News Swan and Dolphin Tower Expansion - The Walt Disney World Swan Reserve

build_it

Well, there is BLT, Riviera, and the new Coronado tower, but I do agree that this is even more conventional than those. Well, maybe not more conventional than BLT.

I'm also not sold on the decorated sheds of the All-Stars, Pop, and AoA, but that's another story.

At least BLT is a more interesting shape and draws some inspiration from the Contemporary. Still not sure how I feel about Coronado yet. Seems a bit Vegas strip to me at the moment.

And I'd put All-Stars, Pop, and AoA ahead of this design, since they still feel unique to WDW.

Bocabear

At least BLT is a more interesting shape and draws some inspiration from the Contemporary. Still not sure how I feel about Coronado yet. Seems a bit Vegas strip to me at the moment.

And I'd put All-Stars, Pop, and AoA ahead of this design, since they still feel unique to WDW.
Not sure if I would be as kind about the All Star and Pop Resorts...they are nothing more than a low grade Motel 6 with extraneous fiberglass staues and cheap Disney bedspreads... I get it that they are value resorts, but when the costy per night at the Value Resort is more than a Luxury resort on the other side of the property, there is a problem...

Bocabear

excellent continuity of theme for the complex
... an appropriately ugly building
Evidently not a fan of the Graves aesthetic... Even if you don't like them you can admit they are shocking and unique...
not a plain glass box building you might see anywhere.
Post Modernist fantasy architecture...and Graves work will go down in history honestly... Unlike plain glass box motel building.

SomeInternetGuy

Here's the permit for this project:

It's described as a "14-story hotel tower in an "L" shape along with a 2 level conference/back of house facility"

fE4rnR2.jpg

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

Evidently not a fan of the Graves aesthetic... Even if you don't like them you can admit they are shocking and unique...
not a plain glass box building you might see anywhere.
Post Modernist fantasy architecture...and Graves work will go down in history honestly... Unlike plain glass box motel building.
He is already is down in history. A building Graves designed in Portland, OR has been named one of the ugliest buildings in America the WORLD. It's known as "Graves' mistake".

http://www.brianbailey.us/blog/world’s-ugliest-building/

Missing20K

jt04

Dang this is tiny, outside of height. Are there any other hotels on property with such low room counts?

My only guess is that this is designed to be rented out by the floor of entire facility for company or convention events where security and/or privacy is a concern.

I have figured out the design I think.

But the segments of brown trim on the exterior are cringy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom