Survivor S40: Winners at War

NYwdwfan

So, in reading the article that was linked, I learned that there was some knowledge of who would be participating. This is how Yul was able to reveal the poker alliance. But, if players knew in advance who was going, why was Sandra upset about Rob not telling her? She would have already known. Unless this is just one of her lies to try to eliminate a threat. Or, perhaps Rob and Sandra made an alliance early on and this is a strategy to get Amber on EoE as the author theorized? Which brings me to another thought: if there was advance knowledge of who was playing, why was there no advance alliances formed?
Maybe they just knew it was a winners season and started speculating who might participate and if there was anything they could use against them?

PUSH

Original Poster
Maybe they just knew it was a winners season and started speculating who might participate and if there was anything they could use against them?
This. Jeff did not tell them the theme, but told them they were needed because it was going to be a huge season. Everyone figured it was a winners season, and pre-game alliances started forming.

Wendy Pleakley

There was a lot of skepticism over this season with EoE being back and the fire tokens, but based on a single episode, I'm loving it so far.

It's fascinating how a one-off comment made in jest (I assume) at a poker tournament carries so much weight. But hey, smart game play. Use any tool at your disposal to sow the seeds of mistrust.

It's fascinating to see how the players consider so many factors outside of a normal season, like who knows who and who is married to who.

It's a whole different game. Several of the big characters are playing big games and it's highly entertaining so far.

There are several players I have zero memory of. Such is the nature of Survivor, I'd forgotten how Aubry for example is someone that arguably should have won, and should have been here. The best players often fall short.

Crazy that in one week we got this, and three episodes of Australian Survivor All-Stars which is already an instant classic after a much talked about start (seriously, if you haven't watched the foreign series you are missing out).

I think I'll bow out from reading any reactions online going forward. Last season, everyone and their dog had the winner pegged due to "winner's edit" and such. I want to shut some of that out and allow myself to be surprised.

PUSH

Original Poster
Jeopardy had a Survivor category tonight. I got all the questions right, but they were all super easy. The answers (some may be out of money order):

$200 - Cyclone
$400 - Alliance
$600 - The Tribe Has Spoken
$800 - Elisabeth (Filarski) Hasselbeck
$1000 - The Art of War

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I. Love. Rob.

I don’t see any way for him to win this, but my word, he deserves to.

People I used to hate and don’t anymore - Tony (yes, Tony) and Parv (egad!)

There are so many players that I like this season, that I just don’t know which tribe to root for.

My favourite five (okay, six):
1 - Rob
2 - Ethan
3 - Parvati
4- Amber
5 - Yul/Kim

PUSH

Original Poster
I. Love. Rob.

There are so many players that I like this season, that I just don’t know which tribe to root for.

1 - Rob
2 - Ethan
3 - Parvati
4- Amber
5 - Yul/Kim
Oh my... I can't believe you just said you like Parvati. I think our friendship just reached a new level tonight.

PUSH

Original Poster
My thoughts on episode two...

1. I dislike EoE and fire tokens a little less tonight. But I continue to feel like one of the worst parts of EoE is how it takes away from the rest of the game so much. It was so much more enjoyable to watch Tony's antics tonight than a scavenger hunt on the Edge.

2. Tony is playing a great game so far. He really learned from his Game Changers blunders.

3. I think the player of the game through two episodes is Sophie. She has Yul coming to her last week, and now Kim coming to her this week. She's been an amazing social player so far, and that's the game you need to play right now.

4. I fear for Kim. She clearly has not had to play from the bottom before. I have hope that she'll be able to turn it around, though.

5. I also have seen some mistakes from Parvati at Tribal Council this season. Last week she made a comment that keyed Jeremy into a blindside coming. Tonight she confirmed the old school alliance. Two big mistakes, which is dangerous in the live Tribal era of Survivor.

6. I don't know why they voted Danni over Parvati. Parv is so much more threatening. And what do the new school players gain? I don't see an advantage in keeping Parvati. I see an advantage in keeping Danni.

7. But also, if Adam is calling Rob the Godfather and saying it's terrifying to go against him and vote out Parvati... why not target Rob? You know where the idol is. You know he has two fire tokens because of Amber getting voted out. Parvati is essentially powerless without him. Whereas on the flip side, Rob has power yet without Parvati. So why Parvati over Rob? I see no benefit other than challenges.

8. I am loving this season so far. It is painful every Tribal Council. I liked Danni. Today's game looks like too much for her. She needed to come in and lay low, but she panicked and got paranoid. She was safe, but did this to herself. However, I am happy Parvati is still in it. Honestly, coming into this season, I wouldn't have minded if Ben, Nick, or Adam got voted off. However, Ben has been very entertaining. Adam has played well (but has still had some whiny and entitled moments which make me dislike him). Nick has gotten a purple edit so far, so I can't say much about him. The only reason he's not at the top of my list is because he is newer, and I haven't had the time to idolize him like some of the other players.

PUSH

Original Poster
I. Love. Rob.

1 - Rob
2 - Ethan
3 - Parvati
4- Amber
5 - Yul/Kim
I tried ranking my top 5, but I came away with a clear cut top two: Parvati then Kim. Beyond that it was so hard. Natalie is probably third. Then I have no idea. Toss us between the majority of the rest of them.

NYwdwfan

I. Love. Rob.

1 - Rob
2 - Ethan
3 - Parvati
4- Amber
5 - Yul/Kim
I love Rob. And Parv. And Kim. And Tyson. Tyson’s comment about Tony being someone that protects people in the real world was amazing.

artvandelay

My thoughts on episode two...

1. I dislike EoE and fire tokens a little less tonight. But I continue to feel like one of the worst parts of EoE is how it takes away from the rest of the game so much. It was so much more enjoyable to watch Tony's antics tonight than a scavenger hunt on the Edge.

2. Tony is playing a great game so far. He really learned from his Game Changers blunders.

3. I think the player of the game through two episodes is Sophie. She has Yul coming to her last week, and now Kim coming to her this week. She's been an amazing social player so far, and that's the game you need to play right now.

4. I fear for Kim. She clearly has not had to play from the bottom before. I have hope that she'll be able to turn it around, though.

5. I also have seen some mistakes from Parvati at Tribal Council this season. Last week she made a comment that keyed Jeremy into a blindside coming. Tonight she confirmed the old school alliance. Two big mistakes, which is dangerous in the live Tribal era of Survivor.

6. I don't know why they voted Danni over Parvati. Parv is so much more threatening. And what do the new school players gain? I don't see an advantage in keeping Parvati. I see an advantage in keeping Danni.

7. But also, if Adam is calling Rob the Godfather and saying it's terrifying to go against him and vote out Parvati... why not target Rob? You know where the idol is. You know he has two fire tokens because of Amber getting voted out. Parvati is essentially powerless without him. Whereas on the flip side, Rob has power yet without Parvati. So why Parvati over Rob? I see no benefit other than challenges.

8. I am loving this season so far. It is painful every Tribal Council. I liked Danni. Today's game looks like too much for her. She needed to come in and lay low, but she panicked and got paranoid. She was safe, but did this to herself. However, I am happy Parvati is still in it. Honestly, coming into this season, I wouldn't have minded if Ben, Nick, or Adam got voted off. However, Ben has been very entertaining. Adam has played well (but has still had some whiny and entitled moments which make me dislike him). Nick has gotten a purple edit so far, so I can't say much about him. The only reason he's not at the top of my list is because he is newer, and I haven't had the time to idolize him like some of the other players.
I would think the smart move would be to vote out Parvati and keep Danni. Danni now knows Ethan and Rob went against her and she would switch over to the new players.

I was waiting for Boston Rob to triumphantly carry his team to victory, but he was oddly off his game.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Did anyone catch this? I surely did not.

From Dalton Ross’ recap:
“Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good, and after neither of them could figure out the clue of the first letter in each line spelling out WATER WELL, Natalie went to get some water and just happened to look down ....”

The whole article:

NYwdwfan

Did anyone catch this? I surely did not.

From Dalton Ross’ recap:
“Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good, and after neither of them could figure out the clue of the first letter in each line spelling out WATER WELL, Natalie went to get some water and just happened to look down ....”

The whole article:
You must have been looking down - they zoomed in and highlighted the first letters.

PUSH

Original Poster
How dare you vote Ethan!!!

Next to Parvati going, this is the saddest thing to have happened to the Sele tribe. Ethan was probably the nicest guy out there. An amazing story. Just so sad. You could tell he was having the time of his life out there, and he was just thankful for the experience. Would have loved to see him win.

But overall, this was a good move from Jeremy and Michele's perspective. Weaken the old school trio. Dismantle Adam's power. Gain control yourself. I am surprised they got Denise to go against Adam's wishes. Kudos to her for looking after herself. I think she's playing a really great game.

I am still shocked that Parvati and Rob have survived three Tribal Councils. That's crazy.

I also am not a fan of all these old school players being voted off. We waited to long to see Amber, Danni, and Ethan play the game again. The Edge is not the same. But Natalie is killing it on the Edge, and that makes me happy, too. I love Natalie.

I wasn't a fan of the rival tribe invasion again. It isn't that interesting. We already know players don't react to noises because there are cameramen and producers around all the time anyway. It took a lot of time away from probably many other great moments. Although the Tony moment with the ashes was fun. Tony is just a great character. A cartoon character, really.

I also really liked to see Michele take charge. I really like Michele. I personally would have voted for Aubry to win, but I think Michele is deserving as well. She's fun to follow on Twitter.

Once again another great episode, even though Ethan was voted out. This season has been amazing. I hope it continues. The amount of great pre-merges followed by terrible post-merges has been too much lately. I think this season will be so much better, though. These four episodes have already been better Survivor than probably the last 7 combined.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom