Trip Report Sweating at the Swolphin: a 2017 Food and Whine Report

Hello and welcome to another Bee trip report! My DW M and I had the privilege of attending the opening weekend of the 2017 Epcot Food and Wine Festival, and the timing couldn't have been better! We both go "back to school" soon (she's an academic admin at a university and I teach voice and piano at a performing arts school), and last month we found out we have to move from the very affordable apartment we've loved for over three years because someone new bought the building and wants everyone out. We considered cancelling the trip given the moving news but almost everything was paid for already, and we decided in the end that we really needed this escape from reality. We made the right call!

You may know from the PTR to my California trip that this trip was originally scheduled for the end of September and beginning of October to coincide with Epcot's 35th birthday, but a flight change caused us to reschedule. More on that here.

The Plans
Who: M and me
What: A quick trip to Food and Wine!
When: Thursday, August 31-Monday, September 4
Where: Caribbean Beach and WDW Dolphin
Why: Because we needed a distraction from real life!
How: Lyft, Southwest Airlines, Magical Express, and more Lyft!

Keep reading for new experiences, old favorites, and of course lots of food and drinks!

bee

Original Poster

PrincessL

We had no noise issues from where we were, but we also weren't there for long during the daytime, which is when most or all of construction work is done. It definitely was quiet at night!

Since Barbados and Martinique are now demolished I assume the best place to stay for proximity to the (limited) amenities would be Trinidad North. Personally I wouldn't go back until construction is finished, but I would definitely give it another shot later, especially after the gondola system is operating!

Yeah, if it weren't for the gift card and free dining on top of that we probably wouldn't be staying there in a few weeks. We don't plan on being in the room much or eating there so it should be ok. My biggest concern was if we wanted to sleep in one morning how the noise would be.

We have stayed once before and enjoy the Carribean vibe so once the gondolas are in with direct acces to Epcot it will still be on our list!!

Thanks for the advice!

Figgy1

Premium Member
The ride has, and has had, many names. M and I have called it "The Vegetable Boat Ride" for at least five years and on this trip we heard another family call it that. We've also heard "The Alligator Boat Ride" (although that's not quite accurate anymore :( ) and, of course, "The Farm Ride!"

:hilarious: Though I'm sure I wouldn't have recognized Neuschwanstein as a kid I'm not sure how he made the jump to Epcot? The Eiffel Tower, though, I thought everyone knew! Maybe he was being silly and didn't really think it was New York.
My dh calls The Land his favorite EPCOT bench:hilarious:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Day 2, cont.

We had a FP we were very excited to use:

tumblr_ovynagmFWK1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynagmFWK1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

U ok??

It was a walk-on even without a FP, and soon we were here:

tumblr_ovynagmFWK1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

Hi, Gina Torres!

tumblr_ovynagmFWK1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

We were the only two on our team. There were only two teams in the whole room.

tumblr_ovynagmFWK1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

We couldn't figure out what these were until the video outside the capsule area told us they were booster seats for smaller kids.

tumblr_ovynagmFWK1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

We liked the update and were glad to see a family-friendly version of the ride. The old mission (now just the Orange Team mission) is potentially frightening and this one was not so scary. I won't spoil the mission itself but I will say that this and the new Soarin' help to tie Future World and World Showcase together.

Next we visited the Big Golden Boo-...er, Festival Center.

tumblr_ovynjdlvkM1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynjdlvkM1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynjdlvkM1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynjdlvkM1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynjdlvkM1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynjdlvkM1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynjdlvkM1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Look at this tiny pineapple!

tumblr_ovynjdlvkM1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynjdlvkM1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Hand for scale.

Up next: Frozen again, and back to the Dolphin
You had me at Moana, the chocolate was a nice bonus

Trisha Lynn

Here now!

Hi, Stanley!

I don't think I get this reference.

The Eiffel Tower, though, I thought everyone knew!

Well yes. But it could also have been Tokyo Tower since they look the same.

It's never too early for cocktails, right?? These

I totes agree with you and I am also totes going to get those cocktails when I'm there next week.

Looking forward to the rest!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
LOVE the title! You had me at Food & Whine!! This report is rollicking good fun with the contributions of many punsters (and the visual of @myhappyplace finishing her cheese dip) :D

Quick side story: the woman in front of me in line asked the CM if the Ernie Els had any eel in it (since "Els" is part of the name I guess). The CM seemed a little confused by the question but assured her that there was no eel. She described it as fruity but not sweet. This seemed to satisfy the guest, until she took her receipt to the CMs distributing the food and drinks and discovered that she had ordered wine! I'm not sure what she thought it was... :hilarious:

:jawdrop:

We still prefer the California version, but at least the theme makes more sense at Epcot. Also, there was a pretty confused next to us and the following occurred:

(Neuschwanstein appears on screen)
Kid: Look, Epcot!
(Eiffel Tower appears on screen)
Kid: Whoa, New York!

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

:jawdrop:

Though I'm sure I wouldn't have recognized Neuschwanstein as a kid I'm not sure how he made the jump to Epcot? The Eiffel Tower, though, I thought everyone knew! Maybe he was being silly and didn't really think it was New York.

I would have understood if he'd said Magic Kingdom, since the Beast's castle is modeled on Neuschwanstein.

And I am amused that the F&W creative includes an Eiffel Tower made from Swiss cheese. You'd think they'd have used Brie! :joyfull:

Up next: Our return to a restaurant we haven't eaten at in Nine years!

I feel like there's a hint hidden in there. :cautious:

It was dinnertime! We checked in at:

Yup. Thought so. :cool:

Does it bother anyone else that "Ginger Zinger" doesn't rhyme?

There are two different ways you could force that to rhyme. :hilarious:

As we finished dinner the sun was beginning to set. My photos don't do it justice.

Dusk at Epcot is my favorite time & place.

Suddenly a Very Assertive Squirrel (TM) appeared.

I actually snorted at this. Then I saw the second picture and laughed out loud. That squirrel probably came from Canal Street. Or Times Square. :D

Looking forward to the rest of the whine! :)

bee

Original Poster
Yeah, if it weren't for the gift card and free dining on top of that we probably wouldn't be staying there in a few weeks. We don't plan on being in the room much or eating there so it should be ok. My biggest concern was if we wanted to sleep in one morning how the noise would be.

We have stayed once before and enjoy the Carribean vibe so once the gondolas are in with direct acces to Epcot it will still be on our list!!

Thanks for the advice!
You're welcome! Enjoy your trip!

My dh calls The Land his favorite EPCOT bench:hilarious:
:p

You had me at Moana, the chocolate was a nice bonus
This is why we're friends ;)

Sorry I'm late to the party:oops:
No one is late; we're just getting started!

Here now!
Welcome!

I don't think I get this reference.
It is from the Behind the Seeds tour. One of the plants is named Stanley and I have to point him out every time we ride!

I totes agree with you and I am also totes going to get those cocktails when I'm there next week.

Looking forward to the rest!
Yay, have a great trip!

Just got caught up! I am really excited to try that dip from the Ireland booth. I can guarantee you, I'll lick the bowl if it's that good. No shame! Also, I really like those hummus fries. I don't recall them being spicy hot either though.

Glad the boats from hell weren't so hot this time!
Welcome! Now I regret not licking the bowl :hilarious:

LOVE the title! You had me at Food & Whine!! This report is rollicking good fun with the contributions of many punsters (and the visual of @myhappyplace finishing her cheese dip) :D
All punsters are welcome here!

And I am amused that the F&W creative includes an Eiffel Tower made from Swiss cheese. You'd think they'd have used Brie! :joyfull:
I didn't even notice that! So silly.

I feel like there's a hint hidden in there. :cautious:
*ding ding ding* You got it!

There are two different ways you could force that to rhyme. :hilarious:
Yes lol! I think personally I favor making them both sound like "ginger."

Dusk at Epcot is my favorite time & place.
:)

I actually snorted at this. Then I saw the second picture and laughed out loud. That squirrel probably came from Canal Street. Or Times Square. :D

Looking forward to the rest of the whine! :)
Ha! He came from Times Square and then lost a bunch of weight from sweating so much!

bee

Original Poster
Day 2, cont.

It was time for our second ride on Frozen Ever After.

tumblr_ovynooERUJ1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

At some point after we'd scanned our bands the first time the guy in line in front of us stopped and didn't keep moving when the line started moving in front of him. He was staring intently at his phone and didn't respond when we tried getting his attention. Finally we tapped him and he looked up and realized he was blocking the line. He blurted out, "The Epcot 35 merch is in the Disney Parks app early!" We noticed he was wearing one of the Universe of Energy extinction shirts and various Passholder and parks-related merchandise. He continued staring at his phone all the way to his boat!

tumblr_ovynooERUJ1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

After Frozen we wanted one more snack before going back to the Dolphin.

tumblr_ovynooERUJ1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

Paneer pockets from Africa! Very worthy of a repeat!

tumblr_ovynooERUJ1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

More assertive wildlife :joyfull:

We decided to try the boat again.

tumblr_ovynooERUJ1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynooERUJ1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynooERUJ1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynooERUJ1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynooERUJ1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Matchy boat!

tumblr_ovynv9FxML1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynv9FxML1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynv9FxML1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynv9FxML1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

We picked up our keys from an eager, friendly employee in training named Samantha. We walked over the elevators to go up to the sixth floor.

Up next: The room!

bee

Original Poster
Day 2, cont.

The last time we stayed at the Dolphin was for Food and Wine 2015, to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary. It will be three years next month! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Let's have a little flashback to the Dolphin pre-refurbishment.

22126249214_a42ff4a755_k.jpg

22723784356_ed925c8f3f_k.jpg

22760332621_932cc5a3a7_k.jpg

22760272121_9ce9be9489_k.jpg

And...the Dolphin now!

tumblr_ow0psiHWFE1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0psiHWFE1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0qmhGZpt1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0psiHWFE1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0psiHWFE1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Are you ready for the room??

tumblr_ovynv9FxML1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovynv9FxML1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

This was an important couch. More later.

tumblr_ovynv9FxML1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0psiHWFE1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0psiHWFE1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0psiHWFE1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0psiHWFE1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

I'd call this an excellent refurbishment. The rooms and hallways still have character and a nautical vibe but everything is just a little fresher. :)

Time to check out the view!

Last time:

22561469640_4ea55de715_k.jpg

This time:

tumblr_ovynv9FxML1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

We much preferred the tree view of this room!

So why was the couch important? As you might know from my California TR, we found out last month we have to move out of our beloved rent controlled apartment in North Bergen. In the stress of the following days I neglected some of the singer things I needed to do, namely applying for auditions and competitions for the upcoming season. There was an important one due on September 1 (THE DAY I AM WRITING ABOUT NOW!) at 5:00pm, and though I'd intended to submit it the day before we left I just didn't get to it. I never bring my computer on WDW trips because we are light packers and we don't like to have a bunch of stuff with us, but I brought it this time and sat on that couch until I was done. I submitted the application at 3:59! DONE! :D

Up next: A new signature dining experience

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
So why was the couch important? As you might know from my California TR, we found out last month we have to move out of our beloved rent controlled apartment in North Bergen. In the stress of the following days I neglected some of the singer things I needed to do, namely applying for auditions and competitions for the upcoming season. There was an important one due on September 1 (THE DAY I AM WRITING ABOUT NOW!) at 5:00pm, and though I'd intended to submit it the day before we left I just didn't get to it. I never bring my computer on WDW trips because we are light packers and we don't like to have a bunch of stuff with us, but I brought it this time and sat on that couch until I was done. I submitted the application at 3:59! DONE! :D

In my line of work we call that JIT (just in time)!!

Max

bee

Original Poster

bee

Original Poster
Day 2, cont.

As many times as M and I have been to Disney World, and as many TS restaurants as we have eaten at, there are still MANY we've never tried. Each trip we try to fit in one or two new places. Since Tables in Wonderland announced a 30% discount at certain resort TS restaurants during our trip we knew we had to take advantage of it, so we booked dinner at Flying Fish!

The hot day had cooled into a respectably warm evening and we began the walk to the Boardwalk.

tumblr_ow0qmhGZpt1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0qmhGZpt1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0qmhGZpt1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

Uhhh...I think something might be...missing?

We arrived at FF right at our reservation time and requested two vegetarian menus. Upon being seated we noticed that almost ALL of the decor in the restaurant (and even the silverware!!) has some connection to water and/or fish.

tumblr_ow0qmhGZpt1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0qmhGZpt1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0qmhGZpt1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0qmhGZpt1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0qmhGZpt1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0qmhGZpt1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

There were lots of other wave/scale/water/fish motifs throughout the restaurant. We both liked that it was immersive yet subtle. For most things you really had to look to find the fish.

Our server was Joey and he was very personable and smiley. We started with cocktails.

tumblr_ow0qsiu3rR1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0qsiu3rR1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

My blood orange margarita

tumblr_ow0qsiu3rR1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

M's harvest mule

Up next: Food!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom