Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

fctiger

Yep, and I expect based on current trends that OC will hit Yellow Tier by May. Which maybe the time when major discussions of removing the color tier all together start to happen by Newsom. As that will be when the rest of Californians who hadn’t been eligible for vaccination will become eligible. I mean he’s already started to talk about it now that more vaccinations are happening daily.

Yep all the odd whining and moaning over the small capacity was always much ado about nothing. It was obvious even if DL opened with the smaller capacity, it was only going to be a few weeks to maybe a month at best because of how fast things are changing now. And yes, they could've just chose to wait (which I thought was a possibility) to open in May or June which my guess is they were probably pushing to originally open anyway. But if they did open with the the smaller attendance, then would've just been a nice test run and then get ready when capacity did expand.

I'm just super happy we are finally on the cusp where life will return to a bit more normalcy again. And I suspect by May ALL the theme parks will be open here again.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yep all the odd whining and moaning over the small capacity was always much ado about nothing. It was obvious even if DL opened with the smaller capacity, it was only going to be a few weeks to maybe a month at best because of how fast things are changing now. And yes, they could've just chose to wait (which I thought was a possibility) to open in May or June which my guess is they were probably pushing to originally open anyway. The smaller attendance would've just been a nice test run and then get ready when capacity expanded.

I'm just super happy we are finally on the cusp where life will return to a bit more normalcy again. And I suspect by May ALL the theme parks will be open here again.
Yep, I mean OC is finally doing better than a lot of the state. And part of that comes from being one of three counties that have gotten the most vaccine doses allocated to them. This is what is keeping the case numbers down with OC giving out almost 1M doses. You know Science and Data!

TP2000

Original Poster
Sitting Inside at the Anaheim White House, about to order Stesk and Lobster.

Guess their clocks got sprung forward early.

I'm still in San Diego this evening. San Diego County is staying in the Purple Tier for now, but you can't tell. It seems more indoor restaurants and indoor bars are open here than even in OC, probably because of the Navy influence and the younger demographics who are ready to party and spend money. 🤣
Currently at GardenWalk. Surprisingly busy. Lots of folks walking around, enjoying life.

The pent up demand for entertainment in SoCal is huge. Most other states reopened their economies months and months ago, so their demand is normalized. This is going to be like V-J Day when it finally ends here in SoCal. 🤣

I asked a friend's son who is in the service what the regs are for dining in San Diego County for servicemen, and mentioned the three Marine officers I saw eating indoors in Carlsbad on my drive down. He said the USN told Sailors that they can't eat indoors or go to bars, but... it lasted for only a few weeks and the USN gave up on it. He wasn't sure what the USMC commanders may be doing at Pendleton, but obviously it's a California-only thing since all the other states with major military installations have reopened and servicemen can eat wherever they want off base.

Yet another example of how these wayward politicians have trained an entire generation of Americans to ignore them whenever they offer "Guidance" or "Mandates" or what have you. The politicians will wish they hadn't blown this opportunity when they really need the general public to obey them, but it's far too late now for Sacramento to put that genie back in its bottle. :rolleyes:

It's nice seeing California reopen indoor dining. I think I've been able to eat inside a restaurant in my state since June or July of last year? I'm forgetting exactly when since it's been so long!

The story of Covid written in 2022 will be really interesting because of the stark differences between the way states handled it all, or even differences between large counties like here in SoCal.

Orange County won't police or enforce any of the Covid mandates from Sacramento, not even Newsom's Mandatory Statewide 10PM Curfew that every In-N-Out in the state made look impotent and pointless. But LA County has been in heavy police mode and in love with whatever Guidance or Mandate that Sacramento releases. Just this weekend there was a restaurant in Burbank trying to offer indoor dining, and LA County was threatening to shut off their water and power to force them to remain closed. :oops:

TP2000

Original Poster
Some photos from STC Anaheim GardenWalk.

What is that FLIGHTDECK place that everyone is waiting in line to get into? Is it the same jet fighter simulators and games that used to be just off the Orange Freeway near the stadium? I'll post your photo below to show what I'm talking about.

So.... people (even Oregonians!!!) can go inside and do a simulator at a mall, but they can't go to Disneyland???

20210313_194337-XL.jpg

Emmanuel

What is that FLIGHTDECK place that everyone is waiting in line to get into? Is it the same jet fighter simulators and games that used to be just off the Orange Freeway near the stadium? I'll post your photo below to show what I'm talking about.

So.... people (even Oregonians!!!) can go inside and do a simulator at a mall, but they can't go to Disneyland???

20210313_194337-XL.jpg

It aint cheap thats for sure

TP2000

Original Poster
It aint cheap thats for sure

Oh, thank you! Yeah, that looks like the same place that used to be just off the Orange Freeway. They moved apparently to GardenWalk.

That 737 Experience looks tempting! As an avid fan of Airport, Airport '75 and Airport '77 (but not Concorde '79 with Martha Raye stuck in the lavatory) I may have to look into that! That could be a fun thing for the guys to go do when the family comes to visit.

But yeah, it's not cheap. Judging from that line to get in though, they don't need to worry about that. Like I said, there is huge pent-up demand for entertainment in SoCal.

And yet they can operate this ride experience, and not even have to worry about Socially Distancing their exterior queue through the mall, but Disney can't be trusted to operate Disneyland and run Pirates of the Caribbean.

Brilliant, Sacramento! Just brilliant! :rolleyes:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Oh, thank you! Yeah, that looks like the same place that used to be just off the Orange Freeway. They moved apparently to GardenWalk.

That 737 Experience looks tempting! As an avid fan of Airport, Airport '75 and Airport '77 (but not Concorde '79 with Martha Raye stuck in the lavatory) I may have to look into that! That could be a fun thing for the guys to go do when the family comes to visit.

But yeah, it's not cheap. Judging from that line to get in though, they don't need to worry about that. Like I said, there is huge pent-up demand for entertainment in SoCal.

And yet they can operate this ride experience, and not even have to worry about Socially Distancing their exterior queue through the mall, but Disney can't be trusted to operate Disneyland and run Pirates of the Caribbean.

Brilliant, Sacramento! Just brilliant! :rolleyes:
There used to be a place up here in Sunnyvale called Magic Edge that did the same thing back in the mid-'90s but went belly up after a couple of years (probably due to the dot com crash). That one had the screens inside the cockpits instead of on a wall.

I'm actually pretty surprised these things still exist given the power of modern GPUs and VR. I have the current Microsoft Flight Sim with VR and aside from the lack of physical movement that the pods at Flightdeck provide, visually I feel like I'm flying a real airplane (since I have a physical yoke and throttle quadrant). You can fly a 747, 787, or Airbus a320 and the mod community adds onto them making them more realistic where all of the actual gauges and flight computers work. The current plane I've been flying a lot is the Cessna Citation CJ4 business jet.

Dogfighting against your friends in an F-18 is a fun experience though.

Darkbeer1

I just couldn't take it. I know the sheer amount of Racist White Patriarchal imagery such as culturally appropriated neon llamas and unmasked Trump voters taking swigs of beverages would drive me up the wall. Shut it all down!

Heck, just the name of a restaurant can trigger folks. (Now open until 3 PM for Breakfast and Lunch.

Plus a place with SUCH Privledge!

cmwade77

I'm still in San Diego this evening. San Diego County is staying in the Purple Tier for now, but you can't tell. It seems more indoor restaurants and indoor bars are open here than even in OC, probably because of the Navy influence and the younger demographics who are ready to party and spend money. 🤣

The pent up demand for entertainment in SoCal is huge. Most other states reopened their economies months and months ago, so their demand is normalized. This is going to be like V-J Day when it finally ends here in SoCal. 🤣

I asked a friend's son who is in the service what the regs are for dining in San Diego County for servicemen, and mentioned the three Marine officers I saw eating indoors in Carlsbad on my drive down. He said the USN told Sailors that they can't eat indoors or go to bars, but... it lasted for only a few weeks and the USN gave up on it. He wasn't sure what the USMC commanders may be doing at Pendleton, but obviously it's a California-only thing since all the other states with major military installations have reopened and servicemen can eat wherever they want off base.

Yet another example of how these wayward politicians have trained an entire generation of Americans to ignore them whenever they offer "Guidance" or "Mandates" or what have you. The politicians will wish they hadn't blown this opportunity when they really need the general public to obey them, but it's far too late now for Sacramento to put that genie back in its bottle. :rolleyes:

The story of Covid written in 2022 will be really interesting because of the stark differences between the way states handled it all, or even differences between large counties like here in SoCal.

Orange County won't police or enforce any of the Covid mandates from Sacramento, not even Newsom's Mandatory Statewide 10PM Curfew that every In-N-Out in the state made look impotent and pointless. But LA County has been in heavy police mode and in love with whatever Guidance or Mandate that Sacramento releases. Just this weekend there was a restaurant in Burbank trying to offer indoor dining, and LA County was threatening to shut off their water and power to force them to remain closed. :oops:
I am actually concerned about how heavy the demand is going to be, I think the state made a huge mistake keeping things closed this long and it is going to backfire big time.

Even LA County gave up on enforcing in many places, there were a lot of places allowing outdoor, then indoor dining. I only saw one location that was forced to put up a sign saying they were in violation of the orders, but they were allowed to continue operating indoors before the county hit red tier.

As for San Diego County, I think it will hit red tier this week or next at the latest.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

1615861111282.png

I am actually concerned about how heavy the demand is going to be, I think the state made a huge mistake keeping things closed this long and it is going to backfire big time.

Even LA County gave up on enforcing in many places, there were a lot of places allowing outdoor, then indoor dining. I only saw one location that was forced to put up a sign saying they were in violation of the orders, but they were allowed to continue operating indoors before the county hit red tier.

As for San Diego County, I think it will hit red tier this week or next at the latest.

TP2000

Original Poster

As seen in Emannuel's post just above, they just did. Congrats! But I don't think it matters any longer.

I was in San Diego all last weekend and I ate out the entire time because the old family beach house hadn't been stocked with food since October. La Jolla and coastal San Diego county was full of restaurants and bars openly violating the ban on indoor dining, and things seemed just as lax as Orange County.

This game is over. Sacramento can't move the goalposts fast enough, and they are already moving them just as quickly as they can while they try to save face as much as possible.

For example; Orange County didn't actually enter the Red Tier last week, Sacramento just changed the rules on what the Red Tier means so that more counties could reach it. Presto! Instant Red Tier! :rolleyes:

DisneyEthan

In a new guideline released today by the state of California, they are recommending you do not scream on any theme park attraction when the parks open up, what are your thoughts on this recommendation?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom