Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Original Poster
I've read what feels like a million trip reports but haven't seen anyone talk about the Swiss Family Treehouse or Tom Sawyer Island. Does anyone like/love these two attractions or are they attractions we should skip?

We were planning on exploring Tom Sawyer Island on our upcoming trip (particularly Injun Joe's Cave and the Scavage Fort), but the forum has me wondering if this would be just a complete waste of time. Our daughter will be almost three when we go, if that makes a difference.

Tyaloo

For that age - I would say both are a "must do"! My daughter (now 6) felt all empowered that she climbed to the top of the SFR treehouse!

Tom Sawyer's island is perfect for that age too - the fun raft ride over, exploring the fort and going up in the buildings, crossing the cool barrel bridge (don't know what to call it) and also exploring the awesome caves!

We enjoy those attractions so much that we never skip them.

I can see why a lot of adults pass on them - but for kids - they are amazing!

belledream

We'll always take the hike up to Swiss Fanily Treehouse because if anything, it provides some nice views of MK and it's fun to see the little homely displays. Haven't been to Tom Sawyer in a few years but I would definitely recommend you explore it at least once! It's removed from the park hustle and bustle and feels like you're actually on a little deserted island. Found myself in a cave in the rain...felt very adventurous. :D

JIMINYCR

Just because youve never done them.... you should do them. Just because some posts may be negative on something shouldnt stop you from trying them for yourself and deciding. A lot of people dont like the Treehouse because its a long climb and they dont find the theming interesting. TSI has pathways, the fort & caves but others find it dull because it doesnt have a ride. I personally enjoy both, sure, theyre thrilling but they both are enjoyable enough to walk through and worthy of the time.

Kevin_W

We enjoy the tree house, but have only been to tsi probably twice in many MK days over the past 7 years. I don't dislike it; we just never seem to go over there. This past trip, we HD a good chance to go, but my daughter didn't want to.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wait, what? I thought you read my trip reports. These are 2 of my favorite attractions since childhood!!!! Do not skip them. They're great breaks from the rush, and honestly some pretty great memory making moments. Play tag with your daughter on TSI :)

I must have missed that part!!

21stamps

I must have missed that part!!

View from the treehouse at night -

IMG_9937.JPG

But more than the view, the climb, and looking at all of the "rooms", pretending like you're in a 'real treehouse', have always been why I loved the attraction from the very first time.

People online over exaggerate about the climb. I've never viewed this as even a mildly strenuous exercise.

They're not flashy attractions, I love them because they give us a chance to use our own imagination :) Bonus- no FP required.

Jedi Stitch

TSI was a one timer with my Wife, no stores so no need in her mind. For a kid, it is the best cheap fun in the whole park. it is just a great explore time. SFRTH is great for those that actually have seen the movie. The views are great, the shade is nice, Yes going at night is awesome. I wont confirm or deny that before the DLR tree was changed to the Tarzan tree, at night it was great spot for the PDA when it was not too busy.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
If I'm going to be completely honest... From the age of 10 and under, I found both to be extremely boring. Last year I visited both, I am now 19, and they were both extremely boring. Treehouse was actually more tiresome than boring, but that could have been because it was a last minute decision at the end of a long day.

I have no connection with either of these two attractions outside of them looking pretty neat from a distance in general. That is how I appreciate them. Atmosphere from a distance. But not something I even remotely think about doing when I go to the parks.

GVentola

I had mixed feelings about Cmdr_Crimson saying they should make Aunt Polly's into a bar, but the sentiment behind it I can understand. Tom Sawyer Island is a place where you set your own pace. You can linger as long as you want. Nobody's rushing up behind you, ready to run you over with their strollers. Take your time, and allow the excitement of exploring on your own or with your family overcome you. It really fires up the imagination!

I don't go to Swiss Family Treehouse much, but people are right about it having good views of the castle. It's never been a "strenuous" climb for me, and I'm not in the best shape. As long as stairs aren't a problem for any of your party, it should be okay to go on. Even if it disappoints, it will only take up a few minutes of your time.

Captain Barbossa

I've read what feels like a million trip reports but haven't seen anyone talk about the Swiss Family Treehouse or Tom Sawyer Island. Does anyone like/love these two attractions or are they attractions we should skip?

We were planning on exploring Tom Sawyer Island on our upcoming trip (particularly Injun Joe's Cave and the Scavage Fort), but the forum has me wondering if this would be just a complete waste of time. Our daughter will be almost three when we go, if that makes a difference.
Love them both!! Must do!!

nickys

Premium Member
Definitely do Tom Sawyers Island! So much fun to explore. And I assume they still have the paintbrush hunt? if you find one of Tom Sawyer's paintbrushes laying around the island, you can present it to the ferry captain for a free fast pass for everyone in your party.

I think that's gone now :(

I personally love both attractions. Who would not want to live in a treehouse like that? My family love it, and neither DS has seen the movie. As for TSI, the boys loved it when younger and even as 10 and 13 year olds. We didn't go over on our last trip, but I enjoyed letting them play and being able to sit down after exploring. They should open a cafe though, that would be amazing. I always wondered why there wasn't one when I first went.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom