Survey: Life in Florida is getting worse

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
From the Orlando Sentinel

Survey results reveal residents' growing discontent with life in Florida
A survey reveals increasing dissatisfaction with life in Florida. The discontent may be an early warning sign, analysts say.

Maya Bell

Sentinel Staff Writer

January 14, 2008

Long a powerful magnet, Florida is losing some of its luster as pessimism about the quality of life in paradise grows stronger.

Nearly half of the Floridians polled for the second-annual Sunshine State Survey say life in Florida is worse today than it was five years ago, and 37 percent think the decline will continue during the next five years. Among the chief concerns: high property taxes and homeowners insurance, so-so public schools, and ineffective growth management.

As a result, one in three Floridians would tell a loved one or friend not to move to the once-vaunted Sunshine State, and one in five is seriously considering moving elsewhere.

"Think about it: Your best friend from college called you up and said, 'Hey, we're thinking about moving to Florida and you said, 'Don't come,' " said Brad Coker, managing partner for Mason-Dixon Polling & Research Inc., which conducted the phone survey in late November. "That's noteworthy. Ten years ago, I don't think you would have seen those kinds of numbers. Everybody was moving here. Everyone wanted to be here."

The annual survey was established last year to identify issues of growing public concern and, when necessary, motivate policymakers to do something about them. Sponsors plan to ask the same set of core questions every year to give policymakers an accurate gauge of public opinion.

And after just one year, the survey has pinpointed a significant shift in how Floridians feel about living here. Last year, 36 percent said life in Florida was worse than it had been five years earlier. Today, the number has jumped to 43 percent. Meanwhile, the number of people who think life in Florida is better now than five years ago fell to just 15 percent, from 18 percent a year ago.

Putting those stats together shows that pessimists outnumbered optimists 2-to-1 last year -- and 3-to-1 this year.

While the majority of Floridians are planning to stay put and still would urge others to come here, analysts say the increasing number of those dissatisfied with life here should be treated as an early warning signal.

"You have to look at these things as blinking caution lights," said Susan MacManus, a political scientist at the University of South Florida who came up with the idea for the annual poll. "These numbers definitely warrant attention if Florida is to remain a desirable place to live, work and play."

Conducted in late November with 1,200 randomly selected residents across the state, the survey also gives some good clues about what's bugging Floridians. Catapulting from No. 5 on last year's list of top concerns to No. 1 this year are taxes and government spending.

More Floridians cited property taxes as the most unfair source of government revenue and the single biggest stressor on their household finances. Taxes on gas were the second-most-unpopular revenue source, and gas prices the second-most-cited financial stressor. Home insurance was third.

Public schools also remained a top concern, dropping from No. 1 last year to No. 2 this year. Floridians gave their local public schools only marginally favorable ratings but were overwhelmingly positive about the state's universities and colleges. Increased teacher pay was cited most often as a priority for local school districts.

On another hot-button issue, a majority of Floridians think illegal immigration is a serious problem for the state and support tough measures against illegal migrants and employers who hire them. Yet 59 percent think illegal immigrants fill jobs few others will do.

The survey was commissioned by Leadership Florida, a leadership-training group in Tallahassee, and its partners, the Florida Philanthropic Network and The Jessie Ball duPont Fund. Participants included Floridians from every region -- 18 percent of them from the Orlando/Daytona Beach area -- and every income bracket and age range of at least 18 years.

But unlike the population at large, the overwhelming majority of the respondents -- 82 percent -- were registered voters. They also were mostly white homeowners who have lived in Florida for at least 10 years. Almost half -- 47 percent -- have lived here for at least 20 years.

The survey has a margin of error of 2.1 percentage points.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
My opinion is mirrored among many of my Floridian friends, that Florida was unofficially known as the second chance state for many new residents- a chance for a clean slate for those who wanted one (whether or not the second chance was deserved). In essence, Florida got every flake across the nation that f!!!ed up in their home state, along with those who truly deserved a second chance.

Compound this with the increase in crime across Florida's metropolitan areas, and I can understand why there is a noticeable minority of Floridians (20%) who want to leave. I know I did.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Poll anyone about where they live and I bet you will get the same percentage of people that respond "don't move here".

TTATraveler

I can understand why people are disgusted with Florida and I have only been here for 4 months. Compared to New Jersey (my previous home state), most things are still cheaper. In my opinion, there are some serious issues in regards to long term planning and development. The current infrastructure of the Orlando metropolitan area rots and cannot handle the day to day traffic. Without a reliable and solid mass transportation system, this area will only get worse. This area also seems to be built on low paying minimal wage jobs and not so much on professional jobs, which explains the affordability issues. These two issues alone jeopardize the attractiveness of Central Florida.

I could go on for longer, but all and all my issues become diluted when I think about not having to shovel snow and ice and the fact that I was able to afford a townhouse here, something that would have taken much longer to afford in NJ.

coasterphil

I've been less than thrilled with life in Orlando, but I'm not sure how much of that I can contribute to the area itself as opposed to personal issues that don't really have to do with where I live.

flynnibus

Premium Member
sounds a bit of whiney about the taxes. The state has no income tax, low sales taxes, low gas taxes, etc.

We have property tax on our homes... our cars.. boats.. planes.. any of that type of stuff. We have income taxes, we have soaring property assessments (mine has gone up over 30% in a single year before), higher gas taxes, similar sales taxes, etc etc etc.

Florida residents should be complaining about the stuff that is going to choke their lifestyle... the rampent sprawl... the miserable traffic... etc.

awalkinthepark

sounds a bit of whiney about the taxes. The state has no income tax, low sales taxes, low gas taxes, etc.

We have property tax on our homes... our cars.. boats.. planes.. any of that type of stuff. We have income taxes, we have soaring property assessments (mine has gone up over 30% in a single year before), higher gas taxes, similar sales taxes, etc etc etc.

Florida residents should be complaining about the stuff that is going to choke their lifestyle... the rampent sprawl... the miserable traffic... etc.

I think that the property taxes are ok (I pay 2k per year for a property valued around 175k) yes I am jealous that my neighbors only pay $800 per year because they moved here 4 years before we did..but I'll get over it.

I think how the counties are spending the money is down right scary...I wish more money was spent on teachers and the schools than on palm trees in medians. I drive through a city every other week and they ALWAYS have a crew of 8-10 city employees changing out flowers in a median..not weeding...not cleaning up trash..they are digging out flowers that were planted 2 weeks ago to replace them with new flowers...I don't even think Disney changes out plantings that often.

The insurance situation is ridiculous down here....State Farm offered me a $300 discount if I dropped my sinkhole coverage..I probably should have taken the discount...I'm not all the confident that State Farm actually pays out on claims anyway...the state is finally playing tough and putting a thumb down on AllState...whether they maintain the pressure remains to be seen ..they tend to back down once things start going to court.

Wages are the biggest issue not high enough.....even for positions not related to tourism. Not a lot of employee appreciation down here.

mary219

try living in NY.It gets worse all the time.Crime is down so they say,but around me it is not great.Lots of guns and gang activity.And i live in a middle class neighborhood.We can not even send our children to the zoned high school which is 4 blocks from my home.it is designated one of the 10 worst high schools in the city.At dismissal,you would think you were in a war zone.The amount of police that are used everyday to ensure that people are safe from the "students" as they are dismissed.Its a damn shame because it is a handful that make it so bad for the rest of the kids.

The gang activity in the housing projects that are directly across from the high school is crazy.it is amazing to me that i can walk four blocks to my right and be in gangland and walk 4 blocks to my left and its a different world.

Not to mention,the cost of living.I know its up everywhere but in NY ,its out of control.I can actually say I really cant afford to live here anymore.As soon as my children are done with school,i am out of here.I will go up into the poconos or upstate ny.At least ,there i can afford a home.It may not be the best,but it has to be better than this.I would love to move to florida and stay in a rural area.The cities in the northeast are done as far as i am concerned.

lunalovegoddess

I liked living in Orlando, overall, but I had a lot of issues with lack of dependable transportation and the homeowners associations that led to our exodus. That and the fact that the cost of living was rising. Property tax was insane for East Orlando. Plus, finding a job was extremely difficult. At first, my husband worked for Disney, but his pay barely covered gas and food. It took a long time for him to find a new job, and although he loved it, they did not provide any benefits. So that factored in on our plans to move as well.

On the positive side, the climate was humid but not unbearable most days. The local elementary school was one of the best in the area, and I am very thankful that our kids went there. There was no shortage of things to do, so long as you had the cash to do them. I really miss hanging out with my best friends there, but many of them moved out-of-state last year as well, so there really was little reason to stay and tough things out there.

Guardian

Well, I hope things will improve in the few years time from now. I have been getting myself to find out more information on how to maximize my possible stay in Florida in a few years, despite on what I am seeing and reading lately about the state.

You see, I was at WDW for the very first time last month. When I got to hear one of Orlando's local news shows and reading articles from the Orlando Sentinel during that time, I get the feeling that the general area is not what it seems. Of course, being a Canadian on top of that, I admit that ignorance plays a factor here. There are going to be good and bad areas. My Cast Member friend and his wife were lucky that they are staying near the WDW resort with a fellow Cast Member and his family. All together, they all managed just fine in that house so far.

Plutofan

try living in NY.It gets worse all the time.Crime is down so they say,but around me it is not great.Lots of guns and gang activity.And i live in a middle class neighborhood.We can not even send our children to the zoned high school which is 4 blocks from my home.it is designated one of the 10 worst high schools in the city.At dismissal,you would think you were in a war zone.The amount of police that are used everyday to ensure that people are safe from the "students" as they are dismissed.Its a damn shame because it is a handful that make it so bad for the rest of the kids.

The gang activity in the housing projects that are directly across from the high school is crazy.it is amazing to me that i can walk four blocks to my right and be in gangland and walk 4 blocks to my left and its a different world.

Not to mention,the cost of living.I know its up everywhere but in NY ,its out of control.I can actually say I really cant afford to live here anymore.As soon as my children are done with school,i am out of here.I will go up into the poconos or upstate ny.At least ,there i can afford a home.It may not be the best,but it has to be better than this.I would love to move to florida and stay in a rural area.The cities in the northeast are done as far as i am concerned.

Amen Mary,

I totally agree with you. I was born and raised in Harlem. When it was time to find my own apt. I ended up in the Bronx because the rents became too high. ($2000+ a month for a two bedroom with a kitchenette the size of a matchbox). My husband and I are totally ready to move. I just can't take spending my entire check on rent each month. Add the snow, cold and $86 for a monthly metrocard on top of that and I'm really sick and tired. We have been concidering Florida for a long time...but the only chance I would have to make decent money down there is to apply for a job as a social worker with the VA. :shrug:

The Mom

Premium Member
I think it all depends on where you live.

ITA!!! FL is more than Orlando and Miami. I would NEVER live in those areas.

People who have visited here from "up north" are always surprised, because they had no idea (having only been in Orlando) that this sort of neighborhood even exists in FL. I'm careful not to bring them to MY favorite FL getaway (other then WDW) as it isn't overrun by tourists...yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom