News Swan and Dolphin Tower Expansion - The Walt Disney World Swan Reserve

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is pretty impressive, your location is spot on and it will have much less rooms than the Swan, but they will be suites. Also look for a rooftop signature restaurant.

Tishman will own the building, the question is now what brand (Marriott's call) will it be part of. The Dolphin is Sheraton and Swan is Westin. This building will be a third although still part of the complex.

There was a tweet from a supposed Marriott insider that Marriott was going to build a Kessler (high-end boutique) in that spot. [I've since can no longer find that tweet.] The site-that-shan't-be-named picked it up and is reporting that 'their sources' are telling them that a Kessler will be built there. However, other sites are saying that a Kessler PR spokesperson is saying 'nope.'

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...ed-to-wdw-but-disney-might-not-be-building-it

Gatorboy

This is pretty impressive, your location is spot on and it will have much less rooms than the Swan, but they will be suites. Also look for a rooftop signature restaurant.

Tishman will own the building, the question is now what brand (Marriott's call) will it be part of. The Dolphin is Sheraton and Swan is Westin. This building will be a third although still part of the complex.
Both are Starwood now a part of Marriott

michmousefan

Seems to me like they might choose to go with the JW Marriott line, seeing as things in WDW seems to be all about the luxury level these days, although probably not if it's going to be an all-suite hotel.

marriott.com/jw-marriott/travel.mi

TarzanRocked99-

Original Poster
There was a tweet from a supposed Marriott insider that Marriott was going to build a Kessler (high-end boutique) in that spot. [I've since can no longer find that tweet.] The site-that-shan't-be-named picked it up and is reporting that 'their sources' are telling them that a Kessler will be built there. However, other sites are saying that a Kessler PR spokesperson is saying 'nope.'

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...ed-to-wdw-but-disney-might-not-be-building-it
Kessler has nothing to do with this at all. That other site is cute. The third tower will be Tisman owned and Marriott managed just like the other two buildings.

HiYa Pal

I always kinda thought a slight exterior renovation, really not much more than painting, to make these look a touch more Egyptian, would really help their views from inside World Showcase.

RSoxNo1

Was it ever determined what this was? There was talk of a CM garage but also a resort. Could this be the Star Wars resort location even though it's on the wrong side of the park?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Was it ever determined what this was? There was talk of a CM garage but also a resort. Could this be the Star Wars resort location even though it's on the wrong side of the park?

Was it for sight views from the Coronado, Riviera and the Skyliner?

It was pretty much settled by insiders that the balloons were a height test for a new Swolphin-family tower for suites from a Marriott boutique brand that will occupy the tennis/basketball courts. All spelled out just a little bit upthread...

So now that I've been playing with Google Earth Pro more, I thought I scope out where the height balloons were. Going by the various photos, here's the balloon placement:

View attachment 214270

At least, generally. The wind was moving them around.

This does lend credence to what @marni1971 and @TarzanRocked99- were saying about a tight fit for a tower.

So, let's drop a tower in...

View attachment 214271

The footprint of the tower (without the porch) is 1.1 acres. The footprint of the Swan is 1.3 acres. Theoretically, if it's taller than the Swan, it would have just about as many rooms as the Swan... unless it's going to be a luxe niche brand of Marriott with large suites as I read on a Twitter post from a Marriott insider. But, things change, brands could change, footprint could change, roadways could change, OR... nothing happens.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I've just heard back from the media relations for the Swan and Dolphin.

Statement from Dave Bagwell, COO of Tishman Hotel Corporation, which owns the Swan/Dolphin:
“We are currently exploring an expansion project for the hotel but have not finalized plans, nor have we made a final determination of what companies will be involved.”

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I've just heard back from the media relations for the Swan and Dolphin.

Statement from Dave Bagwell, COO of Tishman Hotel Corporation, which owns the Swan/Dolphin:
“We are currently exploring an expansion project for the hotel but have not finalized plans, nor have we made a final determination of what companies will be involved.”

Bet that's a big surprise to Coastal!

PorterRedkey

The 2nd part of this article from Orlando Informer talks about the new 350-room boutique hotel on the tennis courts of the Swa-phin hotel area. They have edited the article to say this is confirmed by the Orlando Sentinal.

https://orlandoinformer.com/blog/disney-captain-ameria-experience-new-boutique-hotel/

EDIT: I search the Orlando Sentinal site and I was not able to find the article confirming this hotel. The Informer website said it was confirmed on the 10/18/17. The link they provide to the article is dated the 17th. After searching, I can't find any article in that section of the Sentinal for the 18th just articles for the 17th and the 19th. Could it have been deleted?

Can anyone tell that I am trying to avoid getting started working today?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yeah, I was just checking this out, too.

It seems the Orlando Sentinel changed the story without any annotation that they did so. Bad journalist! Bad!

So, as @wdwmagic 's account from Tishman says, nothing is finalized.

And now the Sentinel article has gone from "Coastal is building a 350 tower" to "Coastal is pursuing working with Tishman".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom