Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

TP2000

Original Poster
In a earthquake rich state, fracking seems like a bad idea.
Newsome could lose the vote of all the people who are huge fans of fracking!!
We love earthquakes and poisoned ground water! You can't take that away from us!

Wait a minute, this thought just occurred to me....

Did you two folks not realize that Fracking has been allowed and has been happening at hundreds of sites across California's oil fields for over a decade??? And that even during the Gavin Newsom administration, Sacramento has been approving dozens of new Fracking well sites each year???

And they've been Fracking here for years, and we are all still here. Drinking ground water daily, and not falling into the ocean daily. Despite the widespread use of Fracking across California. Some Fracking wells are literally just a few miles north of Disneyland in Orange County.

You both knew that, right? Or did you think Fracking was something only naughty Texans did? :oops:

Yeah, I don't like Newsom and I don't like fracking, the two aren't mutually exclusive and I know there are people who have jobs that depend on fracking, but we need to come up with a better system as it is damaging our environment dramatically.

How so? Fracking is a modern miracle that has been happening in the USA for over 15 years, and in California for over a decade.

What water supply in California has been poisoned because of Fracking? What environmental damage has been done that isn't done by traditional oil and natural gas extraction? Do you not use oil or natural gas? Because I do. I use both daily; they heat my home, power my cars, cook my dinner, warm my shower, and comprise countless amounts of plastics and consumer products and pharmaceuticals inside my house that I use daily. Even some of the clothes I wear have petroleum products from Fracking in the polyester fibers. (Though if you corner me on it, I'll claim I only wear cashmere and silk.)

How do you live a life in the 21st century without using petroleum products??? o_O

Last edited:

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Drove down to San Diego for the weekend.

Drove by Pacers, their entire parking lot is now an Inside-out Restaurant, only a Valet stand next to the sidewalk to deal with cars.

And , no, I did not stop, just drove by doing a couple of errands visiting friends/clients.

But maybe tomorrow on my Birthday.... But since I want to remain Happily Married, think I will have a meal elsewhere.

I love one of the ads on their digital Ad board in front of the building

>>$2 Steaks every Tuesday, Pairs well with *****<< (Slang term that begins with a B for a woman's chest))

Two days after my birthday! Happy Birthday DB!

SuddenStorm

Drove down to San Diego for the weekend.

Drove by Pacers, their entire parking lot is now an Inside-out Restaurant, only a Valet stand next to the sidewalk to deal with cars.

And , no, I did not stop, just drove by doing a couple of errands visiting friends/clients.

But maybe tomorrow on my Birthday.... But since I want to remain Happily Married, think I will have a meal elsewhere.

I love one of the ads on their digital Ad board in front of the building

>>$2 Steaks every Tuesday, Pairs well with *****<< (Slang term that begins with a B for a woman's chest))

Happy birthday! Make it a great one.

NobodyElse

Their vaccination sites are most likely to be used as a business tax write off.

Not saying these things aren't positive to the
community, but with Disney every dollar spent has to account for something.

I'm behind, so this may have already been addressed, but in this case is Disney providing anything other than access to an unused parking lot?

Darkbeer1

I'm behind, so this may have already been addressed, but in this case is Disney providing anything other than access to an unused parking lot?

CM's have volunteered.

Disney has provided site security, things like electronic signage, some parking CM's, maintaining the restroom buildings and other small things. Also having the TDA create press announcements and opportunities, which is very beneficial to the County to meet Federal requirements.

Stevek

The DVC Units open in May, the majority of the GCH will remain closed.
I'm assuming DVC guests will get priority for the Food Festival as long as it's still going on at that point...which I have no reason to believe they won't keep it going until they can open the parks.

Darkbeer1

>>The powerful Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors went on record Tuesday in support of Assembly Bill 420, which seeks to let theme parks reopen earlier than California Governor Gavin Newsom has allowed.

Supervisor Kathryn Barger recommended that the board back the bipartisan bill by Assembly members Sharon Quirk-Silva and Suzette Martinez Valladares. The bill would amend the state’s industry guidance to allow amusement and theme parks to open once a region is in the moderate or orange risk tier rather than the lower minimal or yellow tier.<<

Barger sent a letter of support to the bill’s sponsors earlier this month.

“With full outdoor operations and the ability to maintain physical distancing, theme parks across the country have proven that they can safely reopen,” Barger wrote. “Large theme parks nationwide began reopening last summer and there (have) not yet been any outbreaks or spread from these establishments.”

Barger said that densely populated counties such as Los Angeles would have a very difficult time meeting the minimal risk tier criteria of less than one daily case of COVID per 100,000 residents and a test positivity rate of less than 2%, which she said was unwarranted.

She cited a Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation report that the amusement, gambling, and recreation sector has experienced the highest percentage of job losses in the county, with more than 98% of jobs lost in the earliest months of the pandemic.

Most of those impacted are low-income workers with an average salary of $32,000 per year, according to the LAEDC study.

The board’s vote was unanimous.<<

TP2000

Original Poster
>>The powerful Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors went on record Tuesday in support of Assembly Bill 420, which seeks to let theme parks reopen earlier than California Governor Gavin Newsom has allowed.

Supervisor Kathryn Barger recommended that the board back the bipartisan bill by Assembly members Sharon Quirk-Silva and Suzette Martinez Valladares. The bill would amend the state’s industry guidance to allow amusement and theme parks to open once a region is in the moderate or orange risk tier rather than the lower minimal or yellow tier.<<

Barger sent a letter of support to the bill’s sponsors earlier this month.

“With full outdoor operations and the ability to maintain physical distancing, theme parks across the country have proven that they can safely reopen,” Barger wrote. “Large theme parks nationwide began reopening last summer and there (have) not yet been any outbreaks or spread from these establishments.”

Barger said that densely populated counties such as Los Angeles would have a very difficult time meeting the minimal risk tier criteria of less than one daily case of COVID per 100,000 residents and a test positivity rate of less than 2%, which she said was unwarranted.

She cited a Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation report that the amusement, gambling, and recreation sector has experienced the highest percentage of job losses in the county, with more than 98% of jobs lost in the earliest months of the pandemic.

Most of those impacted are low-income workers with an average salary of $32,000 per year, according to the LAEDC study.

The board’s vote was unanimous.<<

Whaaat??? The Science & Data has changed that much in the last 90 days that LA County thinks Universal Studios shouldn't have to wait until the Yellow Tier to reopen???

How is that possible? Have they lost their minds?

Or, more likely, do they simply know the political winds have shifted and it's time Newsom reversed his previous decision? ;)

Darkbeer1

So a quick report about my trip, focusing on COVID protocols.

Drove down Friday, got a late start, so passed on LEGOLAND.

Checked into the Hotel, unpacked, then drove around the Ocean Beach/Loma Portal area, mainly checking out some of my old stomping grounds.

Picked up dinner at Sushi Freak, and brought it back to the Hotel to eat.

Saturday morning, got up, got the "Grab and Go Breakfast", glad we brought some food and drink of our own. (A Brown bag that had a bottle of water, a pre-packaged muffin (reminded me of the Nursing Home) and an Orange.

Left the Hotel at 9AM, for the 10 minute drive to SWSD. Surprisingly the parking toll booths didn't open until 9:40, for a 10 AM opening.

SWSD is using their Parade Building/Tent as their Health Screening. Walk in one side, walk by stored floats, and a temperature screener (like Knott's) and exit the other. Then regular screening and a modified entrance queue designed for 6 foot distancing.

First show we sent to was Rescue Tails in the Pet's Rule facility. They had two "traveling educators" bringing out the animals normally brought to classrooms as ambassadors. Not a bad program while the regular school visits are on hiatus due to COVID.

The seating was scaled down and marked with red and green strips. After the show was over, they had a couple of guest ambassadors with flags, that controlled the exiting to have folks leave spread out in an ordinary fashion. (All shows were like that)

20210220_104411-XL.jpg

20210220_112735-XL.jpg

Both of us had the meal plan, so 12 items in total (2 cans of soda or a bottle of water equaled one food item). All items were packaged in to go containers with plastic lids.

All indoor venues were closed, outdoor viewing had plastic partitions to separate groups.

20210220_103448-XL.jpg

Plus queues to limit the groups in the area.

20210220_103326-XL.jpg

Stayed open to after closing, had a great day, felt safe.

They also had relaxation zones.

20210220_120743-X2.jpg

And for those roller coaster fans, Sunday morning, drove next to SWSD (Boat Launch) to watch some testing of Emperor.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster

Checked into the Hotel, unpacked, then drove around the Ocean Beach/Loma Portal area, mainly checking out some of my old stomping grounds.

Saturday morning, got up, got the "Grab and Go Breakfast", glad we brought some food and drink of our own. (A Brown bag that had a bottle of water, a pre-packaged muffin (reminded me of the Nursing Home) and an Orange.

Left the Hotel at 9AM, for the 10 minute drive to SWSD. Surprisingly the gates didn't open until 9:40, for a 10 AM opening.

SWSD is using their Parade Building/Tent as their Health Screening. Walk in one side, walk by stored floats, and a temperature screener (like Knott's) and exit the other. Then regular screening and a modified entrance queue designed for 6 foot distancing.

First show we sent to was Rescue Tails in the Pet's Rule facility. They had two "traveling educators" bringing out the animals normally brought to classrooms as ambassadors. Not a bad program.

The seating was scaled down and marked with red and green strips. After the show was over, they had a couple of guest ambassadors with flags, that controlled the exiting to have folks leave spread out in an ordinary fashion. (All shows were like that)

20210220_104411-XL.jpg

20210220_112735-XL.jpg

Both of us had the meal plan, so 12 items in total (2 cans of soda or a bottle of water equaled one food item). All items were packaged in to go containers with plastic lids.

All indoor venues were closed, outdoor viewing had plastic partitions to separate groups.

20210220_103448-XL.jpg

20210220_103326-XL.jpg

20210220_120743-X2.jpg

And for those roller coaster fans, Sunday morning, drove next to SWSD (Boat Launch) to watch some testing of Emperor.

This is great! If only because it's an example of a SoCal theme park working hard to be open. Good for Sea World!

Darkbeer1

>>After staying home for nearly a year, Americans would give anything to hit the road again. Anything.

Desperate vacationers said they would willingly give up love, sex or money in exchange for a trip, according to a recent survey by travel search site Trivago.

More than 80% of those polled said travel is a part of a well-rounded life.

To that end, nearly half, or 48%, would give up their job, 38% would give up sex for a year, one-quarter would fork over all of their savings and 1 in 5 said they would dump their partner if it meant they could take a trip in the near future. <<

denyuntilcaught

Thank you for the recap Darkbeer! In all of the hubbub of the COVID apocalypse, I had completely forgotten that SWSD was building CA's first dive coaster. Seeing it in your pictures is really bringing the adrenaline junkie out in me!

Stevek

Left the Hotel at 9AM, for the 10 minute drive to SWSD. Surprisingly the parking toll booths didn't open until 9:40, for a 10 AM opening.

First show we sent to was Rescue Tails in the Pet's Rule facility. They had two "traveling educators" bringing out the animals normally brought to classrooms as ambassadors. Not a bad program while the regular school visits are on hiatus due to COVID.

20210220_104411-XL.jpg

20210220_112735-XL.jpg

20210220_103448-XL.jpg

20210220_103326-XL.jpg

20210220_120743-X2.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pics DB.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom