News Swan and Dolphin Tower Expansion - The Walt Disney World Swan Reserve

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So it seems the balcony doors will be arriving one by one as they make each one...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looks like they are making quick work of the demo. Wonder how quickly this is going to go up?

From the timeline...

• Epcot:
    • new China 360 film and seamless tech
    • Apr - Jun... Remy's Ratatouille Adventure opens
    • Fall... some sort of UK Ride, likely Poppins carousel [moved from 2021]
    • Oct 1... the one-year interim show, Epcot Forever replaced with a permanent show featuring Disney music, the world, and IPs
    • New Swolphin Tower opens

BoarderPhreak

Was there ever a spiel on the design concepts behind the new tower? I'm wondering why it's nothing like the Swan and Dolphin - or is it supposed to be the water/beach/sky that ties them together? Can't really say I dig it, but I'd have to see it in person.

That'd be funny if that was actually the intent; if so, it worked - and makes this question moot. 😛

RandySavage

Unlike every hotel in the Crescent area (the distinct post-modern Graves duo or the Robert AM Stern designs aimed at reflecting turn-of-the century coastal resorts), there is no actual design concept or intent with this building, as the renderings make completely apparent. It follows the Kaufman-Chang McSam hotel design concept/intent: build a cheap, ugly modern midrise p-o-s with some senseless and dumb-looking attachments thrown on to qualify it as 'architecture.' Call it "modern, clean, luxury". Sell the views, not the building (the building messes up views for everything around it). You can find this building's thousands of unpleasant cousins anywhere from Manhattan to Guangzhou.

We all can see just how bad (aka average, pedestrian) hotel-design has gotten at WDW & Universal (save the Star Wars Hotel interiors), but this one creates further visual discord and is an eyesore from my go-to hotel (Beach Club), so it irks me much more than the other McSams rising around WDW (i.e., Riviera, Coronado, etc.)

mgf

Unlike every hotel in the Crescent area (the distinct post-modern Graves duo or the Robert AM Stern designs aimed at reflecting turn-of-the century coastal resorts), there is no actual design concept or intent with this building, as the renderings make completely apparent. It follows the Kaufman-Chang McSam hotel design concept/intent: build a cheap, ugly modern midrise p-o-s with some senseless and dumb-looking attachments thrown on to qualify it as 'architecture.' Call it "modern, clean, luxury". Sell the views, not the building (the building messes up views for everything around it). You can find this building's thousands of unpleasant cousins anywhere from Manhattan to Guangzhou.

We all can see just how bad (aka average, pedestrian) hotel-design has gotten at WDW & Universal (save the Star Wars Hotel interiors), but this one creates further visual discord and is an eyesore from my go-to hotel (Beach Club), so it irks me much more than the other McSams rising around WDW (i.e., Riviera, Coronado, etc.)

Just wanted to say: ^1000x this.

Soccerbrad

Is it possible that it's not for something necessary to be placed right at the tennis courts, but more trying to get a feel for a view of something beyond? As the crow flies, straight from space between the Swan and Dolphin, over the tennis courts leads towards that new fireworks launch sight across World Drive. I dunno, just spitballing.
Sorry new here-catching back up on Disney after a long hiatus. What new fireworks launch site?

Missing20K

Not defending his designs, but Kaufman made enough money from the McSam stuff to buy out Gwathmey Seigel after Charles Gwathmey died. Dude must be absolutely rolling in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom