Swan and Dolphin look outdated?

WDW_Jon

You won't be disappointed. Can't beat the location for the price that you're paying. For the longest time I was a firm Beach Club, Yacht Club or Boardwalk guy, but those prices are just insane now and I started staying at Swan/Dolphin since 2010 and haven't looked back.

Same :)

crxbrett

I tried to convince my SO about maybe staying at the Swan or Dolphin on our next trip - but she thinks it looks too much like a Vegas hotel.

I've never stayed there, but is the only perk the resort is missing the DME shuttle service? If you stay there you still get EMHs, MagicBands and 60-day out bookings for FP+s, right?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I tried to convince my SO about maybe staying at the Swan or Dolphin on our next trip - but she thinks it looks too much like a Vegas hotel.

I've never stayed there, but is the only perk the resort is missing the DME shuttle service? If you stay there you still get EMHs, MagicBands and 60-day out bookings for FP+s, right?

Swolphin breakdown...

So, some background on the Swan and Dolphin: The Swolphin both is and isn't a Disney hotel. Basically, Disney is letting an outside hotel chain run a Disney resort rather than run it themselves. They did this to attract conventioneers who were used to hotel chains and had points with them (originally Westin and Sheraton, both bought out by Starwood, which is now bought out by Marriott).

It is a Disney resort:

* Disney advertises the Swolphin as a Disney resort on their site and it shows up in resort searches.
* Disney has a say in how they operate.
* Disney characters show up for their character meals.
* Disney gets a share of their earnings.
* Disney provides free transportation within 'the bubble' (buses and ferries, but not Magical Express to/from the airport).
* Disney staffs their Disney ticket center.
* If you stay at the Swolphin, parking is free at the parks (but not at the Swolphin itself).
* You get Extended Magic Hours
* You get the 60 day window for FastPasses.
* Park purchases can be sent to the Swolphin for pick-up later.
* You get all the golfing perks of staying at a Disney Resort

It is not fully Disney:

* You can use Starwood/Marriott points there, which you can't at other Disney resorts.
* The accounting system is separate which means you can't charge to room at the parks.
* They don't do MagicBands (no free ones, no MB door unlocking, but, you can buy your own or use old ones from other visits).
* They have a mandatory resort fee (unless you bought a package deal, like from CostCo, in which the resort fee is waived or included).
* You don't have Magic Express to/from the airport (but you do have free bus and ferry within the Disney bubble).

As a convention resort, the clientele is more adults and less children. Occasionally, the lobby will be full of conventioneers moving to their next event. And it's cheaper than the other resorts on Crescent Lake (the lake between Epcot and Hollywood Studios). Often $200 a night or more cheaper.

It is very much a Deluxe resort. It has high class restaurants and shops. Excellent pools. A spa. Character dining. A gym. Children's activity center. Full room service. Full business class services. People argue over whether it's appropriately themed enough to be a Deluxe. While you're not going to get a bed shaped like a pirate ship, it's as nice as the Contemporary or Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk, or Floridian whose theming is nothing more than fine architecture and art. And the Swolphin has that, though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And, you can walk to two parks. I love that. And you can walk to any of the fine restaurants/bars of the other resorts on the lake including the BoardWalk.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the Dolphin over the Swan. Mostly because most of the amenities (completely shared by the two... same owner) are in the Dolphin: gym, laundromat, all-night cafeteria, ice cream shop, grab & go food store (Fuel). The Swan is just slightly more luxe than the Dolphin, but, I'd rather not carry laundry to another building.

Minthorne

Checked in last night. Have a great corner oversized room. Lobby isn’t my style but it is fresh and new. Room is really nice and you can’t beat the location/price.

But $6.50 for a large cold brew at Fuel - yup it’s still Disney prices someplace!
image.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don't forget to check out the 24 hour restaurant at the ground level (Picabu) along with the gym, laundry room, and arcade in the same wing.

Fuel has a by-the-pound frozen yogurt, but Fountain, at the ground level has the good shakes.

WDW_Jon

No bands either... we will use them for our tickets in the parks next time but no room charging on them and you still need a room card...

LUVofDIS

Don't forget to check out the 24 hour restaurant at the ground level (Picabu) along with the gym, laundry room, and arcade in the same wing.

Fuel has a by-the-pound frozen yogurt, but Fountain, at the ground level has the good shakes.

Man, we eat at Picabu whenever we stay late at the parks, which is most nights. I love their half chicken dinner.

Also, they have a awesome salads at the Mediterranean Market, we have only eaten there twice because they are only open for breakfast and lunch and we eat breakfast in the room and are never around at lunch.

We use our vouchers for no room service to have an awesome dessert at the Fountain.

Man am I hungry now.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Man, we eat at Picabu whenever we stay late at the parks, which is most nights. I love their half chicken dinner.

Also, they have a awesome salads at the Mediterranean Market, we have only eaten there twice because they are only open for breakfast and lunch and we eat breakfast in the room and are never around at lunch.

We use our vouchers for no room service to have an awesome dessert at the Fountain.

Man am I hungry now.

I'm also a Picabu food fan! It's very convenient (I usually stay at the Swan, but it's a quick walk over to Dolphin). Their dinner portions are generous and I don't think it's overpriced.

JusticeDisney

I’ll tell ya, I love the Dolphin as much as anyone, but I don’t get the affinity for Picabu. We find the food there almost inedible. It’s like a high school cafeteria. Oh well, to each his own.

Walt d

Anyone else think that the outside of the Swan and Dolphin looks tacky? I personally don’t find them to look that pretty. What’s your opinion?
I like them but” there just too tall, i understand thats for more. Rooms though would like to see a nice art deco hotel some were on they property ,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom