Survivor 42 Discussion Thread

Wendy Pleakley

When I think of "advantaged out" I think of what happened to Cirie in season 34.

In a way, Maryanne was very lucky she didn't push so much that Mike and Jonathan would want her out. Either way, Maryanne had Omar out even if she and Romeo were the only ones voting. All she really had to do was make Lindsey and Omar think she was voting with them. She had Romeo. She didn't need to bother with Mike or Jonathan. Maybe pass the suggestion along but not push it too much.

Same, and because the amulet expired before the other idols, there was never going to be a Cirie situation. This vote and next, there will always be two people without protection. I still don't love the numbers and lack of voting options, but at least it's not someone leaving by default.

I suspect Mike and Jonathan were on board with Maryanne. With the shot in the dark still in play, it makes sense that they would put two votes on Romeo knowing Omar could be safe via the shot or the amulet. If either happens, they still protect themselves knowing Lindsay and Omar would be voting for one of them.

Jedijax719

Same, and because the amulet expired before the other idols, there was never going to be a Cirie situation. This vote and next, there will always be two people without protection. I still don't love the numbers and lack of voting options, but at least it's not someone leaving by default.

I suspect Mike and Jonathan were on board with Maryanne. With the shot in the dark still in play, it makes sense that they would put two votes on Romeo knowing Omar could be safe via the shot or the amulet. If either happens, they still protect themselves knowing Lindsay and Omar would be voting for one of them.
Yeah, probably true. Mike wanted Omar out and nodded with approval when nobody played an idol. So the Romeo votes were likely protection, but they wanted Omar gone. (still probably would have been Jonathan had Omar been safe though).

Wendy Pleakley

Yeah, probably true. Mike wanted Omar out and nodded with approval when nobody played an idol. So the Romeo votes were likely protection, but they wanted Omar gone. (still probably would have been Jonathan had Omar been safe though).

For me it comes down to, it was kind of a perfect vote. It wouldn't make sense for Maryanne to push a 5-2 Omar vote. It's not in Mike & Jonathan's interest (if Lindsay idols Omar they are vulnerable), and you never push a plan than isn't mutually beneficial. They had the numbers to split in order to defend against advantages.

Omar as the primary, with Romeo as the backup is a win for that group either way. The only "flaw" is that you usually don't split on someone in your group, but what is Romeo going to do? He could have joined Omar and Lindsay but all things considered they were correct to conclude that this wasn't likely.

Wendy Pleakley

Omar felt personally attacked at Ponderosa apparently. Impossible to say how it would have all played out in the end but it supports what I thought was a possibility - he makes it to the end and loses like Russell did due to animosity from the jury.

The players seem to be good sports for the most part, but lying to turn Mike against Hai and stealing an idol are big moves that can easily alienate people. Especially the latter, which is risky because it publicly embarrasses someone.

PUSH

Original Poster
Okay thanks. So both Mike and Maryanne are in the final 4. Assuming Romeo is seen as the ultimate goat, it will be either Lindsey or Jonathan leaving in the final 5. If one of them wins immunity (likely) the other is doomed. No shot in the dark past final 6.

And to top that off, nobody knows about Maryanne's idol. Let's hope she can keep her mouth shut about it. In hindsight, it was a good idea for her to let each side know about the extra vote because it made them both feel comfortable.
The previews showed some kind of scramble. Lindsay was saying, "If I don't find this, I'm gone", or something to that nature. I wonder if Jonathan wins immunity, and Lindsay is scrambling to find an idol. If she does, perhaps Romeo gets advantageddoned out.

PUSH

Original Poster
I'm glad this came down to a strategic vote, and not Omar getting advantaged out.

My only misgiving is that Drea shouldn't have blown up Omar's game after she was voted out. Maybe everyone already knew he was a threat, but I don't like it. It should be up to him to reveal or hide his role in that move, to the degree one can.

The dream move would be Mike actually playing his idol for Maryanne as he said he would, and then she turns around and plays hers for someone else, sending Mike home.

Plurality votes like this are fun because the players have the power to save themselves. Had Lindsay and Omar voted for Romeo, they are safe.
I forgot Mike promised to use his idol for Maryanne. If he keeps his promise, which is a huge if, Maryanne could take Mike's immunity, then use her idol on whoever the target is, and then vote Mike out. That would be another massive move for her.

Jedijax719

If they could somehow get rid of Mike, that would be classic. I like Mike a lot but it would be a huge blindside. They've all got to assess the threats. Romeo is no threat at all so everyone should want to take him to the end. Everyone else has SOME level of threat.

Last season we were only led to believe that Ricard or Erika were really true threats. Deshawn was a mess. Heather was a non-entity, and Xander was never mentioned by anyone to be a threat. This season everyone except for Romeo has been suggested as being a threat to win. That had been the case since the final 8. That shows the quality of this season's cast.

Wendy Pleakley

The previews showed some kind of scramble. Lindsay was saying, "If I don't find this, I'm gone", or something to that nature. I wonder if Jonathan wins immunity, and Lindsay is scrambling to find an idol. If she does, perhaps Romeo gets advantageddoned out.

I'm hoping they're only assuming an idol is in play but there actually isn't. Three idols at the final five breaks the game. Survivor where a vote doesn't take place goes against the core of the game. Once was enough for the shock value.

PUSH

Original Poster
I'm hoping they're only assuming an idol is in play but there actually isn't. Three idols at the final five breaks the game. Survivor where a vote doesn't take place goes against the core of the game. Once was enough for the shock value.
I totally agree. I do think there will be some kind of twist/advantage, though. They are starting over on a new island. Typically when that happens, it's because there' some kind of twist. In this era of Survivor, nobody really cares that they have to "rough it" again and start over.

PUSH

Original Poster
I'm trying to predict the rest of the season, but I just can't. There are way too many variables in play. Does Maryanne tell people about her idol, or does she keep it secret and negate votes? That could alter who goes home. Does Mike play his idol for himself or Maryanne? Who wins immunity at the final five? What other twists and advantages will come into play? Who wins final 4 immunity, and what is their decision with fire?

I have a feeling it's going to be either Maryanne or Lindsay up against Jonathan and Romeo in the final Tribal Council. Jonathan will be the one we'll be led to believe has a shot, although he won't win. Similar to Xander last season, but I think Jonathan receives a couple votes. Maybe Rocksroy or Mike if he's on the jury. Although I could see Mike being the decoy winner, too. I think Romeo will be a zero vote finalist, unless something crazy happens with idols or advantages.

I am leaning towards Maryanne being the winner at this point, but right now I prefer Lindsay.

My dream would be Maryanne and Lindsay both in the final three, fighting for the title. I think a Maryanne, Lindsay, Mike final three would be great.

artvandelay

probably some kind of an advantage in the final 5 immunity challenge. In 41 I think Erika won an advantage that let her skip to the second part of the challenge.

Wendy Pleakley

probably some kind of an advantage in the final 5 immunity challenge. In 41 I think Erika won an advantage that let her skip to the second part of the challenge.

Oh right. I forgot about that. I must have blocked it from my memory.

They competed to find an advantage, which Erika did, and it resulted in her winning the first immunity challenge of the finale.

Ugh.

PUSH

Original Poster
Clay Jordan, runner-up of Survivor: Thailand has passed away. There was speculation a few days ago, but the official Survivor social media accounts confirmed it today.

PUSH

Original Poster
It's finale night! I can't believe how fast this season has gone. Barring something terrible happening in the finale, this is a top 10 season of Survivor. The cast made this one fantastic.

Here is the order of who I think is winning:
  1. Maryanne
  2. Lindsay
  3. Mike
  4. Jonathan
  5. Romeo
Here is the order of who I want to win:
  1. Lindsay
  2. Maryanne
  3. Mike
  4. Romeo
  5. Jonathan
Here is how I predict the rest of the eliminations will pan out:
5th place: Lindsay​
4th place: Mike​
3rd place: Romeo​
2nd place: Jonathan​
1st place: Maryanne​
Mike and Jonathan could also be swapped around, but I think Jonathan is more likely to win the final immunity.

PUSH

Original Poster
Well I wasn't far off with my predictions. Especially since I said Mike and Jonathan could flip spots.

We've never had a winner like Maryanne. Her endgame and performance and the final Tribal Council totally did it or her, and Mike proved his flawed game with a rather weak performance.

I don't think Maryanne is the best winner of all-time, but she definitely has done more than some. After Lindsay was voted out, and Maryanne didn't play her idol on her, I was a little let down by whoever the winner would be. But Maryanne articulated her endgame strategy so well, and she did a great job explaining why she couldn't play her idol for Lindsay. Based on the FTC and the reaction to Lindsay's vote out, it seems like she would have won hands-down over anyone else in the final 5. I was really bummed when she left. She was my favorite this season. I hope she comes back some day. She seems like she's someone who will do pretty well no matter what season she's placed on. I think she's probably the most level player from this season when you factor strategy, social, and physical games. It is sad that had she not dropped her board in the challenge, she'd possibly have won. But she has a great attitude.

I LOVED seeing the juror confessionals. It's so much more interesting than hearing the final 3 say how they played their games, or reflect on how much they grew.

I am so over the Simmotion challenge. Go back to the hand on the idol for the final challenge. Or be creative and come up with something new. It's really boring to watch anymore.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more developed thoughts as we get further out from the season. It's always hard to rank players and seasons fresh off of the finale, but I tried anyway.

I currently have Maryanne ranked as the 26th best winner. She is behind Tommy, and oddly enough just ahead of Erika. Although I just dropped Erika 5 or 6 spots, as the recency bias took over when I ranked her. It's possible the same happened for Maryanne, so her ranking could change in the future. However, she did have a pretty strong endgame.

I currently have Survivor 42 ranked as the 7th best season of all time, just behind The Amazon and just ahead of Winners at War.

This is the part I have the hardest time with... ranking players overall. It's just so hard with all the different factors. But for right now my highest rankings players from the season are (all of these are out of every Survivor player ever)...

Omar at #23
Lindsay at #30
Drea at #99
Maryanne at #100
Mike at #108
Hai at #131
Jonathan at #198
Romeo at #262

I'm very happy with this season overall, and I'm already wishing Survivor 43 was on. It's going to be a long offseason.

RobbOmega

@PUSH - Yeah, you definitely weren't far off!

My list was extremely similar (was the same as your "want to win" list), though I still wish we got that Lindsay / MaryAnne final tribal to see if our feelings on her game were correct, as I had her in the lead going into the finale. I also gave a little more credit to Romeo, and think that if in some strange universe there was only a final 2 with he and Jonathan, I think Romeo would end up winning that since Jonathan had a few folks on the jury that did not want to vote for him imo and Romeo had a better story.

But yeah, crazy to see the lopsided vote count that Maryanne was able to get, just validates my thoughts on Mike as well that he was a bit erratic and gullible. A few of his votes didn't make sense or was just straight up manipulated to change his mind so easily (Rocksroy and Hai), or from the edit just didn't make a lot of sense (voting for Romeo instead of Omar, because in my mind even if an idol was played Jonathan was going anyways so might as well have been on the right side of that one for your resume). In the end that vote ended up sealing it for Maryanne in retrospect, and solidified Mike as almost like a Pseudo goat with no chance to win...and also oblivious since he then played an idol for Maryanne (whether she needed it or not), a person that turns out he had no shot of defeating and needed to find a way to get her out).

All in all enjoyed the season a lot (definitely more then 41), and think we have a very deserving sole survivor. There are a number of folks I would love to see again in some kind of second chance type deal which include Drea, Chenelle, Omar, Mike, Lindsay and even Rocksroy honestly for kicks.

Wendy Pleakley

Definitely one of the more satisfying finales I can think of. Maryanne had a long-term and a short-term plan, she executed it, and she sold it.

I think everyone and their dog kind of knew Maryanne would win based on the edit shifting towards her in such a positive light. This is demonstrated by Mike and Jonathan pointing out the Omar vote was not solely her plan, yet the show really sold it as Maryanne's big move.

Overall, I think the editing was good. It focused on the power players at the appropriate time. I think they could have had a bit more balance in the last few weeks to make us believe Mike stood a better chance.

An advantage at the final five immunity challenge is still bad. Do it earlier in the season and the whole hunting for a landmark would be fun, here it's too imbalanced. Do it at the merge instead of the stupid hourglass, so even if someone does get the win as a result the vote and outcome isn't dramatically swayed.

I'd be okay if the challenge had multiple rounds and someone got to skip the first elimination round, but as is I don't like it. Much like do or die, we were lucky as viewers that it didn't change the outcome and we got an interesting vote. It was a fairly obvious decision but we got to see things like Maryanne deciding whether or not to save Lindsay.

The Simmotion challenge is good in that it doesn't favour any one type of player, but I agree that they should mix it up a bit.

Having people talk at the reunion between bites of pizza continues to be cheesy (pun intended) and does not enhance the viewing experience.

PUSH

Original Poster
There's some info coming out about season 43, so I started a new thread for the new season. Check it out! I'm impatiently waiting for a new season of Survivor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom