Surprise, surprise! The Nutcracker movie stinks.

RobbinsDad

Original Poster
And before you tell me critics don't represent the public, the movie is projected to gain around 20 million in its first weekend. Flop city.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Jon-Stewart-Eagerly-Watching-Eating-His-Popcorn-On-The-Daily-Show_408x408.jpg

note2001

I don't suspect I will like the movie at all, but that's because I grew up listening and dancing to the music as instrumental only with ballet telling the story.

Those who know it in book form, or from cartoon adaptations may love it. The world has changed and there are more young families out there who this will appeal to.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I don't suspect I will like the movie at all, but that's because I grew up listening and dancing to the music as instrumental only with ballet telling the story.

Those who know it in book form, or from cartoon adaptations may love it. The world has changed and there are more young families out there who this will appeal to.

It changed significantly since Щелкунчик, Балет-феерия debuted in Petrograd in 1892, I bet its original choerography was significantly different than what you were taught.

RobbinsDad

Original Poster
My post has nothing to do with this particular movie and whether or not I will enjoy it (probably not), it's another example in a long line of expensive mistakes by WDS in adapting new material into live action movies. Basically, they suck at it now. This is the studio that has brought us countless live action classics - from storybook adaptations like Mary Poppins and SFR, true stories like Davy Crockett or Remember the Titans, or original stories like Herbie and Tron. Now they can't even get a story as timeless as The Nutcracker right. How many big budget flops will they go through before original live action content is nixed? Answer: No more. Timmy Failure - their next live action movie based on new adapted material is going straight to the new streaming service - no theatrical release.

KBLovedDisney

My post has nothing to do with this particular movie and whether or not I will enjoy it (probably not), it's another example in a long line of expensive mistakes by WDS in adapting new material into live action movies. Basically, they suck at it now. This is the studio that has brought us countless live action classics - from storybook adaptations like Mary Poppins and SFR, true stories like Davy Crockett or Remember the Titans, or original stories like Herbie and Tron. Now they can't even get a story as timeless as The Nutcracker right. How many big budget flops will they go through before original live action content is nixed? Answer: No more. Timmy Failure - their next live action movie based on new adapted material is going straight to the new streaming service - no theatrical release.
It's just unfortunate we aren't getting many original ideas from Disney like we used to, but just recreations of stories already done several times over even ones been done by Disney themselves. Like I love the Lion King, but it needs to be left alone. I don't feel so great this direction they are going making everything "live-action", a.k.a. CG-d to death.

KBLovedDisney

Isn't almost all of Disney's Animation a retelling of something?
They were retelling older written tales that didn't originate from Disney. Now, they are just retelling/rehashing their own versions of the stories. Possibly doing this to rekindle more nostalgia and gain more Disney bucks through classics.

Guess they still had some Simba plushies back there in storage that needed to be sold.:cautious:

CJR

I had a feeling they weren't going to be good after Wednesday came and went without any. Disney must have known that it wasn't going to perform well critically. Unfortunately though, it needed to if it was going to have a chance at succeeding in the near term.

The biggest complaint I'm consistently seeing is that it's too short, or something along those lines.

Mmoore29

Another sign Alan Horn's leadership is utterly failing. Given that the live-action division has favored nation status because of Horn running that division while simultaneously being the chairman, it really shows. The successful films in that umbrella are ones he has virtually no say on, and the ones he does personally get involved in and dictate how it's run, they bomb spectacularly. Even if the reviews were better, this film wasn't going to make it, because Bohemian Rhapsody is going to be a juggernaut, regardless of the critics (and Disney will be grateful for owning it after the acquisition). It's time for new blood in the chairman's seat.

Magenta Panther

The film looks too Tim Burton-ish to me. Why is his style of fantasy so popular in Hollywood? And why did Disney make the heroine Clara a grown woman? In the ballet she's a little kid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom