Trip Report Surprise Visit. 2 nights, 1day, 4 Parks?

Why wouldn’t it be, right?

For those who don’t know, we had a 2 week Disney Cruise/WDW vacay scheduled last year. Due to issues at work I had to cut the trip to 9 days. Gave my son the choice between the DCL Fantasy or Disney World.
Much to my surprise, he chose WDW. I lost a portion of my cruise fare to Disney, as I had already made the final payment.

Fast forward to this year’s “Disney Trip” it was also a cruise combo.. and then.. Irma happened. No, she didn’t mess with my trip dates, but she did mess with a region that is dear to my heart- the Florida Keys.

Talked to my son, we made the collective decision to cancel the WDW portion and go to the Keys instead. So I cancelled all Disney reservations, and made new ones for Key West. Contacted volunteer organizations in the Middle Keys so we could help out.

And Then...the drama...
One day last month, my kid comes home from school with a “Reconciliation” project for religion class. I look at the school calendar to remind myself of when he made his first reconciliation. And., my heart sunk in my chest. It was the day that we were supposed to arrive home from our trip.
How could this happen?? How did I not realize this???

I scramble to find earlier return flights and to somehow fix this. I think about doing a pre cruise instead of post cruise trip.. but... end of semester gets in the way.

However, If we can’t go to Key West then at least we can go back to a version of our original Disney plans.,. But there’s No Availability!!!

Then I debate just staying in Miami, or Ft Lauderdale,...book the W in Ft Lauderdale, and then a week later change my mind, cancel, and book our regular resort in Boca Raton.

Flights at this point are insanely priced., I have to eat the cost of the originals non refundable flights.. It’s like deja vu!

I kept checking Disney’s website daily, I kept checking flights daily..played with dates a bit.. booked a one way flight to MCO and a one way flight from MCO to FLL...and FINALLY late Friday Night, November 10th, I got a reservation at Disney!!
Even if it wasn’t my preferred dates.

Hooray, right?!?! I look at Disney’s Park Hours.. BOTH of our nights are MVMCP nights. BOTH. Back to Back.
Oh well, no Happily Ever After viewing for us :(. We’ll still be in Disney!

Sounds good now.. there’s a plan. All that’s left to do it book return flights the following Sunday evening.
Piece of cake.
But....

Which brings us to an hour ago. Sunday, November 12th. I. Can’t. Do. It. I can not bring myself to pay these stupid plane fares for a 2.5 hour flight. The times are also a mess, leaving Orlando super early. I just can’t do it. I’m far from cheap, but I’m not stupid.. and purchasing those flights made me feel like a complete idiot... Especially when I still couldn’t get the return time that we need...

Soooo... we’re driving!!!
Myself and a 7 year old. Driving from Ohio to Florida. Over 1200 Miles one way.

This Should Be Interesting.

Kiddo is not happy about driving.. I pitched it as a ‘Super Awesome Road Trip!” His response- “Uh, Mom, planes were made so people don’t have to drive to far places.”
“Sorry kiddo, we’re driving.”
“Ugh. Can I bring my tablet?”
“Yes.”
“Can I play it as much as I want.”
“Yes.”
“Ok, fine. But wait, can you really drive all by yourself? All the way to the cruise?”
“I’ll be fine, we’re going to stop at a hotel along the way so we can sleep.”
“Ok mommy. Sounds like a plan.”

Little does he know.. that “hotel” is actually at Disney World.. and we’re breaking up our drive with 2 nights of “magic”.
That part I’m keeping a complete surprise.

Btw- we leave Wednesday evening. As in THREE days from now.

My head is spinning.

I swear that I can not mesh with more than 1 week vacations the past 12 months.. no matter how well I “planned in advance”.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
He’s not getting much for Christmas this year. The only thing he’s asked for is a game console and a few games. And Legos.
That’s it!

I guess I should be thankful, but our tree skirt is going to look empty this year.lol
Maybe it will be the first year in the past 7 where I will actually get to sleep before 5am on Christmas Eve.

Pixieish

21stamps

Original Poster
Had to share this with all of you..(I didn’t buy it lol)

17B7593D-DE88-4EF0-AB90-85E514DB2C40.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster
No dabs when he wakes up at 6am.lol

Is it time for another vacation yet????!!!
I HATE Sunday mornings 7:55am soccer practice. :(.. actually, I hate Sundays in general right now..counting down the days til our next break!
Hoping to find time for a haircut sometime today.. T is currently growing out the top of his hair so he can have a “man bun” :joyfull:

7269F287-A422-43C9-8643-A6E0061D3FAC.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster
Ok guys.. I FINALLY found a moment to take T for a haircut. That photo from this morning put me over the edge.

He’s back to normal now... if I would have held off any longer he would have probably cut it himself again. Can’t go thru that twice.lol
987CB32C-6AC5-47B7-BE97-3C92DC4B794B.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom