? Bioshock? Portal. I dunno.

tcool123

Wizard of Oz could be interesting, but I agree that it's overdone. It's also owned by MGM, which may be an issue.
Ah my apologies thought Warner Brothers had acquired the rights based on the HBO Max commercials.

The only real issue I see with Mad Max is dining. Restaurants are kind of contradictory to the world of Mad Max, haha.
That is a possible snag, but we could find a work around if we go with Mad Max.

Sci-fi would probably be the best way to go. We already have horror, fantasy, and family represented, so I think that sci-fi would be a natural theme to round out the park. In terms of "sci-fi" properties that I think could work:

.Mad Max
.Blade Runner
.Star Trek
.Planet of the Apes
.Back to the Future
Planet of the Apes is a no go as it is now a Disney property. Star Trek has a large following so it could be a good bet.

In addition how about Ready Player One? We could make it an indoor land and theres many possibilities for attractions, stores, and restaurants from the film.

We could even have a generic land with a bunch of different properties. A sort of "Tomorrow-land" if you will.
We would have to get it cleared by the judges as I believe they want just a one IP land but a post apocalypse/ futuristic city land would offer for plenty of cool designs.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

.Mad Max
.Blade Runner
.Star Trek
.Planet of the Apes
.Back to the Future

We could even have a generic land with a bunch of different properties. A sort of "Tomorrow-land" if you will. I dunno. I'm kinda drawing a blank here. Universal is pretty well-rounded in terms of what medium their sourcing their properties from so I'm kind of stumped trying to avoid redundancies. Maybe an adult video game franchise? Fallout? Bioshock? Portal. I dunno.
A Cyberpunk City could be pretty incredible. And I agree that Sci-Fi is the way to go I think.

Blade Runner E-Ticket (Maybe Flight of Passage style simulator flying through the city chasing after a rogue replicant?)

I could see Portal being a good fit for a show or a fun C-Ticket. Think Cat in the Hat with more spinning and a higher speed. A "grown up" dark ride.

Of course, this is all based on it being a general land instead of tied to one specific IP.

If it needs to be one specific IP, I'm not sure Blade Runner or any of those fits the requirement of a broad all ages adventure franchise like Harry Potter.

Maybe Avatar! It is currently the number one tv show on Netflix and has had a loyal fanbase for years spanning several age groups. The new Netflix series is expected to be a big deal. And Universal has good relationships with both Netflix and Nick.

Stranger Things might be too similar to the monsters land.

Maybe Netflix itself could be the IP? A city setting with a Stranger Things dark ride, a Kimmy Schmidt show, Series of Unfortunate Events ride (drop tower based on Ersatz Elevator or Penultimate Peril?). Bojack Horseman diner. Locke and Key or Lost in Space stuff. Fuller House walk through. I don't know, this might be tough to make feel cohesive and Netflix might not have enough fully original stuff to be worth it.

TheOriginalTiki

A Cyberpunk City could be pretty incredible. And I agree that Sci-Fi is the way to go I think.

Blade Runner E-Ticket (Maybe Flight of Passage style simulator flying through the city chasing after a rogue replicant?)

I could see Portal being a good fit for a show or a fun C-Ticket. Think Cat in the Hat with more spinning and a higher speed. A "grown up" dark ride.

Of course, this is all based on it being a general land instead of tied to one specific IP.

If it needs to be one specific IP, I'm not sure Blade Runner or any of those fits the requirement of a broad all ages adventure franchise like Harry Potter.

Maybe Avatar! It is currently the number one tv show on Netflix and has had a loyal fanbase for years spanning several age groups. The new Netflix series is expected to be a big deal. And Universal has good relationships with both Netflix and Nick.

Stranger Things might be too similar to the monsters land.

Maybe Netflix itself could be the IP? A city setting with a Stranger Things dark ride, a Kimmy Schmidt show, Series of Unfortunate Events ride (drop tower based on Ersatz Elevator or Penultimate Peril?). Bojack Horseman diner. Locke and Key or Lost in Space stuff. Fuller House walk through. I don't know, this might be tough to make feel cohesive and Netflix might not have enough fully original stuff to be worth it.

Singular IP, Pi ;)

TheOriginalTiki

Disney treats Pixar as an IP! lol jk jk. I was writing that when you responded, so I hadn't seen what you said yet haha

I realize it's a bit tricky since "Nintendo" and "Monsters" are IP, so let's just tow the line at crossover. Since the monsters have crossed over with each other and Smash Brothers exists, I think it's fair to say that they both exist with in same cinematic universe. That should basically be the guideline. For example, I know this point is moot now since it's a Fox property but say you designed an Alien land and had an Alien vs. Predator E Ticket. Freddy vs. Jason is another acceptable example. The IPs in the land should have at least crossed over in other forms of media with each other.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Avatar: The Last Airbender is my main pitch. Big, expansive world. Rich mythology. A fun atmosphere. Broad appeal.

Mad Max would be cool, but there would be some issues with immersion considering how... unique... that world can be. I've only seen Fury Road, but I could see it leading to some cool rides and unique environments.

Blade Runner would lend itself really well to a theme park environment, but the IP doesn't have much broad or family appeal. As much as people like to use Pandora as an example that a cool environment is more important than a relevant IP, Avatar was still the highest box office ever whereas Blade Runner has bombed at the box office both originally and with the sequel.

Star Trek could be cool. Stranger Things could be cool. Godzilla could be cool. I just don't have too much to say on these.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom