Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

Travel Junkie

You know what's funny about that? As I was typing the analogy of President Bush not crying into his bullhorn at a destroyed World Trade Center I thought to myself "TP2000, you are only going to convince someone to Google up a photo of a President crying at some point in history." 🤣

And you got it.

I didn't know who the President would be, and if it would be a more recent situation of President Bush or Obama crying that was due to some national tragedy, or if it was going to be a historical situation like President Kennedy crying because the Secret Service had to quickly get the naked stewardesses out of the White House pool since Jackie was coming home early. But I figured we'd get a photo of a crying President at some point in history. 😭

Yeah you walked into that one.

To the larger point, leaders do cry. It doesn't make them a lesser person, quite the opposite. A lot of people have died and IMO many of them didn't have to. A health care professional being bothered by the loss of life is very reasonable assumption. I'm sure she probably feels she hasn't done enough even if many feel she and others in her position have done too much.

Darkbeer1

Judge Lifts Los Angeles County Ban On Outdoor Dining At Restaurants, But State Order Still In Effect | The Daily Wire

>>California Health and Human Services Agency Secretary Mark Ghaly on Tuesday acknowledged the state’s regional prohibition on outdoor dining has more to do with preventing gatherings and limiting movement than the activity itself.

“The decision to include among other sectors outdoor dining and limiting that – turning to restaurants to deliver and provide takeout options instead – really has to do with the goal of trying to keep people at home, not a comment on the relative safety of outdoor dining,” he said at a press briefing.

“We have worked hard with that industry to create safer ways for outdoor dining to happen – to keeping tables further apart, to ensuring masking happens as much as possible, to create opportunities for air circulation to continue – all of those factors make sectors like outdoor dining lower risk,” he said.<<

TP2000

Original Poster
Just hours later, however, five California state Assembly members dined together outside at a Sacramento restaurant.

Assembly members Adrin Nazarian, D-West Toluca Lake, Chad Mayes, I-Rancho Mirage, Tasha Boerner Horvath, D-Encinitas, Marc Levine, D-Marin County, and Chris Ward, D-San Diego, along with Mayes’ fiancée, attended a dinner Monday evening at Maydoon, a newer restaurant in Sacramento’s Midtown neighborhood.

When asked by a Sacramento Bee reporter about their decision to enjoy a multi-household outing, Nazarian responded by asking “Can we not have dinner?”<<

Oh, that's hysterical! And what a perfect quote.

"Can we not have dinner?" the state assemblyman asks incredulously.

You honestly can't make this stuff up. You just have to check the news every day. 🤣

Maydoon Restaurant. Five Stars on Yelp! Where Sacramento's Democrat Elite, Meet! Can we not have dinner?!?

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
So...OC ICU beds at 3% https://ochca.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/cc4859c8c522496b9f21c451de2fedae. Guess we're not arguing about Orange County being so special any more. And the shots of an empty Downtown Disney are the entire point why dining is restricted-it's gotten lots of people to stay home.

The "Adjusted" versus "Unadjusted" metric is brand new today. I have no idea what that means. Does anyone know?

The "Unadjusted" rate of ICU availability in OC is currently 11.3% with 257 people in the ICU today. Compared to the mid-summer peak when 245 people were in an ICU in OC on July 15th. But the "Adjusted" rate of ICU availability is 3.5%.

What the heck is the difference between the long-standing ICU metric being branded "Unadjusted" and then an "Adjusted" rate being different from that? How is it adjusted? By whom? For what reason I wonder? Either an ICU has a patient in it, or it doesn't.

That's fascinating!

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
And the shots of an empty Downtown Disney are the entire point why dining is restricted-it's gotten lots of people to stay home.

Don't worry, they're all at Irvine Spectrum and South Coast Plaza! I just chatted with a friend who said she circled for 20 minutes earlier tonight trying to find a parking spot at South Coast Plaza.

And because of Covid, South Coast Plaza has stopped offering their valet parking, which sends a lot of shoppers out into the nether reaches of surface parking lots to fend for themselves! For OC, that's like going into a darkened haunted house on Halloween. Scary!

JustinSt

Judge Lifts Los Angeles County Ban On Outdoor Dining At Restaurants, But State Order Still In Effect | The Daily Wire

>>California Health and Human Services Agency Secretary Mark Ghaly on Tuesday acknowledged the state’s regional prohibition on outdoor dining has more to do with preventing gatherings and limiting movement than the activity itself.

“The decision to include among other sectors outdoor dining and limiting that – turning to restaurants to deliver and provide takeout options instead – really has to do with the goal of trying to keep people at home, not a comment on the relative safety of outdoor dining,” he said at a press briefing.

“We have worked hard with that industry to create safer ways for outdoor dining to happen – to keeping tables further apart, to ensuring masking happens as much as possible, to create opportunities for air circulation to continue – all of those factors make sectors like outdoor dining lower risk,” he said.<<
So let us open outdoor dining.

George Lucas on a Bench

Don't worry, they're all at Irvine Spectrum and South Coast Plaza! I just chatted with a friend who said she circled for 20 minutes earlier tonight trying to find a parking spot at South Coast Plaza.

And because of Covid, South Coast Plaza has stopped offering their valet parking, which sends a lot of shoppers out into the nether reaches of surface parking lots to fend for themselves! For OC, that's like going into a darkened haunted house on Halloween. Scary!

I tried three consecutive nights to grocery shop after work and the parking lot looked like one of those huge auto dealerships. Stay at Home means Go Shopping.

Stevek

I tried three consecutive nights to grocery shop after work and the parking lot looked like one of those huge auto dealerships. Stay at Home means Go Shopping.
Must be very different depending on where you live. I've yet to see a line for anything out here in Corona...have not yet checked Costco though but I'd avoid that and Walmart like the plague anyways.

denyuntilcaught

I was going to say - the empty DTD isn't proof that closing restaurants is causing people to stay home. Quite the opposite - it's pushing people to more crowded places like the Spectrum and SCP.

People are just done.

el_super

The "Adjusted" versus "Unadjusted" metric is brand new today. I have no idea what that means. Does anyone know?

The adjusted ICU capacity takes into account the number of COVID patients in the ICU, and the additional stress they are putting on the system. The short version is: COVID patients require additional staffing and care which overall is reducing capacity.

I was going to say - the empty DTD isn't proof that closing restaurants is causing people to stay home. Quite the opposite - it's pushing people to more crowded places like the Spectrum and SCP.

People are just done.

Keeping the stores open at this point, does seem silly. Or at the very least, the malls needs to be closed.

Darkbeer1

Disneyland resort will close on Christmas Day for first time in decades – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

>>The annual tradition of trying to figure out when Disneyland will close its gate because of holiday crowds between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day won’t take place in 2020 because of the global coronavirus pandemic.

Downtown Disney and the partially reopened Disney California Adventure will be closed on Christmas Day, Dec. 25, along with the gates of Disneyland and the doors of Disney’s three Anaheim hotels.<<

Stevek

Disneyland resort will close on Christmas Day for first time in decades – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

>>The annual tradition of trying to figure out when Disneyland will close its gate because of holiday crowds between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day won’t take place in 2020 because of the global coronavirus pandemic.

Downtown Disney and the partially reopened Disney California Adventure will be closed on Christmas Day, Dec. 25, along with the gates of Disneyland and the doors of Disney’s three Anaheim hotels.<<
Good! Let these workers be home with their families.

Bob Harlem

People are just done.

Law of unintended consequences applies to these "lockdowns" people wind up going where they can, and congregating rather than spreading out in the areas that would actually be safer, such as Disneyland with WDW covid rules. Add it 2 weeks around Christmas and I bet California winds up a magnitude worse off than Florida after that. Outdoor things should be pushed over indoor things, but the current CA rules are so out of whack and inconsistent it'll wind up making things worse around Christmas.

Tinhorn Flats, a restaurant in Burbank is one of the growing list of restaurants defying the outdoor dining ban and just opening up.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Good! Let these workers be home with their families.

Agreed. And they should close again on New Year's Day, after closing by 8pm on New Year's Eve.

There's no point in trying to do anything different.

What few CM's that are left will probably love this! Merry Christmas! And a happy New Year! 🎄🥳

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster

People are just done.

Yes. This week's legal case showed even a highly-paid team of lawyers and bureaucrats from the biggest and wealthiest county in the nation can't come up with any Science & Data why Outdoor Dining should be closed.

And all this is doing is pushing young people, and the not so young, into indoor private homes for socializing.

It's an obvious example of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

October82

Law of unintended consequences applies to these "lockdowns" people wind up going where they can, and congregating rather than spreading out in the areas that would actually be safer, such as Disneyland with WDW covid rules. Add it 2 weeks around Christmas and I bet California winds up a magnitude worse off than Florida after that. Outdoor things should be pushed over indoor things, but the current CA rules are so out of whack and inconsistent it'll wind up making things worse around Christmas.

Tinhorn Flats, a restaurant in Burbank is one of the growing list of restaurants defying the outdoor dining ban and just opening up.

The danger with dining is that one does not wear a mask while eating. If the current public health orders redirect people from congregating at restaurants to congregating in malls while wearing masks, that is probably a net benefit.

Is it enough to keep hospitals overloaded and stop people from dying? I don't think so. But it certainly helps when compared to doing nothing. It's a really sad commentary that almost a year into this, we haven't figured out the basic principles of governance that would allow people to do what is needed to get the pandemic under control.

October82

Nothing makes a small business owner who has lost everything feel better than to hear he's closed because "it's better than nothing", the evil twin sister of the meaningless "Abundance of Caution".

Sorry, Mr. Small Businessman, we have no idea if closing you down actually does anything, but hey, it's better than nothing!

Let me rephrase - it's better than people dying without need. We would save more lives if people didn't go out shopping, but if it's between them shopping and them dining, shopping is better. Let's hope those regulations are effective because the alternative is not a thriving economy, it's literally people dying of a disease whose spread is preventable.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, we have had a choice as to whether to support small businesses or not. The federal government has failed to do so. If you need to blame someone, blame those in Washington DC who have failed to lead. But don't blame public health regulations and the people who make them for trying to save lives and get us all back to some sense of normalcy as soon as possible. They're not the problem here.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom