Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island?

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We absolutely love Tom Sawyer Island. When my daughter was 3-10, it was a welcome break from the chaos of the rest of the park. Exploring caves, pretending to 'shoot' people on Big Thunder Mountain (pew-pew sound effects essential), and finding the paint brushes were a pretty regular morning ritual during those years. Sadly, the paintbrushes are now gone - and we can see why; there were families pushing people out of the way to get to them, even to the point of knocking kids over, the last time we tried to get them. But the rest is still there! For the past few years, our teenage daughter still enjoys the break from the high-speed action. We usually play a game of checkers on the rarely used 2nd dock and check in on the 'critters' in the mill, plus just getting to walk around at a calm pace with no strollers hitting ankles!

Swiss Family Robison Treehouse really depends on the time of year you visit. Mid-summer with crazy heat and huge crowds, it really isn't much of a good time - you don't get much chance to really stop and look at the rooms because even on the less 'thrilling' attractions, there is still a conveyor belt of people. If you are there with the big crowds, early in the morning and late in the evening it is nice and I have gotten quite a few sunrise pictures from the top! Definitely worth doing, but (for us) not in the same league as TSI.

Ghost93

I liked Swiss Family Treehouse because I loved the movie as a kid and thought the treehouse from the movie was so cool. I can't imagine the attraction having as much appeal for someone who hasn't seen the movie.

LaughingGravy

View from the treehouse at night -

View attachment 210422

But more than the view, the climb, and looking at all of the "rooms", pretending like you're in a 'real treehouse', have always been why I loved the attraction from the very first time.

People online over exaggerate about the climb. I've never viewed this as even a mildly strenuous exercise.

They're not flashy attractions, I love them because they give us a chance to use our own imagination :) Bonus- no FP required.
And that is a precious picture! Great smile from a clearly happy kid. Definitely a must do. There's also the fact that it is a walk on most of the time, which is a refreshing change from yet another line.

DfromATX

The tree house gets a lot of hate sometimes and I don't know why. It only takes 15 minutes to walk up and look at it so definitely do it at least once, then you can decide if you like it or not. Several years ago we rented the movie because none of us had seen it and it was actually pretty good! I think it's fun to pretend it's your own tree house, especially for kids. Good old fashioned imagination!

Walt Disney1955

I love them both. I never get why anyone complains about them. Tom Sawyer Island, so long as you get there before dusk, is a mighty fine place to check out. I love the caves and I always go around the exterior. I manage to find the rocking chairs that are close to the water. And we always go to see the fort at the back. Very neat to check out. Gets you away from the crowds as well.

Swiss Family Treehouse is fine as long as you aren't afraid of heights. Just a nice walkthrough. My wife never walks up it for that very reason that she is afraid of heights. But I like it and our kids do as well. Can be a very nice view of the castle when you are up high.

The Empress Lilly

I don't go to Disney for character m&gs, nor Instagram likes opportunities, screens or 1800 calorie snacks.

I go for physical environments that I walk through or get moved around in, little worlds that transport me to places, nay experiences, of charm, wonder, cuteness, mild fright, nostalgia, exploration.

Tom Sawyer and the Treehouse deliver and then some. Classic Disney, classic Americana. They're not a sideshow thar I visit to escape the crowds of the main experience. No. They lie at the heart of my MK experience.

DisneyMusician2

Just because youve never done them.... you should do them. Just because some posts may be negative on something shouldnt stop you from trying them for yourself and deciding. A lot of people dont like the Treehouse because its a long climb and they dont find the theming interesting. TSI has pathways, the fort & caves but others find it dull because it doesnt have a ride. I personally enjoy both, sure, theyre thrilling but they both are enjoyable enough to walk through and worthy of the time.
If people had seen the IP behind both they might feel differently, both are still very cool in my book :)

paul436

I love both of these attractions but I sometimes have trouble convincing the rest of the family to take the time to experience them. But I try every trip!!

jloucks

They're both must do attractions for my family, especially if the rumors of TSI being removed are true. My boys love the caves.

Same with my sister and me. Here is us.... a few decades (40+) time-lapse. =)

IMG_4013S.jpg

Walking the caves brings back a wave of highly concentrated positive childhood memories.

Last edited:

skypilot2922

For that age - I would say both are a "must do"! My daughter (now 6) felt all empowered that she climbed to the top of the SFR treehouse!

Tom Sawyer's island is perfect for that age too - the fun raft ride over, exploring the fort and going up in the buildings, crossing the cool barrel bridge (don't know what to call it) and also exploring the awesome caves!

We enjoy those attractions so much that we never skip them.

I can see why a lot of adults pass on them - but for kids - they are amazing!

Love them especially the barrel bridge!!!, The treehouse has great views of the park if you stop and look around.

skypilot2922

I don't go to Disney for character m&gs, nor Instagram likes opportunities, screens or 1800 calorie snacks.

I go for physical environments that I walk through or get moved around in, little worlds that transport me to places, nay experiences, of charm, wonder, cuteness, mild fright, nostalgia, exploration.

Tom Sawyer and the Treehouse deliver and then some. Classic Disney, classic Americana. They're not a sideshow thar I visit to escape the crowds of the main experience. No. They lie at the heart of my MK experience.

Indeed which is why they were a must do when I used to visit the parks, They were classic Disney because they require the use of imagination to truly enjoy them.

gojoe

Love them both. But I'm old and they have are something I grew up with. I took my granddaughter she loved running around Tom Sayer but had little interest in the tree house. Unless they reboot both I don't see them lasting much longer. If they give us something better than I good with that. I will miss them.

jpinkc

Love them both. But I'm old and they have are something I grew up with. I took my granddaughter she loved running around Tom Sayer but had little interest in the tree house. Unless they reboot both I don't see them lasting much longer. If they give us something better than I good with that. I will miss them.
My fear is we will end up with Mickey Mc Donalds in there place :arghh:

erasure fan1

If they give us something better than I'm good with that. I will miss them.
That has always been my sentiment. If you're going to replace something, make it better than what was there before and I'll be fine. Of course I'm still waiting for that to happen. Lol

J4546

i like both, the tarzan treehouse is a cool walkthrough. I always imagine what if they built an endor themed land with like a dozen tarzan treehouses on steroid with rope bridges between them and making a really massive complex in the air stretched out across the entire land. like a cross between tarzan and camp discovery at shanghai

jpinkc

i like both, the tarzan treehouse is a cool walkthrough. I always imagine what if they built an endor themed land with like a dozen tarzan treehouses on steroid with rope bridges between them and making a really massive complex in the air stretched out across the entire land
I love the idea, but you would never get it past the Insurance Companies, or the Bean counters who run Disney. Yes I know Disney is self insured.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom