News Swan and Dolphin Tower Expansion - The Walt Disney World Swan Reserve

CLEtoWDW

I’m not sure how I feel about this... on the one hand it increases the available rooms in the EPCOT resort area which is by far my favorite location to stay. On the other hand it will definitely increase foot traffic around that area and the fact that the area never seemed crowded before was always one of the best perks of the area.

build_it

I am curious to see what the final version will look like. I'm not a fan of the corporate glass box, as its been presented so far.

I wish they would do something that plays on the other post modern architecture, and that would work in harmony with what is there.
Something like this Sao Paulo hotel...
Sao-Paulo-Unique-Hotel.jpg

Spash007

The slight changes in this design make me think they're going to play off a water theme, linking it to the Swan and Dolphin. But, keeping it a similar name would be tough - The Ocean Hotel would work except Swans are fresh water. Riverside? Already taken. The Wave? Already taken. Best I have is H2Otel

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not sure how I feel about this... on the one hand it increases the available rooms in the EPCOT resort area which is by far my favorite location to stay. On the other hand it will definitely increase foot traffic around that area and the fact that the area never seemed crowded before was always one of the best perks of the area.

I would tend to agree

HwdStudio

People once again already hating something that has yet to be built. This will be much more upscale than anything Disney offers and will be needed in the area once additions to Epcot and DHS are completed. I can stay at the Swan or Dolphin for around $45 to $50 a night whenever please so I’m actually thrilled. I spend weeks there many times every year. The location is perfect. Out of all of the DVC I own, other than AKL, I had much rather be at the Swan and Dolphin any day. And calling it the Swolphin, in my opinion, sounds lazy and stupid. Again just my opinion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I guess it amounts to being insignificant in the grand scheme of things but this hotel will have rooftop fireworks viewing area, the Riviera will have rooftop fireworks area, you already have a few hotels that have firework viewing areas (Top of the world lounge for instance)...even if it's small, it still is that many less people fighting for places to watch nighttime shows in the parks...

The new Coronado tower is also on that bandwagon.

It's popular with the Contemporary. And seeing fireworks from the beach at Poly. Yeah, it's not the same as being in the park, but I've enjoyed DHS's from the balcony of the Dolphin, and Epcot's from the fourth floor of Pop. I think my enjoyment came from having seen them up close enough times that I don't feel like I'm missing out. I wouldn't have wanted that to have been the only experience of those particular fireworks.

Also, some people (especially small children) have a low tolerance from the loudness (or crushing crowds) and being at a distance is preferable.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
People once again already hating something that has yet to be built. This will be much more upscale than anything Disney offers and will be needed in the area once additions to Epcot and DHS are completed. I can stay at the Swan or Dolphin for around $45 to $50 a night whenever please so I’m actually thrilled. I spend weeks there many times every year. The location is perfect. Out of all of the DVC I own, other than AKL, I had much rather be at the Swan and Dolphin any day. And calling it the Swolphin, in my opinion, sounds lazy and stupid. Again just my opinion.

I hesitate to believe that....

eddie104

It's sad that this seems to be just another boring, cookie cutter design of a hotel. Looks awfully similar to Universal's Adventura hotel. 😑
When is the last time Disney built an extremely themed hotel ? I believe the Explorers Lodge at HKDL was the last one with maybe the SDL Hotel being mild compared to past ones.

SpoiledBlueMilk

More bland, tower hotels for Disney World. Every move they have made recently in Resorts makes them more and more like the outside world. Sad.

Some people really like the architecture of the Swan/Dolphin or even the cast building. Personally, I think it's so anachronistic to the 1990's that it will never escape. Adding another tower in that vein will just make it worse - or draw an even more obvious contrast.

Missing20K

I am curious to see what the final version will look like. I'm not a fan of the corporate glass box, as its been presented so far.

I wish they would do something that plays on the other post modern architecture, and that would work in harmony with what is there.
Something like this Sao Paulo hotel... View attachment 312214

Few clients want to pay for architecture that compelling, particularly in the US, particularly large corporate clients with shareholders. There is too much risk people may not like it. Designs of that type also don't lend themselves well to ROI or RevPAR calculations. While not as bad as some other behemoths, Disney is still a pretty risk-averse company, generally speaking.

eddie104

Few clients want to pay for architecture that compelling, particularly in the US, particularly large corporate clients with shareholders. There is too much risk people may not like it. Designs of that type also don't lend themselves well to ROI or RevPAR calculations. While not as bad as some other behemoths, Disney is still a pretty risk-averse company, generally speaking.
I'm going to have to disagree with your comment concerning the US paying to build compelling architecture with so many examples around this country so that it is not a true statement.

Missing20K

I'm going to have to disagree with your comment concerning US paying to build compelling architecture with so many examples around this country so that it is not a true statement.

I won't derail the topic any further so I will just leave it at, we can agree to disagree, and if you'd like to send me a PM of examples of compelling US architecture, I will send you 4 from other parts of the world for every 1 in the US. South East Asia and South America has the US crushed my forum friend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom