SYWTBAI Season 18 - Round One: Team Next Gen Brainstorming Thread

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
epic-universe-concept-art-withlogo-1582670170.png

For this project, teams are tasked with taking a second look at the plot of land set aside for Fantastic Beasts in Universal's Epic Universe. Fact of the matter is, Fantastic Beasts just isn't the tentpole IP we all thought it would be. For this challenge you must come up with another IP to fit into the Fantastic Beasts plot, one that would fit in with the other IPs of the park such as Nintendo, Monsters, and How to Train Your Dragon.

For this project you will be split into two teams, Team Old School and Team Next Gen. Teams are split up based on level of experience they have with the game and the Imagineering forum in general. These will then be split into three teams of six for the rounds going forward.

DashHaber

Well, if I can start us off, I do have a thought for something: what about anime?

Universal has used a variety of different media as inspiration for their theme park attractions and areas. Movies, TV show, comic books, and literature, for instance. They'll be dipping their toes into the world of video games soon with the Nintendo section of Epic Universe, as well. However, one medium that hasn't been really tapped into much is anime.

There's plenty of good material to work from there. So many fun and memorable characters and worlds, and the medium's popularity has been growing more and more. Not only that, Universal has had a little experience with anime. Over at Universal Studios Japan, they've been featuring an event called Cool Japan, where they set up some temporary attractions inspired by video games and anime. Just imagine what they could do if they built something a bit more permanent and major.

For the sake of narrowing down the options, I'd say to make an anime-based theme park section devoted to the work of Shonen Jump. That's a manga magazine that has been the source of plenty of popular manga and anime, such as Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, and My Hero Academia.

NigelChanning

If we were to utilize more of Universal’s animated properties, might I suggest Bikini Bottom from Spongebob or Duloc from the first Shrek film? There are many opportunities for Spongebob in the park (providing an immersive kids area) and bringing that huge world to life. Duloc fits into the layout of the area and brings more attention to the movie that made DreamWorks famous. Epic Universe probably isn’t about the amount of rides (the monsters area will only open with 1) but the immersion of the lands and these are awesome places that could be brought to life.

Orange Cat

Well, if I can start us off, I do have a thought for something: what about anime?

Universal has used a variety of different media as inspiration for their theme park attractions and areas. Movies, TV show, comic books, and literature, for instance. They'll be dipping their toes into the world of video games soon with the Nintendo section of Epic Universe, as well. However, one medium that hasn't been really tapped into much is anime.

There's plenty of good material to work from there. So many fun and memorable characters and worlds, and the medium's popularity has been growing more and more. Not only that, Universal has had a little experience with anime. Over at Universal Studios Japan, they've been featuring an event called Cool Japan, where they set up some temporary attractions inspired by video games and anime. Just imagine what they could do if they built something a bit more permanent and major.

For the sake of narrowing down the options, I'd say to make an anime-based theme park section devoted to the work of Shonen Jump. That's a manga magazine that has been the source of plenty of popular manga and anime, such as Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, and My Hero Academia.
It certainly makes sense, but as anime REALLY isn‘t my thing. I’d be pretty useless

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
It certainly makes sense, but as anime REALLY isn‘t my thing. I’d be pretty useless
I agree. I know almost nothing about anime.
I just want to point something out here. If you go with a theme that some of you aren't familiar with, those unfamiliar with the choice are extremely valuable to the creative process because they'll be able to come at it from the same perspective Joe Normal from Topeka, Kansas would have with the theme.
Say you go with this anime theme: after choosing your IPs, those unfamiliar with those IPs can ask the same questions Joe Normal from Topeka, Kansas might have while you're brainstorming and you can insert those answers with the worldbuilding in your land.

My point (because this is a lesson I have learned) is for everyone to be open to ideas in the beginnings of brainstorming and don't count yourself out if you aren't familiar with the concept you end up using.

PerGron

Hey team! I'm really excited to be working with all of you, I've obviously worked with @Outbound a time or two and I'm familiar with @Disneylover152, but other than those guys, I'm new to working with the rest of you, so it's an exciting prospect to be here with so many fresh faces, especially where so many of you have proved yourselves between SAVI and then the weekly challenges in this hype thread.

I just wanted to introduce myself to those of you who may not know me. I'm PerGron, but you can just call me Per if it makes it easier. I'm a zookeeper irl and many of my favorite imagineering projects have to do with animals (be it my Aquarium or the Laboratory Lavoratory back in SA V) but I also really enjoy tackling other topics (though I will shoehorn animals in whenever I can). Some other passions of mine are history, horror, and just film in general, so a lot of those projects are some of my favorites. As I'm sure you can imagine, my favorite Disney park is Animal Kingdom and I've only ever been to the Orlando resorts, but I will get to Disneyland one day.

Well enough about me, let's talk this project.

So admittedly, I think this would be a neat and realistic idea for a theme park. However, unfortunately, I know almost nothing about anime besides Miyazaki's works, so I'd be pretty much useless on this idea. I see two other team members have addressed this as well, so unless we have some real anime fans, it may not be the best option.

If we were to utilize more of Universal’s animated properties, might I suggest Bikini Bottom from Spongebob or Duloc from the first Shrek film? There are many opportunities for Spongebob in the park (providing an immersive kids area) and bringing that huge world to life. Duloc fits into the layout of the area and brings more attention to the movie that made DreamWorks famous. Epic Universe probably isn’t about the amount of rides (the monsters area will only open with 1) but the immersion of the lands and these are awesome places that could be brought to life.

I actually really like the idea of Bikini Bottom as the allure of a real-life Krusty Krab alone is very strong. I feel like Duloc wouldn't really be a great choice as it feels very cold and boring. If we wanted to do Shrek, I may suggest Far Far Away as a potential location. However, I feel two Dreamworks properties in one park may be overdoing it, but I'd love to hear some other thoughts on that.

To throw out a few of my own ideas, Universal's list of IPs isn't the strongest in terms of theme parks. Sure, they have some great movies, but not many that actually translate well into a theme park, and the ones they do have are already present. For this reason, I think we look out of house for some properties while some Uni-owned IP can be considered. Here are some of my ideas.

-Back to the Future (Universal)
-Jaws (Universal)
-Lord of the Rings (Warner Bros.)
-His Dark Materials (Warner Bros.)
-Star Trek (ViacomCBS)

There are tons of other ideas, and honestly, we don't have to pick one on day one, so I'm excited to hear some more from everyone else as we file in. Either way, I'm very excited to get started working on this with y'all!

NigelChanning

I realize now that I got Far Far Away and Duloc mixed up after watching Shrek 2 right now. Duloc must be Farquad’s kingdom then right? I also thought Far Far Away was in the first film. I’m glad that I’m re-watching the Shrek films

goofyyukyuk

Like most of the people who’ve responded so far, I’m also completely unfamiliar with anime. I think a couple of the more appealing IPs that haven’t been used in Universal yet are Lord of the Rings and Star Trek, as suggested by PerGronStudio. I think that Lord of the Rings would fit in very well with Monsters/How to Train Your Dragon, while Star Trek is a loose connection all around. There’d be several different locations to consider for LotR, and the land-building could put it on par with Pandora in AK.

TheOriginalTiki

I realize now that I got Far Far Away and Duloc mixed up after watching Shrek 2 right now. Duloc must be Farquad’s kingdom then right? I also thought Far Far Away was in the first film. I’m glad that I’m re-watching the Shrek films

Because the idea of a Sci-fi land got brought up in the other thread, I just want to state for the record that I'd like you guys to stick to a singular IP for this round as part of the challenge of the prompt. That would include anime. A particular anime is fine, but a more than one IP being represented within the land is pushing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom