News Swan and Dolphin Tower Expansion - The Walt Disney World Swan Reserve

Kamikaze

Going to get sick of seeing all these towers real soon. I love how sprawling the resorts are. It's their identity. Now towers are popping up all over property. So generic and boring. But my biggest gripe - even more guests coming with less space to put them...meaning the four parks.

The sprawling resorts just aren't as efficient.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Going to get sick of seeing all these towers real soon. I love how sprawling the resorts are. It's their identity. Now towers are popping up all over property. So generic and boring. But my biggest gripe - even more guests coming with less space to put them...meaning the four parks.

Sounds like an argument for a 5th gate....

fngoofy

I won't derail the topic any further so I will just leave it at, we can agree to disagree, and if you'd like to send me a PM of examples of compelling US architecture, I will send you 4 from other parts of the world for every 1 in the US. South East Asia and South America has the US crushed my forum friend.
Yes, but you had to go with the whole rest of the world against just the U.S.
justsayinzall

fngoofy

I had a co-worker who claimed to see a shuttle launch from high up in Spaceship Earth during construction. That must have been pretty cool.
Yes, back in the day you could see them from the front of the DHS park, looking out the main gate.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

The slight changes in this design make me think they're going to play off a water theme, linking it to the Swan and Dolphin. But, keeping it a similar name would be tough - The Ocean Hotel would work except Swans are fresh water. Riverside? Already taken. The Wave? Already taken. Best I have is H2Otel
The Watershed

JayKZ

I had a co-worker who claimed to see a shuttle launch from high up in Spaceship Earth during construction. That must have been pretty cool.
We watched a shuttle liftoff from the beach at Poly long ago. The launch was at sunset and the plumes from the SRBs lit up the sky. Magnificent.

Surfin' Tuna

You can still see the rocket launches from property. They are not as exciting as the shuttles were, but they are still visible. Hey, maybe that's why they are building more towers...upcharge for a space coast view room.

krb201

More bland, tower hotels for Disney World. Every move they have made recently in Resorts makes them more and more like the outside world. Sad.
Agreed. Based on the publicly available artist renderings, the hotel easily could be in any mid-sized or larger city nearly anywhere on the globe. Nothing on the exterior appears to make it an instantly uniquely WDW or even Disney property.

build_it

Some people really like the architecture of the Swan/Dolphin or even the cast building. Personally, I think it's so anachronistic to the 1990's that it will never escape. Adding another tower in that vein will just make it worse - or draw an even more obvious contrast.

People said the same thing about the architecture of Tomorrowland and now we wish we had it back... and might be getting it back.

Missing20K

Yes, but you had to go with the whole rest of the world against just the U.S.
justsayinzall

Well, I more specifically referred to South East Asia and South America. And also, there was a time when the US actually led the world in creating new, innovative, compelling, paradigm shifting architecture. I can say from experience, that the vast majority of US clients are unwilling to pay the premium for truly ground-breaking design.

I mean, there are examples at WDW that illustrate the stark difference when a client is willing to pay a premium for top-notch architecture. Disney at one time, was willing to go the extra mile to have architecture that was either innovative (Swolphin), helped enhance the storytelling (Wilderness Lodge), and in the best cases, both (Contemporary Hotel). There are also examples of Disney doing the opposite and spending as little as possible on design and construction as they focused on ROI and RevPAR (POP and AOA).

Many US clients that are able and willing to build medium to large scale projects are too risk averse to take the chance that a design is too "out there" for their tenants or customers or guests sensibilities. Hence, the rise of the "boutique" hotels, that are usually small enough to build or renovate at a lower cost, and if the concept doesn't "take" they haven't outlayed a large amount of capital. One could argue Disney themselves are attempting this approach with the Star Wars Hotel.

More on topic, this new wing for the Swolphin also sounds like it could be a similar "boutique" concept. So they aren't going to be willing to spend a premium for design and construction, when they could spend that capital on soft goods and finishes. Then, if the concept fails, it doesn't cost the company much to strip out finishes and renovate.

eddie104

Well, I more specifically referred to South East Asia and South America. And also, there was a time when the US actually led the world in creating new, innovative, compelling, paradigm shifting architecture. I can say from experience, that the vast majority of US clients are unwilling to pay the premium for truly ground-breaking design.

I mean, there are examples at WDW that illustrate the stark difference when a client is willing to pay a premium for top-notch architecture. Disney at one time, was willing to go the extra mile to have architecture that was either innovative (Swolphin), helped enhance the storytelling (Wilderness Lodge), and in the best cases, both (Contemporary Hotel). There are also examples of Disney doing the opposite and spending as little as possible on design and construction as they focused on ROI and RevPAR (POP and AOA).

Many US clients that are able and willing to build medium to large scale projects are too risk averse to take the chance that a design is too "out there" for their tenants or customers or guests sensibilities. Hence, the rise of the "boutique" hotels, that are usually small enough to build or renovate at a lower cost, and if the concept doesn't "take" they haven't outlayed a large amount of capital. One could argue Disney themselves are attempting this approach with the Star Wars Hotel.

More on topic, this new wing for the Swolphin also sounds like it could be a similar "boutique" concept. So they aren't going to be willing to spend a premium for design and construction, when they could spend that capital on soft goods and finishes. Then, if the concept fails, it doesn't cost the company much to strip out finishes and renovate.
We still don't know your definition of compelling...just saying.

Missing20K

We still don't know your definition of compelling...just saying.

Here....google is your friend.
Screenshot_2018-09-12 compelling - Google Search.png

I won't contribute any longer to this thread derailment. I'm not posting examples here, this isn't an architecture discussion forum. My post at least got things back on topic. Any further discussion....PM me....oh wait, you did, and then never responded. All done now.

Apolgies, everyone. Back to your regularly scheduled programming....

eddie104

Here....google is your friend.
View attachment 312677
I won't contribute any longer to this thread derailment. I'm not posting examples here, this isn't an architecture discussion forum. My post at least got things back on topic. Any further discussion....PM me....oh wait, you did, and then never responded. All done now.

Apolgies, everyone. Back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Seems like you don't like people who don't agree with you which is cool so I won't bother

PS. I hate how in some photos you can see the Swan and Dolphin from the boardwalk is it really that close as I haven't been there ???

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom