Survivor S40: Winners at War

PUSH

Original Poster
Apparently there's a big emotional scene coming from Yul tonight regarding Jonathan Penner and his wife, Stacy, who has ALS.

PUSH

Original Poster
I am happy we got no EoE! I didn't want anyone to go home again, but this time it was even more so. The tribe shake up put so many great combinations together.

1. I am loving Parvati and Michele! I would love if those two went to the end.

2. Michele and Wendell was hilarious.

3. Yul and Parvati together again. 😍

4. I am not a fan of the three tribe split, though. It makes the vote more obvious and less interesting. Raise your hand if you thought someone other than Rob was going home. Exactly. Either he goes home due to Sarah's steal-a-vote, or he goes home because Ben and Adam flipped. If you have more people in the tribe, there's more to happen at camp, which leads to more strategy.

5. There were more conversations than the edit made it seem. Sarah knew she was safe. If there was any doubt, she would have stolen Rob's vote. The fact that she didn't showed she was confident.

6. My guess is next week two will be voted off (we know this already). The following week one player will come back from the Edge. Then they merge right after the challenge.

7. Parvati survives another week! She will make it at least 7 votes in!

8. Yul is great. Jonathan Penner is great. ALS is such an awful thing.

9. I am loving this season, though I was upset because this ends the old school alliance for good. No more Rob and Parvati working together.

BrianLo

It was painfully obvious tonight. But he should have adapted his gameplay. He is a one trick pony. He wants to control every aspect of the game. It's boom or bust with him. And with a group of winners, you have to know that style of play won't work.

Ya, despite me being on team Rob up until now... I think I was really just on team Parvarti.

Such poor gamesmanship from Rob. So old school, such aggressive playing.

Why on earth he thought hitching his safety solely on Adam (sneaky) and Ben (impulsive) was logical, is mind boggling. I actually wasn't sad he went when he clearly deserved it.

Our only two real goats left right now are Nick and Wendell (the latter I didn't really expect to be a goat).

Michelle is gold! She's retroactively still proving why she deserves to be here.

NYwdwfan

Ya, despite me being on team Rob up until now... I think I was really just on team Parvarti.

Why on earth he thought hitching his safety solely on Adam (sneaky) and Ben (impulsive) was logical, is mind boggling. I actually wasn't sad he went when he clearly deserved it.

Our only two real goats left right now are Nick and Wendell (the latter I didn't really expect to be a goat).

Michelle is gold! She's retroactively still proving why she deserves to be here.
I didn't have much of an opinion on Wendell (didn't see his season) until he went all ex-boyfriendy on Michele. I don't much care for that type of attitude. Obviously they don't need to talk abut their relationship - but to not want to talk - at all - come on. Get over yourself.

NYwdwfan

Dalton Ross recap (for some reason I can only find it on yahoo not ew.com):

I am not thrilled with the sentence below. I was hoping after the player returns from EoE the rest go home - not to the jury. Did we already know they were going to the jury?

From the article: This would have made his third non-jury appearance, if not for the Edge of Extinction twist which automatically guarantees everyone is on the jury as long as they do not quit.

Wendy Pleakley

Rob was an underdog the moment he stepped foot on the beach. He's getting a lot of credit for lasting as long as he did.

His worst move was his aggressive and controlling style of gameplay. He was never going to be able to control everyone the way he has in the past, on a season of winners. Having said that, if it worked for him on All Stars maybe he reasonably felt it could work here too.

Given his limited options this week, I don't think trying to work with Adam and Ben was a terrible idea. As he pointed out, it's a game of numbers. Considering the tribe splits, his original Sele tribe mates are in the minority on both of the other tribes. He knows Dakal voted unanimously, which means Sarah and Sophie are likely tight, and it also means all of Dakal will likely vote together at the merge.

To stand a chance in the game, a case can be made that Rob, Adam, and Ben should have worked together to maintain Sele numbers as much as possible, and give themselves a fighting chance at the merge. In Survivor, the situation is always changing. Good gameplay can mean that people who voted against each other in the past, recognize that working together under new circumstances, is the correct move.

Wendy Pleakley

I am not thrilled with the sentence below. I was hoping after the player returns from EoE the rest go home - not to the jury. Did we already know they were going to the jury?

We know that's how it worked on Edge of Extinction, so this was the common assumption. On that season, Reem was voted out first but was still a jury member.

It's not a surprise. A major reason EoE was utilized in Winners was to keep popular characters in the show, and to give them a motivation to play again.

I imagine it will be a huge jury. I don't expect any contestants to quit this time around.

NYwdwfan

We know that's how it worked on Edge of Extinction, so this was the common assumption. On that season, Reem was voted out first but was still a jury member.

It's not a surprise. A major reason EoE was utilized in Winners was to keep popular characters in the show, and to give them a motivation to play again.

I imagine it will be a huge jury. I don't expect any contestants to quit this time around.
Yeah - I did watch that season - I was just hoping the changed it since it was a dopey idea!!

Wendy Pleakley

Yeah - I did watch that season - I was just hoping the changed it since it was a dopey idea!!

It's been said (rumour or fact? I'm not sure) that EoE was essentially a test to see if the concept would allow for a Winners season to feature all of the contestants for an entire season. Based on this notion, it was a given EoE would remain as is for Winners at War.

Audience reaction and even player reaction on Winners, is more likely what will determine whether or not we see this concept again.

NYwdwfan

It's been said (rumour or fact? I'm not sure) that EoE was essentially a test to see if the concept would allow for a Winners season to feature all of the contestants for an entire season. Based on this notion, it was a given EoE would remain as is for Winners at War.

Audience reaction and even player reaction on Winners, is more likely what will determine whether or not we see this concept again.
Gotcha.

PUSH

Original Poster
So since I'm not going to work for the next few weeks, I killed some time this morning by running a Second Chances 2 season on Brant Steele. I used the David vs Goliath format. Here is how that season played out:

1584453328300.png

1584453360520.png

PUSH

Original Poster
In day 2 of my self-quarantine, I did a Legends Who Never Won season.

A couple of notes:

- Ciera becomes the second player to be voted out 1st two times.

- Kelley Wentworth successfully played a legacy advantage at the final 6, then an idol at the final 5.

- Yau-Man was voted out with an idol in his pocket.

- David saved Amanda with an idol.

- Andrea was medically evacuated from the game, having no votes cast against her the entire game.

1584540538737.png

1584540662779.png

PUSH

Original Poster
Tonights emotions are too much! We said goodbye to my favorite Survivor ever, for very likely the last time. But then we have one of the most epic moves in Survivor history. I don't think I fully realized how epic it is, either, since I was still bummed about Parvati. But here are my thoughts...

1. Parvati! No! I knew it was going to happen, and I'm surprised it took this long. But I knew Nick wasn't going to throw his game away for a high school crush who he'd never met. It's so sad. I hope she returns from the Edge, but I would be shocked if that were to happen.

2. Denise! Amazing! I wish she would have kept an idol for herself, but much like Parvati in Heroes vs Villains, it was a very smart use of her second idol, even though it had to effect. Sandra got too bold there, and I saw it coming. Denise gets to keep one of the fire tokens, too. So smart!

3. I am loving the strategy that fire tokens have brought to this season. Anything that bring strategy and social politicking are more than welcome. They aren't like an idol that can be kept secret and used to bail out bad gameplay. They are being used to barter and buy and sell. There's strategy behind it, and I love it.

4. Tyson using his fire token for peanut butter. 😂

5. PARVATI!!!! 😭

6. I would argue that taking out all these old school players is the wrong move for the newer school players. The old school players, while very good, are much more loyal. And although they seem connected, they were all isolated and had nowhere to run. Rob had nobody once Amber, Ethan, and Tyson were voted out. Parvati had nobody besides Michele tonight. These two players were nearly powerless in this game. Yet you can still use them as shields. Now the players like Jeremy, Tony, Kim, etc. are the next in line. All the top threats are gone. Yul will be looked at. Wendell will be looked at. I know you don't want to rock the boat, but they are keeping less-predictable players in the game. That's very dangerous. Ben, Adam, Wendell, Tony, Sarah, are all players who have proven to be unpredictable or very willing to backstab. Rob is not a backstabber. Parvati backstabbed in Micronesia, but stayed loyal to her core group. She was very loyal in Cook Islands and HvV. The players around her (Penner and Russell) were the ones doing the betraying. I think the legend surrounding them was too much, but that's ultimately what has taken down most of these winners so far. The ones who are left are not as big of legends as Rob, Parvati, Ethan, Tyson, etc.

7. So far I think these are the contenders to come back from the Edge: Tyson, Rob, Natalie. I'd be surprised if anyone else did.

8. As much as it hurts me, it continues to be a fantastic season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom