Swan & Dolphin fans!

dolce20

Original Poster
Anyone else love the S&D for more than just its location? I love official WDW resorts best (lookin at you, Poly) but I think the S&D gets a bad rap.

You've got the 2-park easy access, Crescent Lake "circle of magic" (good neighbors: Y&B, Boardwalk).

But wait! There's more! You've got the Mandara Spa, fine dining, 24-hour cafe for midnight pizza emergencies, a gem of a cabana poolside bar that serves some of the best lunch options around, an ice cream parlour, karaoke fun, a great gym, FIVE pools, tennis/basketball, beach movies, Michael Graves design everywhere you look, pretty great shopping at the Dolphin (have always found nice things at Lamont's and that little candy store? Awesome.), child care facility, nearby mini-golf, I could go on and on!

Yes, there are too many conventioneers walking around, the bathrooms are in need of a revamp and the resort fee sucks but I still love it!

Anyone else love the twinkling "stars" on the ceiling as you walk in to the lobby through Dolphin's front door?

DisneyPrincess5

Ooooo you've got my motor runnin! We are huge Swan/(mostly)Dolphin fans. Adore the Dolphin lobby and ceiling, love the twinkling lights, Picabu's, and love the views from many of the rooms. We love it so much, we even enjoy the parking lot. Weird I know. And of course, the location is woohoo!

While I'd love for them to include some certain Disney perks, I hope they never become Disney resorts as they're obvious hidden gems and the prices are awesome.

jody31

We actually go to The swan every year ,we're off next in 8 days time..if you go to fantasmic or illuminations ,it's nice to be able to walk home rather than fight the crowds.

BoarderPhreak

I'm a huge fan of the Swalphin. Love it. Great location (we're an Epcot family), great price, excellent amenities (the Dolphin more so). Stayed there on the last trip and would have again, but it was packed for SB13.

BoarderPhreak

Yep - we got in on the "every other night 60%" deal last time and it was sweet. There are bargains to be had; just keep an eye out - and don't expect them during the usual "blackout periods" (of heavy park traffic).

FYI, they just bumped their "resort services fee" from $14 to $17. It covers the "Disney perks" like on-site transportation, EMH, etc. but also in-room WiFi and two bottles of water/day.

alissafalco

Yep - we got in on the "every other night 60%" deal last time and it was sweet. There are bargains to be had; just keep an eye out - and don't expect them during the usual "blackout periods" (of heavy park traffic)

FYI, they just bumped their "resort services fee" from $14 to $17. It covers the "Disney perks" like on-site transportation, EMH, etc. but also in-room WiFi and two bottles of water/day.

When and how often do they have that special?

BoarderPhreak

When and how often do they have that special?
I wish I could say... We went just after Thanksgiving for that particular deal. I'd imagine they have it more often.

Get on the Mouseaver's newsletter as that lists all sorts of bargains/deals in the area (not just WDW-specific/on-property). The Swalphin also has a Facebook page and an email newsletter service. Also check their offers page regularly.

dolce20

Original Poster
Yes, definitely check the Dolphin's site - they have a promo or special deal section, call Starwood direct, check AAA or any of the travel websites. There's never a reason to pay full price. Also, some of the S&D restaurants give AAA discounts, too! Not heavily advertised but show that member card wherever you go!

I_heart_Tigger

You guys are getting me very excited for my first stay at the Dolphin in June. I've always stayed at the Beach Club if we're doing a deluxe resort and honestly probably wouldn't have booked the dolphin if my conference wasn't there.

Now I can't wait to experience it!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Do the buses run here? I heard if you stay at one you can't do the Dining plan... I'd love to try them one day!!!

Neither of those rumors are true.

Busses do run there, and you can get the Dining Plan.

-------EDIT------
As pointed out below, I was wrong. You can't get the Dining Plan.

I was thinking of a Dining Offer they did a few years ago (Dine & Dream, or something like that)...but it was limited to the restaurants in the hotel.

Now they do something like a loyalty points program (called a Passport) and they do have a dining plan for kids under 12 (again, limited to the restaurants at the hotel)

MickeyPeace

Love the Dolphin for all the reasons stated. I've stayed there more than any other resort.

I'd like to add to the list- the smell of the lobby has that Disney water smell. Love the smell of the Dolphin.

Starbucks coffee in every room.

Most comfortable beds on property.

Waterfall in the grotto pool.

Balconies with amazing views.

Fresh Mediterranean best breakfast on property.

I just wish the gym was 24 hours. And that Lou Mongello wasn't constantly plugging the swan dolphin $$$.

dolce20

Original Poster
No
Which one is better? The swan or the dolphin?

No question about it!!!! - the Dolphin!!!! Swan is more intimate with less conventioneers yadda yadda yadda - BUT! The Dolphin has much more going on for amenities. Trust me on this! Love both but the real magic lies within the Dolphin.

Enjoy!

We actually honeymooned at the Swan. Some people hate the scent of the lobby, but I happen to love it! I prefer the Disney resorts, but you won't see me turning down an offer to stay at the S/D!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom